Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
Originally Posted by ttama
I totally agree. There seem to be a lot more dishes with prawns, crab and lobster, which rules them out for me. And a lot more nuts across all the courses, these days. I think they're trying to kill me!!
I'm also flying to LA and got the above menu. My parents are flying to Sao Paolo a couple of weeks later and got it too. It isn't very friendly for allergens/kosher/veggies. All meat and seafood with a really unremarkable veggie option. The second meal had mac'n'cheese as the veggie choice - in First! I asked about the VL menu and it was pasta, pasta and more pasta, so after 8 years of travelling in F I've finally gritted my teeth and booked a kosher meal. I do not understand why every fish dish has to have shellfish on it. On the way back it isn't as bad, but again the fish has a shellfish sauce, which I know they can just leave out as it comes separately packed, but with so many people avoiding shellfish you'd think they wouldn't put it in everything.

What I don't get is why, if they have the facility to allow pre-ordering, they don't make more of it, through a 'book the cook' model. Publish a large list of main meals and a list of light meals one of each of which can be pre-ordered. New ones can be rotated in and less popular ones rotated out, but it will allow passengers to choose from a huge number of dishes before the flight, to suit all dietary needs and preferences. This will ensure everyone gets what they ordered and reduce waste. Then restrict the 'order on board' choice to one meat and one vegetarian option. The only extras need to be the cheeses, fruit, chocolates and snacks.
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Ba123 lhr-doh 31/1/19 f

Pre-order Menu includes:

Roasted Arabic spiced neck of lamb with Kouzi Rice, pistachio and pine nuts with green bean tomato stew and lamb pomegranate sauce

anyone tried this?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by ManchesterBDFlyer
What I don't get is why, if they have the facility to allow pre-ordering, they don't make more of it, through a 'book the cook' model. Publish a large list of main meals and a list of light meals one of each of which can be pre-ordered. New ones can be rotated in and less popular ones rotated out, but it will allow passengers to choose from a huge number of dishes before the flight, to suit all dietary needs and preferences. This will ensure everyone gets what they ordered and reduce waste. Then restrict the 'order on board' choice to one meat and one vegetarian option. The only extras need to be the cheeses, fruit, chocolates and snacks.
Agreed seems a great opportunity is lost however I probably say its down to flight disruptions, flight changes etc etc however just three or four "standard" CW options could be a winner. No different that having other standard special meal choices really.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, United MP member, Marriott Reward Silver member, IHG, KimptonKarma
Originally Posted by Elegance645

BA273 London to San Diego 13:45 in Feb

Main

Seared sea trout, brown shrimp butter, sage and hispy cabbage
Braised Irish Ox cheek, pearl barley and chanterelles risotto and green beans
Stracciatella and black truffle tortelloni with leek velouté
I am flying CW for first time in Nov on BA273 to SAN and hope the choice of mains is better than this or I might have to order a children’s meal as chicken and mash is more appealing
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Originally Posted by Elegance645

BA273 London to San Diego 13:45 in Feb

Starters

Prawn cocktail with baby gem and Marie rose sauce
Roasted butternut squash and red onion tartlet, Granny Smith apple salad, truffle mayo
Celeriac cream soup with soused black currants
Fresh Seasonal salad of shredded kale, bulgur wheat, pear and pomegranate served with your choice of Honey Mustard Dressing or Creamy tarragon dressing
Main

Seared sea trout, brown shrimp butter, sage and hispy cabbage
Braised Irish Ox cheek, pearl barley and chanterelles risotto and green beans
Stracciatella and black truffle tortelloni with leek velouté
Dessert

Raspberry cremeux
Chocolate & Salted Caramel Millie Feuille
Black cherry frangipane with vanilla crème anglaise
Blueberries and raspberries
Orsom Lester Vintage Red,Somerset Camembert,Fourme D'Ambert served with pecan nuts, biscuit and fig relish

As as a non cheese eater I have to say the above options aren’t inspiring for a winter flight of that duration. Some of the other menus shown look really appetising.
Same menu on 295 to ORD on 8 February.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Can I have pre-order meal in economy class? I'm flying out LHR-PHX on March 11.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by N830MH
Can I have pre-order meal in economy class?
Yes - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...economy-dining
Order your main meal in advance

You can decide to replace the complimentary main meal we offer everyone by choosing and purchasing your in-flight meal from our exclusive online menu between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight. This meal option is available on many flights departing from London Heathrow and includes drinks at no extra cost.

