Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK t7 arrivals - what can be done?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
I can sympathise with this (or should it be sympathize?) Went over on BA3 last year and it landed at the same time as an IB. Mrs. stifle and I did some shameless weaving through the slow-moving Spaniards and managed to clear ourselves in within half an hour of doors open.
LOL! Legends
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I do this route a fair bit. I try to avoid anything after the 177, as it just turns into mayhem with more Mandarin and Spanish spoken around you. On balance I find the 173 the ideal choice between not too early to wake up/London traffic and getting through CBP in good time. It helps, of course, to be off the aircraft quickly and to walk with determination.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
So it sounds like I'll be doing well in front of the IB pack landing at 1900
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WoodleyBeacon
Fortunately however a very proactive lady went along the queue asking if there were any second-time ESTA visitors, of which I was one, and we were invited to use the automated kiosks normally used by US citizens. That probably saved at least 15-20 minutes for me and effectively was a kind of fast-track.
The APC kiosks are always available to second-time and beyond ESTA visitors. The key is knowing this (or being told)! They are always pretty pro-active at ORD.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

If you're on 113 it's a real danger!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:49 pm

On 181 on Friday what should I expect / any tips?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pryda
A long wait. Tips? Run. Fast.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:21 pm

Pah! If there is one thing I am good at....
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
More an observation than anything, but after several awful immigration queues at JFK T7, I try always to go via BA1 or, failing that, EWR, and even though this latter is also PANYNJ I have never had a wait longer than 25 minutes.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pryda
Book wheelchair assistance?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:05 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you're on 113 it's a real danger!
I'm on 113 next week (hoping AA will do SDFC for me!)
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The APC kiosks are always available to second-time and beyond ESTA visitors. The key is knowing this (or being told)! They are always pretty pro-active at ORD.
(1) Is this second time ever having used an ESTA, or second time using your currently valid ESTA?

(2) When will they be getting them at T7?

Incidentally, the best thing to have IME whilst waiting in the CBP queue is a 3 phone. 3 waives roaming fees for 18 countries including the USA.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... Incidentally, the best thing to have IME whilst waiting in the CBP queue is a 3 phone. 3 waives roaming fees for 18 countries including the USA.
Which of course should be switched off until you reach the land side of Customs to avoid the risk of being shot, arrested or barked at!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:56 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Which of course should be switched off until you reach the land side of Customs to avoid the risk of being shot, arrested or barked at!
Quite likely in that order as well! Doing anything outside the rules in US immigration areas is a risk I'd personally not want to take ... at the very least if you're spotted you're looking at a longer interrogation at the desk, and possibly worse.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
(1) Is this second time ever having used an ESTA, or second time using your currently valid ESTA?

(2) When will they be getting them at T7?
It's "at least one occasion after 2008 on an ESTA, without having had a Green Card or Visa in between and then reverting to ESTA". So for 99% of people, second time on an ESTA, even if it is not the current ESTA, is OK. To keep it simple, the CBP staff sometimes say "second time on this ESTA", which probably works for 80% of people, but the real criteria is broader than that. The computer knows the full story, and in fact there's no harm trying and being rejected. Some places, IAH and BOS of yore, have tried to keep non North Americans off the machines, in order the speed them up and thus redeploy more agents on the aliens, but that should have stopped.

There are no current plans to put the machines in T7 due to the awkward layout of the hall and the entrance area, plus the lease complexities (now resolved). Bit chicken and egg in my view, since if they had the machines they wouldn't need to queue down the corridor, but that's what I've been told. However there were a long list of airports that were not going to get APC, and now do, so while it may be at the back of the list, I would speculate that there will be machines there in 2 years or so.

As to what can be done about T7, it's a case of the earlier the better, the first few flights seem to be fine, it's the late ones that are bad, unless BA183 is running about 30 minutes late and there's no adverse weather (etc) at the New York end, but that time it tends to be quite quiet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.