Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lockers not opening during flight on A380?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Lockers not opening during flight on A380?

Heard from an American friend who recently did a return LHR-JNB trip.
I asked him what he thought about the 380. He replied:

At first, I loved the three lockers on the side under the windows. Those things were huge and you could stuff all kinds things in there without getting up to go in the overheads. Add to that, it gave you a side table with lots of elbow room. In all, it was a fantastic seat.

Then a couple of hours into the flight I couldn't open my locker where my important stuff was. They work by pressing down, then they pop up. I was pressing down in all kinds of ways and it wouldn't open. Finally called a flight attendant and she tried to open it and couldn't. Then she called one of the senior attendants. This lady balled up her fist and came down like a hammer a couple of times on it and it popped open.

On the return flight, I had pretty much the same seat I think. The lockers worked just fine on the ground and during the first few hours of flight, so I once again put my most important stuff in one. In the middle of the flight, when everyone was asleep, it wouldn't open again. This time I needed stuff out of it, but I couldn't whack down on it because it would have awakened everyone around me.

Finally, during descent I tapped down on it and it popped open. So I say this about the A380, I loved it except for the stupid lockers!

Apparently they work just fine on the ground, but not so much in the air. I'm sure it's something to do with the temperature and the shape of the airplane being altered.

Anybody else experienced this? He thinks he was in the same seat so it could have been the same 380!
My experience was they became a bit irritatiing because they kept opening with very little pressure required.
LHR FLYER likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by chrismk

Anybody else experienced this?
I can't say I have had that problem. If anything, they pop open too easily.

I have encountered some stiff ones on 747 though. The best way is to put a bit of weight on them (just pushing them sitting down doesn't put much weight on them, so standing up and pressing down with palms of one's hands with weight on them work a treat).
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BA gold
Never had that problem, as LTN Phobia said, they tend to pop up too easily to the point of being annoying.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:54 am

I've only been up there once (also LHR-JNB... the way back was downstairs in F). I'll second that for me they opened too easily. If I had anything sitting on top the locker would pop open as soon as I picked it up. Not a major hassle, but obviously the sensitivity for opening/closing needs some adjustment. Maybe they did that, and now it won't open easily enough.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've had the same experience - the latches on these window lockers are badly designed. Sometimes they work - sometimes they don't - either by keeping firmly closed, or not wanting to close at all. (Is this an Airbus or BA design?)
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by CKBA
I've had the same experience - the latches on these window lockers are badly designed. Sometimes they work - sometimes they don't - either by keeping firmly closed, or not wanting to close at all. (Is this an Airbus or BA design?)
Airbus design. It's the same issue on QF, MH and SQ when I flew on their A380s.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schultzois
I've only been up there once (also LHR-JNB... the way back was downstairs in F). I'll second that for me they opened too easily. If I had anything sitting on top the locker would pop open as soon as I picked it up. Not a major hassle, but obviously the sensitivity for opening/closing needs some adjustment. Maybe they did that, and now it won't open easily enough.
Thirded. I tents to rest my arms on them and they keep popping open! And occasionally takes a couple tries to close. Of course, not the end of the world...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
How many service recovery Avios is this worth? 40,000?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The OH had this problem too ... locker lid wouldn't open. Cured by a bang with my fist.

Bloody awful design! Why not just have a simple mechanical catch, which solves both potential problems?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The issue of stubborn locker latches has been driving me to distraction lately. It seems no journey from HKG is complete without the dawn chorus of thud, thud, thud...

This problem appears to be related to the spring located behind the small metal bearing inside the latch - the downward pressure should push the bearing back into its housing, unlatching the panel but if the spring is too tight the bearing won't move so the panel remains closed.

Following a trick I learned from a delightful and resourceful crew member who came to my aid a few months ago, I now carry a Pentel P207 mechanical pencil but any pointed metal instrument will do the trick. Locate the latch (at the centre of the panel) and insert the pencil into the gap below the lid then gently apply pressure onto the bearing. Some persistence may be required but it usually works in the end.

If you have a more effective work around, please do share. Also, I was wondering if this problem is unique to BA's A380s or perhaps its more widespread.
stevebintley likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:52 am

I find that a large screwdriver will open most things!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
I had the same issue and thought it was because I had drank too much champagne in the CCR! I eventually figured out about 30 mins later that if you push down on the latch (as normal) but also push the side of the latch it would pop open.
Glad its not just me thats experienced this, I was starting to look at my alcohol intake pre departure!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LHR FLYER
I had the same issue and thought it was because I had drank too much champagne in the CCR! I eventually figured out about 30 mins later that if you push down on the latch (as normal) but also push the side of the latch it would pop open.
Glad its not just me thats experienced this, I was starting to look at my alcohol intake pre departure!
I was going to post something fairly similar (well, minus the champers obvs). I was thinking on my last 380 flight, which is the longish daytime service to Vancouver, that BA had somehow improved the latch, since it was working better, but in fact all that has happened is that I've ingrained the knack to it. My version is that it is pressure and timing dependent so you can either push the side of the latch as above or introduce a pregnant pause into the process and do a slight sideways movement with the palm of your hand or thumb. Doesn't help with the middle distance thump thump thump however, it appear some people only fly once or twice a year, strangely.
LHR FLYER, Prospero and chrismk like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I find that a large screwdriver will open most things!
Yeah probably also "opens "your hand baggage from an enquiring security agent before you reach the lounge!! 😉
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If it’s supposed to move but doesn't = WD40

if it’s not supposed to move but does = duct tape.
aardvarkdave and stevebintley like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.