Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Views on compensation offered [problem seat in F]

Views on compensation offered [problem seat in F]

Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
I wonder if I could canvas the views of the forum. I travelled back from JFK-LHR last week with my wife and son. It was an Avios redemption flight in First.

[/SNIP]

1) Is 10k low, any thoughts on whether they are likely to offer more if I push further?

2) Should I have mentioned the IFE and vegetarian food issues?

My BA experiences to date have always been positive and this was the first trip with issues.

Views please.
I'd be mighty miffed at ending up on a different aircraft to family, especially if son is reasonably young. It would completely undermine efforts to enjoy the flight in any cabin .

So somewhat optimistically I'd treat it as an experience downgrade for all from F to J at 20k per pax (if I read the chart correctly) . The 60k that results in sounds high, but getting that would leave me feeling satisfied and less would not.

I would mention the other things as it may sway someone to go higher rather than lower on overall compensation. In effect both legs were undermined for you . Call it another 10k .

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Sep 1, 2015 at 4:17 pm Reason: Rewording offspring description: "child" -> "son"
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by nux
A downgrade to J would be 75% refund of the fare paid.
How is that handled by BA on redemptions. Do you get back 75% of the Avios, or some fraction of a notional cash fare?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
How is that handled by BA on redemptions. Do you get back 75% of the Avios, or some fraction of a notional cash fare?
Firstly BA hate paying up on downgrades and tend to reach a cash settlement somewhere in the middle after much prevarication. However there is nothing to prevent them from refunding the requisite Avios as part of the agreed outcome, plus cash for the money side of the redemption, and it does sometimes happen.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:14 pm

[deleted - CWS answered better than I did]
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
UPDATE

I replied to the offer of 10k on the day I received it 6 weeks ago and heard nothing.

This afternoon I tweeted BA about the lack of a reply and within 3 hours the offer had been upped to 40k Avios.

I consider that to be fair and have accepted it.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to comment on the thread.

My trip report is nearly ready. It's a video report narrated by me. Not sure if that's a first for this board?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This afternoon I tweeted BA about the lack of a reply and within 3 hours the offer had been upped to 40k Avios.

I consider that to be fair and have accepted it.
Thanks for updating the thread. I think 40k is a reasonable settlement, but what matter is whether it reaches a closure with you, which is the case here.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for updating the thread. I think 40k is a reasonable settlement, but what matter is whether it reaches a closure with you, which is the case here.
^

It seems that twitter is now the quickest way to get large corporations to respond to customer care issues.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: Working towards being a Bronze member
I'm pleased you have been able to resolve your query. The initial offer did appear very low.

The Twitter team are growing considerably, and as they're 24 hours it is a good way to get queries action in a more timely way.
We have more recruitment in Newcastle to try and improve the overall service and response times.

"All posts are my own and not of my employer"
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Glad to hear the OP got an answer that seems reasonable.

I know that we mostly focus on EC261 compensation here for IDB, but I thought it was worth mentioning for posterity that US regulations could also have applied given the flight originated at JFK.

Basically an IDB resulting in a delay over 1 hour is entitled to a maximum of $650 or 200% of the fare paid, and over 4 hours is $1300 or 400%. In the case of an award ticket, the cash calculation is based in the lowest cash fare paid for that class of service (I would argue it should be changed to highest, but I'm getting further off topic). For paid tickets EC261 is perhaps more favorable for an IDB claim, but for an award ticket, the US regulations are probably better if you want cash instead of avios.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/flyrights.htm#overbooking has more details.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My trip report is nearly ready. It's a video report narrated by me. Not sure if that's a first for this board?
I did one once but couldn't publish it as all you could hear was the wife wittering on in the background.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
baggageinhall, hope you're happy with the result. 40,000 would upgrade you and your wife from Club to First on another flight of similar length to LHR-JFK on another occassion.

I'm just wondering at what point your wife learned what flight you actually took. Did she know you were put on an earlier one at JFK or only on arrival at LHR?

Curiosity, only.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I did one once but couldn't publish it as all you could hear was the wife wittering on in the background.
Some of us would love to hear what your wife has to say about quite a few things!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
One of the reasons it's taking so long to record is that I can only do so when my wife and son are out of the house!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
baggageinhall, hope you're happy with the result. 40,000 would upgrade you and your wife from Club to First on another flight of similar length to LHR-JFK on another occassion.
I am indeed and that's exactly what it will be used for. We're planning another trip to NYC in 2016 and the 40k will be used to upgrade us.

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
I'm just wondering at what point your wife learned what flight you actually took. Did she know you were put on an earlier one at JFK or only on arrival at LHR?

Curiosity, only.
We were on the 21.10 flight. At the aircraft door at about 20.45 my wife and son boarded and we were told that I would be on the last flight of the day which was delayed to 23.30

(Went back to the CCR and had a boarding pass for the 21.40 handed to me about 10 minutes after I got there)

Wife told that I was definitely on the 23.30 flight when they were 30 mins landing LHR.

On arrival at LHR they were met by BA Ground Crew who told them that I was on the 21.40
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Happytohelp
I'm pleased you have been able to resolve your query. The initial offer did appear very low.

The Twitter team are growing considerably, and as they're 24 hours it is a good way to get queries action in a more timely way.
We have more recruitment in Newcastle to try and improve the overall service and response times.

"All posts are my own and not of my employer"
I think the twitter team are fantastic. One of the best in their peers and possibly one of the best in travel. Right speed for answering, helped me out when I had a problem overseas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.