Booking upgradable ticket with AA

Old Sep 7, 15, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Booking upgradable ticket with AA

Due to my company travel policy I am only allowed to book economy class with AA and they won't let me pay the difference in fare between Economy and First which is a pain. I'm flying internal from CLT to LAX and it would only cost me 300 to Fly F with AA which means a cool 420TPs

Does anyone know if there is a way to book Economy with AA and then go into the AA manage my booking equivalent and upgrade to First? Can this be actually be done or am I likely to end up booking an Economy class ticket which is then impossible to upgrade using ?

Thanks for your help as always!
Old Sep 7, 15, 4:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
If you're in control of the ticket (i.e. not a travel agent booking) then I think you can pay the fare difference to upgrade to F after the ticket has been issued. Then you could claim the economy back from your employer based on the original ticket receipt and travel in F based on your own additional payment.

Although you're interested in this from a TP perspective, you'll probably have more luck with this question on the AA/US forum as it's really not a BA question.
Old Sep 7, 15, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
If you're in control of the ticket (i.e. not a travel agent booking) then I think you can pay the fare difference to upgrade to F after the ticket has been issued. Then you could claim the economy back from your employer based on the original ticket receipt and travel in F based on your own additional payment.

Although you're interested in this from a TP perspective, you'll probably have more luck with this question on the AA/US forum as it's really not a BA question.
Great idea - I'll fire it across there and see what they say!
Old Sep 7, 15, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I don't think you get upgraded TPs/Avios though on AA do you - you just get those earned by the underlying booking?
Old Sep 7, 15, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flibbly View Post
I don't think you get upgraded TPs/Avios though on AA do you - you just get those earned by the underlying booking?
If it is a fare based upgrade with a reissued ticket, you do. You don't get TPs/Avios if you take an upgrade offer, be it in the manage booking or at the airport.
Old Sep 7, 15, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by flibbly View Post
Originally Posted by Gshumway View Post
If it is a fare based upgrade with a reissued ticket, you do. You don't get TPs/Avios if you take an upgrade offer, be it in the manage booking or at the airport.
Yes, that was my thinking too. An airport upgrade would be no good but a fare difference to pay to purchase an upgrade to an F fare class should result in the higher TPs.
Old Sep 7, 15, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Even a corporate TA might take your personal credit card and reissue the ticket in F. Depends a lot on policies and reporting (such as whether they report "class paid by company" or "class flown"). Asking the TA is free.
Old Sep 7, 15, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Even a corporate TA might take your personal credit card and reissue the ticket in F. Depends a lot on policies and reporting (such as whether they report "class paid by company" or "class flown"). Asking the TA is free.
If it's the company TA I'd be nervous of involving them if I were the OP given the express restriction by the company on the OP paying for the upgrade. That information might get back to the OP's employer. I don't think I'd even ask the TA if it were a corporate one.
Old Sep 7, 15, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The problem may be that if they reissue the ticket in F, they may change the record locator/ticket number. Also depending on the airline, if you change the fare class after the 24 hours cooling period, you have to pay an extra fee in addition to the price difference. And it would also not work if you work for a company that require copies of the boarding passes when doing the expense report.
Old Sep 7, 15, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SEW247 View Post
Due to my company travel policy I am only allowed to book economy class with AA and they won't let me pay the difference in fare between Economy and First which is a pain. I'm flying internal from CLT to LAX and it would only cost me 300 to Fly F with AA which means a cool 420TPs

Does anyone know if there is a way to book Economy with AA and then go into the AA manage my booking equivalent and upgrade to First? Can this be actually be done or am I likely to end up booking an Economy class ticket which is then impossible to upgrade using ?

Thanks for your help as always!
I have to ask why does the employer care? This seems to be a very unnecessary restriction. You may want to look for a new employer.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: