Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

You are unlikely to starve on your flight.
I think my mother use to say something similar.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Debating between these two on my mid April LHR-SAN F flight:
  • Seared fillet of aged Herefordshire beef with caramelised caper butter and red wine sauce, roast vine tomatoes, wild mushrooms and pine nut
  • Roast fillet of halibut with Brixham crab bisque, preserved lemon and buttered samphire
Sounds like it’s on many of the menus. If you have one or both, I’d love to hear your assessment.
Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:47 am

Menu in F for BA183 LHR > JFK on 06 May

Starters
  • King crab, avocado and button mushroom tartare, gazpacho
  • Slow roasted beef carpaccio, parmesan truffle creme fraiche
  • Grilled asparagus, soy hollandaise
  • Caramelised pea soup, deep fried ricotta
  • Seasonal mixed leaf salad served with honey mustard dressing
Main
  • Grilled Welsh lamb cutlets, potato gratin, rosemary jus
  • British fish medley South coast lemon sole, King prawn, Scottish salmon
  • Baked goose liver and artichoke canneloni, black and white truffle sauces
  • Lebanese roasted cauliflowers tomato jam and yoghurt Parsley oil
Desserts
  • Raspberry yuzu and white chocolate cannelloni
  • Baked chocolate mousse, poached pear
  • Ice cream Sundae
Cheese Plate
  • West Country Farm cheddar, Artisan perl wensleydale, Brock blue cheese, Mayfield semi hard cheese served with green tomato chutney, green and blue cheese
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Service Question

Upon awaking in F on our recent SEA-LHR flight, the FA serviced the cabin from back to front for breakfast, the opposite of the dinner service. I was up front. Although I was one of the first to awaken, I was one of the last to be served, even a first cup of coffee, which I sorely needed. Granted I didn't ask, but the FA , fairly young and I believe new, was so busy working the cabin to the other back of cabin passengers, I felt uncomfortable asking. She approached each passenge , took their order then disappeared until the order was ready to be served, doing one passenger at a time. It took about 30 minutes or so to get my service.

Is this norm?

I felt this was one of the only annoying issues..... I need my early morning coffee.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by david55
Upon awaking in F on our recent SEA-LHR flight, the FA serviced the cabin from back to front for breakfast, the opposite of the dinner service. I was up front. Although I was one of the first to awaken, I was one of the last to be served, even a first cup of coffee, which I sorely needed. Granted I didn't ask, but the FA , fairly young and I believe new, was so busy working the cabin to the other back of cabin passengers, I felt uncomfortable asking. She approached each passenge , took their order then disappeared until the order was ready to be served, doing one passenger at a time. It took about 30 minutes or so to get my service.

Is this norm?

I felt this was one of the only annoying issues..... I need my early morning coffee.
I had a similar ish experience last year. What I put it down to is that there isn’t really a set ‘second meal service’ given that it is dine on demand and you could have asked for it at any time. We were almost at the 40 mins to landing mark when my wife - having waited patiently for her turn to be served was asked - ‘did you want anything more to eat today?’. To us it was obviously yes, but given that the idea is that you ask for what you want any time I guess the crew were working on the assumption that we would ask for what we wanted.

As is is so often the case with these things - if you want something, ask for it!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Menu in F BA173 LHR-JFK 27 Apr 2019. I'm thinking Vitello tonnato, soup, turbot or chicken, then cheese later in the flight!

----------------------------
BA173 London to New York 11:20

See the menus below for the meals you'll be served on your flight.Starters
  • Loch Fyne smoked salmon tartar, lime and yuzu crčme fraiche
  • Vitello tonnato
  • Warm miso and teriyaki glazed aubergine
  • Sweet potato soup and coconut
  • Mixed Leaf salad served with Honey Mustard Dressing
Main
  • Seared fillet of Scottish beef, red wine jus, potato terrine
  • Grilled fillet of North Atlantic turbot, tomato confit, lemon butter
  • Roasted free range British spring chicken, with lemon and rosemary, potato puree, chicken jus
  • Handmade agnolotti, morels, pan fried asparagus, panna sauce
Desserts
  • Dark chocolate bar, fresh mango, mint
  • Baked brioche with apricot confiture, vanilla Anglaise
  • Ice cream Sundae
Cheese Plate
  • Black bomber, Baron bigod brie, Kidderton ash goats cheese, Yorkshire blue served with Red onion chutney, green and blue grapes
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by david55

Is this norm?

No, it's not the norm - never be shy at pressing that call bell. When I wake I'm off to the lav and then that bell is pressed if no one arrives within a few minutes.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Menu in CW BA31 LHR-HKG on 5th May - will go for the smoked salmon and the chicken. Undecided on dessert but if anyone has had the key lime pie 'new style' - what is the new style?

Starters
  • Loch Fyne smoked salmon tartar (sp) with wasabi coleslaw
  • Spice roasted cauliflower with Beluga lentils, lime cream and fresh mint leaves
  • Sweet potato and coconut soup
Salad
  • Smoked red pepper chickpea salad with sun dried tomatoes and hummus crčme fraiche served with lemon olive and yoghurt dressing
Mains
  • Chicken with ginger and spring onion, steamed pak choi, carrots and fragrant jasmine rice
  • Braised Welsh lamb shank with roasted potatoes, leek sauce and minted peas
  • Goats cheese cappellacci with grilled Mediterranean vegetables and mushroom panna sauce
Dessert
  • Key lime pie new style
  • White chocolate mousse
  • Sticky toffee pudding
  • Strawberry mango salad
  • Northumberland Oak smoked cheese, Colston basset stilton and Somerset camembert
Globaliser likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No idea so have both, maybe all of them.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Flying CW on 10th May from LHR to NRT. Just clicked on the Order meals button and once I get through to the next screen it says:
"
  • You will be served complimentary food and drinks on-board. Unfortunately, ordering your meal in advance is not available for this flight.
So the same option as you get when flying into LHR.

Is it likely that the choices will be offered at some point before the flight or is it to do with the catering changes with D&Co coming onboard? (or another possible reason?!)
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
Flying CW on 10th May from LHR to NRT. Just clicked on the Order meals button and once I get through to the next screen it says:
"
  • You will be served complimentary food and drinks on-board. Unfortunately, ordering your meal in advance is not available for this flight.
So the same option as you get when flying into LHR.

Is it likely that the choices will be offered at some point before the flight or is it to do with the catering changes with D&Co coming onboard? (or another possible reason?!)
Check back tomorrow or Friday. You should have a choice around the 30 day mark. It's not always exactly on that day.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Cool thanks. Realised I miscounted and thought it was 28 days today I fly not 30 anyway so hopefully that's why. It's been a long week! ;-)
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC silver
A quick question as Im getting ready for my First first , am I allowed to ask for more than I item from say the starters or desserts? I wouldnt want to give myself a showing up as my mother would say but do fancy trying the delice and charlotte from my menu . So far 7 of the 14 seats are taken but didnt know if they only load enough for each passenger. Im very excited but also nervous that I dont make a fool of myself especially as travelling solo.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldensunset
A quick question as Im getting ready for my First first , am I allowed to ask for more than I item from say the starters or desserts? I wouldnt want to give myself a showing up as my mother would say but do fancy trying the delice and charlotte from my menu . So far 7 of the 14 seats are taken but didnt know if they only load enough for each passenger. Im very excited but also nervous that I dont make a fool of myself especially as travelling solo.
Yes! I almost always have a starter, then the soup, before moving on to the rest of the menu. I've also had two desserts, a dessert followed by cheese, pretty much every combination In First I'd say the approach is "If you don't ask, you don't get", the crew will soon tell you if there's not sufficient loaded etc.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by FEMW
Menu in CW BA31 LHR-HKG on 5th May - will go for the smoked salmon and the chicken. Undecided on dessert but if anyone has had the key lime pie 'new style' - what is the new style?
That's really the CW menu? All I get is a simple list of three mains to choose from, and none of them are that exciting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.