Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Haven't flown Y in 4 years....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Haven't flown Y in 4 years....

As a combination of sales, awards and work trips, I have been travelling long haul in J/F for the past 4 years.

Now I am going with mrs ITTF to Indonesia and the cheapest biz class I can see is for around 1500gbp give or take, this is ex-EU. This will also take anywhere from 20-28 hours depending on routing. My positioning flight is not included in the price or travel time.

Y flight in Malaysian from LHR, where I am based, is around 500gbp, this is on A380 and then onwards in a 777. Total travel time is 18-19hrs. I am BAEC silver so will have lounge access and priority boarding.

I can afford to pay 2k gbp extra for a biz flight (barely), but something is holding me back. Maybe I think Y won't be that bad?

What would you have done? Bite the Y bullet or pay for J flight?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:24 am

Not sure if this answers your question but I think it is occasionally good to sit in the back so that you know how much nicer it is up front!

I can't answer as to whether it is worth it or not but 18+ hours is a long time to realize you hate Y and should have paid the extra.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
People fly Y??
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
go for the Y flight!

the worst case is that it will make you appreciate all your J/F travel that bit more.

I did Y to PER a few years ago on Singapore and it was fine.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Don't despair - I survived 55 hours CHC-SYD-SIN-LHR-IAD in BA Y last year (okay, I lied, the last 10 hours was in F).
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I believe MH Y has the best seat pitch of any carrier - 34"

MH also has the ability to 'bid' for an upgrade. I've never got to the bottom of how it works but I believe if they have free seats, even a low ball offer will get you moved forward.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Book J, pay by credit card, have a great holiday and worry about it later!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
It shouldn't kill you (though your wife might )

I took advantage of a recent Y sale ex-CPH to go to LA for Ł250 return - I really couldn't resist at that price

For the outbound, I'm in 80A on the upper deck of a BA A380 (exit row at front of rear mini-cabin ) and for the inbound 16A on an AA 777 (exit row in Main Cabin Extra) so making the best of a bad job
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just to say, TK is offering Ł1320 via Kayak ex-LON into Jakarta for some dates I checked in the new year...
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
It depends on how much it will cost to rent the space suit that sitting in Y necessitates...

If you already own one, then fly Y...if you don't then its probably best to fly J

Chris

Last edited by Chris_G; Sep 7, 2015 at 1:50 am Reason: grammar
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Fly Y out and Y+ or J back on any airline you have status with. On the outbound you are still excited about the trip and don't care too much. On the way back you don't want the renewed energy you gained during the vacation to be drained in one flight...

Indonesia is best approached via SIN or KUL. BKK can be done too. Cheap AirAsia flights from there. Or Garuda, which is very good. Best to spend the money on nice hotels, IMHO.

You can always hope for an upgrade or maybe upgrade with miles later.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Thai Gold, JetPriviledge
Originally Posted by ITryToFly
As a combination of sales, awards and work trips, I have been travelling long haul in J/F for the past 4 years.

Now I am going with mrs ITTF to Indonesia and the cheapest biz class I can see is for around 1500gbp give or take, this is ex-EU. This will also take anywhere from 20-28 hours depending on routing. My positioning flight is not included in the price or travel time.

Y flight in Malaysian from LHR, where I am based, is around 500gbp, this is on A380 and then onwards in a 777. Total travel time is 18-19hrs. I am BAEC silver so will have lounge access and priority boarding.

I can afford to pay 2k gbp extra for a biz flight (barely), but something is holding me back. Maybe I think Y won't be that bad?

What would you have done? Bite the Y bullet or pay for J flight?
I had to fly Y on MH last year on this route on a 380. outbound was a dream as the plane was less than 1/2 full and as a OW Emerald I was singled out to be looked after very well. first they invited me to move to an empty row (CSD at seat welcome, Biz class amenity kit, 1st meal choice ahead of the meal service, regular drink top ups (individual not by trolley) and wine from Biz class. Same on the way back only this time less pleasant as flight was full so less space.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Travelling in Y gives you the best value for money out of status. I've always flown in Y and now that I have all the benefits (lounge, priority boarding, fast track, seat selection) it's great! Business is nice as a treat, but I won't be changing my habits.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Look if Finnair still have their sale. One week ago, I booked a LHR-HEL-PEK-HEL-LHR in J for 1100 GBP for my wife so she can join me on my next business trip.

It seems that on some days they have LHR-HEL-BKK-HEL-LHR for 1200 GBP and then follow with Henkybaby recommendation on Post #11.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Sep 7, 2015 at 2:14 am Reason: Add information
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
One thing to always bear in mind is the value of Avios gained - if you get 30,000 more Avios each for the J flights over Y flights (randomly picked figure) then that has a value of offset - not as much as the cash price, but it has an impact.

For me it's also about the pleasure of the holiday. I get excited by new routes/planes/cabins etc, so if it's a special holiday then I'll be much more excited about it if I've got something interesting to look forward to on the flight. If I'm just popping to NYC for a few days to visit friends, I might not be as fussed about paying huge amounts more to sit in a cabin I'm familiar with for 6 hours.

Last edited by Foltan; Sep 7, 2015 at 2:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.