Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New e-gates in T5 LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just to update this for T5 arrivals. The keen eyed will have noticed some building work around the e-gates recently. Well the covers are nearly off, and an additional 9 e-gates are being added to the collection, to bring the total up to 25 e-gates in all. I would guess the new gates will come on stream in the next few days.
Hopefully they'll also employ a few more Officers to sit in the booths to double-check the e-Gates.

Having plenty of e-Gates, and having plenty of open e-Gates, are two very different options.

M
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:02 pm

I'm assuming this conclusively makes (or will make) T4 the worst port of entry in LHR? My last few arrivals into the southernmost terminal have been filled less with nostalgia and more with annoyance at waiting in a queue snaking down the corridor toward 6 (or fewer!) eGates.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CD747
I'm assuming this conclusively makes (or will make) T4 the worst port of entry in LHR?
Yes it is not good over there, or rather it hasn't improved at the rate of the other 3 terminals. On the other hand, it isn't Stansted....
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by father_ted
T3 had some interesting problems the other day. A large number of the gates were accepting passengers, scanning the passports and making initial moves to align the camera, but very promptly failing to 'seek assistance'. I personally tried multiple gates with the same result. UK and European passports alike were being rejected.

Interestingly, about 15% of passengers on these gates successfully advanced to the face-matching procedure.

For reference, my passport is relatively new, has worked in these gates many times before, and caused no raised eyebrows when inspected by the old-fashioned method, including a scan in the computer.
I must have been there the same day as you. Only about 4/5 gates "on" out of 15-18(?). A large proportion of rejects and I knew I was in the wrong queue when the four people in front of me were reversing out. Sometimes I wonder if it's better just to head straight for the exception queue.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to update this for T5 arrivals. The keen eyed will have noticed some building work around the e-gates recently. Well the covers are nearly off, and an additional 9 e-gates are being added to the collection, to bring the total up to 25 e-gates in all. I would guess the new gates will come on stream in the next few days.
Any progress on Int->Dom?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, AA Plat Pro, HH Gold
Are the E-Gates usable by U.S. passport holders with the chip in the passport?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by StarlightSusan
Are the E-Gates usable by U.S. passport holders with the chip in the passport?
Only if you have paid for it and signed up here: https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Yes it is not good over there, or rather it hasn't improved at the rate of the other 3 terminals. On the other hand, it isn't Stansted....
I am rarely one to praise Stansted these days. However the e-gates there are usually adequately staffed and though the queue looks torturous it usually progresses quickly; in my several entries each month I do not think I have had to wait more than a few minutes in line.

The non-EU line can be very slow, unfortunately, and at least one member of staff marshalling the queue is astonishingly rude (I have not seen him for some time so perhaps he has been fired, good riddance if so).

But if you are e-gate-capable, it's usually ok these days,
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I do wish they'd open more, assuming they are 100% automatic (which I assume they are?) why not leave all of them open all of the time? Another of lifes great mysteries I guess.

Do we know if they are the same make/model as the ones already installed? The light always reflects off my glasses and after an agonising 60 seconds it rejects me (I try and take my glasses off but sometimes forget until it's too late). The ones in Italy seem perfectly OK with my glasses, taking on average 5 seconds to recognise me and let me through.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by streetmagix
I do wish they'd open more, assuming they are 100% automatic (which I assume they are?) why not leave all of them open all of the time? Another of lifes great mysteries I guess.

Do we know if they are the same make/model as the ones already installed? The light always reflects off my glasses and after an agonising 60 seconds it rejects me (I try and take my glasses off but sometimes forget until it's too late). The ones in Italy seem perfectly OK with my glasses, taking on average 5 seconds to recognise me and let me through.
They are not fully automatic. They were designed to be, but if they are set for that very few people get through (at one extreme) or husbands get through on their wife's passport (at the other extreme).

For spectacles, since part of this is about measurement data, you are best to take your spectacles off for both scans, to avoid light refraction off the lenses causing the algorithm not to work.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Do the e-gates struggle with new style passports?

I got a new passport in December 2016. The photo page is much flimsier than my previous passport issued in 2006. I'd guess it fails about 70% of the time at the e-gates. Sometimes it works at second attempt, and sometimes it fails a couple of times and tells me to seek assistance.

Last time I needed to seek assistance I asked the officer if this was a big issue. He said "98%" of new passports fail due to the photo pages being too reflective. My impression was that he was referring to a dodgy batch of passports. I assume an exaggeration! But am I just unlucky?

Apologies if already covered.

Edit to add: the 98% comment was in LHR T3, but most of my issues (flights) are T5.

Last edited by woglet86; Apr 24, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
They are not fully automatic. .
They work ​​​by showing the photo on the chip on the passport and the users face to an immigration officer.

The officer has 8 triple images to look at​​​​ And has to press a button to let the person through or not.

So 1 officer per 8 gstes. That's why they open in batvbrd of 8.

​​​​​JustJust aa waywayto streamline a human process.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
Originally Posted by woglet86

I got a new passport in December 2016. The photo page is much flimsier than my previous passport issued in 2006. I'd guess it fails about 70% of the time at the e-gates. Sometimes it works at second attempt, and sometimes it fails a couple of times and tells me to seek assistance.

Last time I needed to seek assistance I asked the officer if this was a big issue. He said "98%" of new passports fail due to the photo pages being too reflective. My impression was that he was referring to a dodgy batch of passports. I assume an exaggeration! But am I just unlucky?

Edit to add: the 98% comment was in LHR T3, but most of my issues (flights) are T5.
I have had this issue since I got my passport last year. They have checked the picture on the mobile picture thing they have behind the reject counter! Last agent said to me to try and insert my passport all the way in and pull out slightly as she said the new picture page is slightly smaller... was going to try when I get back from Brazil later this week
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by woglet86

I received my new passport in November and since then I have noticed that although the LHR T5 e gates are find all the other e gates I have used in Europe have had issues plus check-in counters and immigration counters in the US have problems reading the passport.

Either they try multiple times or on the 2nd try they manually input the details.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
I don't understand why they just can't all be on at all times.

The other day I landed behind an AY A350 flight - the machines were rejecting every Finnish passport and even the lady said "sometimes we have problems with Finnish passports". The queue for a manual check snaked out.

At the same time the flimsy British passports don't always work either. Why can't there be a standard machine in the world, that is fast, efficient and high quality?? The back end can be proprietary for each country....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.