Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I Upgrade Only One Leg in a Multi-Leg Journey?

Old Sep 7, 15, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I already have a one-way booking for a multi-leg journey, BOM - LHR - JFK in WT+. Now for my travel date, when I use the "Book and upgrade" tool for the entire journey, no upgrade options appear (doing this just to check upgrade availability).

When I check just BOM - LHR for my flight on my said date, no upgrade availability appears.

However, when I check LHR - JFK, it shows that an upgrade is available to Club World. However, for my booking, I am unable to upgrade online using Avios for that particular lef of my journey. Also, will there be any additional *significant* charges to upgrade?

I have never done this before. New to the game. Thank you for your time.
Old Sep 7, 15, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Call. Should work. Simple check is to see if there is availability is to see if you can make a full redemption booking in CW on the same flight.
Old Sep 7, 15, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The charges will be the extra carrier surcharge from WTP to CW, so for LHR-JFK that would be about 50-60. There is no fee for doing a UuA.

Be careful as a known issue for a longhaul-longhaul multiple leg booking is that the agent may try and charge you the extra carrier surcharge for both legs even if you are only UuA'ing one leg. This is to do with how the agent sees the cost when they process your UuA. If they are quoting siginficatly more than 60 query it.
GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Sep 7, 15, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
The charges will be the extra carrier surcharge from WTP to CW, so for LHR-JFK that would be about 50-60. There is no fee for doing a UuA.

Be careful as a known issue for a longhaul-longhaul multiple leg booking is that the agent may try and charge you the extra carrier surcharge for both legs even if you are only UuA'ing one leg. This is to do with how the agent sees the cost when they process your UuA. If they are quoting siginficatly more than 60 query it.
That word of caution is very helpful...thank you!
Old Sep 8, 15, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

A follow-up question, will it be 60 per passenger or per PNR? In case the quote is significantly higher, do I ask for a supervisor?
Old Sep 8, 15, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
60ish per passenger. No need to ask for a supervisor if it's significantly higher, just get them to check what KARFA has said
GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Incorrect Upgrade Quote for WT+ to CW? USA -> LHR

Hi Karfa,

Thanks for your help in 2015 that helped make my honeymoon memorable! Wanted to ask you something on the same topic as I have now saved enough for another holiday

We are flying a multi-leg journey (2 passengers):

USA -> LHR -> Within Europe -> LHR -> USA

We are on World Traveller Plus from USA -> LHR and LHR-> USA. The London -> Europe flight is Economy

I wanted to upgrade both of us from World Traveller Plus to Club World for the USA -> LHR and the LHR -> USA segment

I was quoted 120,000 points (which is fine) + $1,472 in taxes.

I think the $1,472 quote is incorrect because the agent is charging me the extra carrier surcharge for four legs even if I am only UuA'ing two legs. Is this correct? Am I missing something? What should the correct charges be?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Oct 4, 18, 2:44 pm

Unfortunately, the quote is likely correct.

To take a random guess at your itinerary, say you're flying LAX-LHR-FCO / CDG-LHR-LAX, the difference in YQ between WT+ and CW is over $700 per person. See screenshots below. You'll need to give us your actual itinerary for an exact quote but it seems right.

You may well feel it's a rip-off, but there's not much that can be done about it I'm afraid.

GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
Unfortunately, the quote is likely correct.

You'll need to give us your actual itinerary for an exact quote but it seems right.
Thanks for your help! Exact itinerary below:

SFO -> LHR -> ATH -> LHR -> SFO
Travel is in 2019
SFO -> LHR and LHR -> SFO is in WT+
LHR -> ATH and ATH -> LHR is Economy

I want to upgrade the SFO -> LHR leg and the LHR -> SFO leg. I am being quoted 120,000 points + $1,472 USD. I find this high because in Dec 2015 (aka same thread, thanks to Kafra), I had upgraded LHR -> HOU for 2 from WT+ to CW for Avios (don't remember how much) + $40 per pax additional.
Old Oct 4, 18, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi GarudaSoars. No problem helping, I am glad the honeymoon was good.

So in terms of your USA-LHR-Europe booking, it is likely as Ldnn1 notes that what you have been quoted is correct. The reason for this is that there isn't much if any carrier surcharge levied on BA intra-Europe flights. This differs from the longhaul-.longhaul itinerary you had before in 2015.

If I look at LAX-LHR rtn as an example, so not including any short haul European flights, the taxes/fees/charges for one person are:

LAX-LHR rtn CW
$1,430.48

LAX-LHR rtn WTP
$694.48

So the difference, and therefore the amount I may expect to pay when upgrading with avios from WTP->CW would be about $735 per person.
GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Oct 4, 18, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GarudaSoars View Post
I want to upgrade the SFO -> LHR leg and the LHR -> SFO leg. I am being quoted 120,000 points + $1,472 USD. I find this high because in Dec 2015 (aka same thread, thanks to Kafra), I had upgraded LHR -> HOU for 2 from WT+ to CW for Avios (don't remember how much) + $40 per pax additional.
The difference this time is you have a US originating booking. Before you had an India originating booking so carrier surchage charged and differences between WTP and CW were not big. Unfortunately for US originating bookings carrier surcharge which BA levy is quite a bit higher for WTP and for CW, and the difference is much larger this time.
GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Oct 20, 18, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

I tried upgrading just the LHR -> ATH leg and I was quoted 17,000 Avios + $300 odd. However, if I look at the IATA Matrix website, there is no YQ quote for LHR -> ATH. Therefore, given I am not upgrading SFO -> LHR and just upgrading LHR -> ATH, shouldn't the charges be just 17,000 Avios and GBP 30 odd?
Old Oct 20, 18, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Update: Finally got through to an agent (3rd try) who said will check and call back. She did actually call back around 4hrs later. Got upgraded for only Avios and negligible tax difference of USD $2 approx.
DeathSlam likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: