Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Check baggage through on BA + KA/CX separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire

I am planning a trip LHR-HKG on BA and HKG-PEN on KA/CX on 2 separate tickets.

Is it possible to check baggage through to PEN at LHR as the connection time in HKG is 1 hr 35 minutes which I imagine is too short to clear immigration, collect the bags, check in again and make the connection?

Before anyone asks, 2 tickets is because first on is 2-4-1, otherwise I would have just bought a through ticket.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
They are supposed to, but BA don't seem to like doing it. I tried to do this recently and they refused, but the website does state that they will, so you could try taking a print out of the site to the desk with you

Under "Checking in baggage" section
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...&link=main_nav

Baggage will normally be checked to your final destination, provided your journey is on the same ticket. However, if you hold separate tickets for the flights in your journey, we will only through check your baggage to your final destination if the connecting flights are operated by us or by another oneworld airline.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:42 am

thread here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-tickets.html
KA is not a OW airline though, it is an affiliate of CX so I guess the official answer is no unless maybe your flight has a CX number
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It should be possible. There are occasional stories of agents refusing, but I would hope the short connection time would make it clear why you need this. If your flight is on time, you can actually just about clear immigration and check in again, so long as the passport queues move swiftly. HKG is very slick as an airport. But I agree you won't want to try it for yourself.

What I advise (when I remember!) is get a post-it note stuck on to your passport. Have on it the following, it could make live a lot easier.

Your name
HKG-PEN
KA flight number
CX flight number
The KA/CX locator
The KX/CX ticket number
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
KA is a OW affiliate so it should be fine

https://www.oneworld.com/member-airl...ine-affiliates
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:44 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by caz312
thread here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-tickets.html
KA is not a OW airline though, it is an affiliate of CX so I guess the official answer is no unless maybe your flight has a CX number
KA is a oneworld affiliate under CX so the rules do apply.

As above, it is possible and should be done but will come down to the checkin agent. I have been refused, but had time to collect and recheck so didn't try another agent.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Thanks for all the responses.

I have a question that is slightly off topic.

If I arrive in to HKG on a business class ticket and am connecting to a flight booked in economy, can I use the Business Class lounge for a shower?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:42 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by wb1969
Thanks for all the responses.

I have a question that is slightly off topic.

If I arrive in to HKG on a business class ticket and am connecting to a flight booked in economy, can I use the Business Class lounge for a shower?
Connecting from/to a longhaul oneworld flight to shorthaul (under 5hrs) oneworld flight provides lounge access according to the longhaul class of service. Although you are not strictly connecting as you are on separate tickets, I think you will be fine accessing the CX or QF lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.