If you choose not to order a meal online, we'll offer you a complimentary standard meal.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74

BA59 London to Cape Town in F in Feb

Starters

• Smoked sea trout mousse with Brixham crab and apple purée
  • Walnut and Gorgonzola ravioli with goat's cheese crumble, candied pumpkin seeds and a pumpkin cream sauce
  • Spiced red lentil soup with crisp maple cured bacon
  • Fresh seasonal salad with a choice of Classic olive oil vinaigrette dressing or Caesar dressing

Main

• Seared fillet of Herefordshire beef, Café de Paris butter, grilled Portobello mushroom, slow roasted tomato and roasted charlotte potatoes
  • Roasted rack of British lamb with braised neck tagine and Freekeh
  • Tiger prawn linguine with chilli, tomato, fennel and rocket
  • Cep and wild mushroom ragu, crispy pearl barley, yoghurt flat bread and gremolata
  • Main course salad of roasted guinea fowl with broccoli and cauliflower cous cous ,fig and pomegranate molasses

Desserts

• Rhubarb and ginger timbale
  • Choclate chilli fondant with chocolate sauce and pistachio and almond moisse ball
  • Vanilla bean Ice cream

Cheese Plate

• Gillot Camembert
  • Barbers Sweet Red Leicester
  • Stilton
  • Blackstone Vintage Cheddar
So I tried the lamb dish, no photo I'm afraid, but I liked it. It was a good portion with two large cutlets and a generous portion of the braised neck - too much for me. The freekeh, which is like a cross between giant cous cous and rice was tasty with lots of tomato and some veg and Moroccan/Middle East flavours. There was also a yoghurt/cream cheese element with it as well - hard to describe but it balanced the dish nicely. No surprises that the cutlets were cooked beyond pink, but they were still fairly tender. Overall a pleasant dish.

I had the sea trout mousse starter, it was very tasty but I feel like it should have been served with some sort of cracker or toast. I'd taken some of the soft ciabatta which didn't really go with it so be wise with your bread choice.

can't comment on the dessert as I had the cheese, which was very good.
orbitmic and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by cosmo74; Feb 4, 2019 at 9:22 am Reason: Adding to post
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:47 am

BA33 London to Kuala Lumpur 18:45 - First

See the menus below for the meals you'll be served on your flight.

Starters

Seared scallops, sweetcorn purée with smoked paprika and corn bread
Baked herb crusted Camembert, pear and onion chutney with chargrilled ciabatta
Curried parsnip soup with parsnip crisp
Fresh seasonal salad with a choice of Aged Balsamic vinaigrette dressing or Honey mustard dressing
Main

Cashew nut satay chicken with stir fried vegetables and steamed rice
Seared fillet of Herefordshire beef, salt beef croquette, Dauphinoise potato, cep aioli and caper beurre noisette
Roasted fillet of stone bass, crushed ratte potatoes, grilled fennel, samphire and chive butter sauce
Vegetable korma with jeera pilau, pakora and naan bread
Chicken Caesar, garlic croutons and free range egg, anchovy dressing
Desserts

Pistachio & Chocolate Cherry Cannelloni
Apple Tart Tatin
Vanilla bean ice cream
Cheese Plate

Kidderton Ash
Coastal Cheddar
Orsom Lester Vintage Red
Bleu D'Auvergne
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Nostalgia

While doing some decluttering came across a BA menu from BA032 in 1988 in Y

Supper

Prawns cooked in a light curry sauce and garnished with banana and peppers. Served with rice pilaf and fried aubergines
Breast of duckling cooked in sour plum sauce. Served with buttered broccoli, carrot batons and sweetcorn galette
A light sponge pancake with fresh fruit and cream

Refreshments

Savoury rissole with Cheddar cheese. Garnished with tomato, spicy pickle, a bridge roll and butter
Fruit and berry pie

Breakfast

Chilled fruit appetizer. Served with plain yoghurt
Poached egg set on a bed of leaf spinach and masked with a rich cheese sauce. Garnished with grilled tomato, mushrooms and grilled chicken medallion
A savoury pancake filled with scrambled egg. Garnished with grilled mushrooms, tomato and espagnole potatoes
Fresh roll and crescent roll served with butter and preserve

Looks better than our choice in F on our MIA flight in a couple of weeks!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:59 am

BA0005 to Tokyo Narita, 13:40 departure

Starters

• A selection of Japanese appetisers featuring: Prawn sushi, Ahi tuna Tataki, salmon sushi and Wakame seeweed
  • Baked herb crusted Camembert, pear and onion chutney with chargrilled ciabatta
  • Curried parsnip soup with parsnip crisp
  • or
  • Clear Japanese soup
  • Fresh seasonal salad with a choice of Aged Balsamic vinaigrette dressing or Honey mustard dressing

Main

• Seared fillet of Herefordshire beef, salt beef croquette, Dauphinoise potato, cep aioli and caper beurre noisette
  • Baked cod and lobster with saikyo miso
  • Slow braised lamb shank with creamed potatoes, roasted baby carrot, sautéed savoy cabbage
  • Vegetable korma with jeera pilau, pakora and naan bread
  • Chicken Caesar, garlic croutons and free range egg, anchovy dressing

Desserts

• Pistachio & Chocolate Cherry Cannelloni
  • Apple Tart Tatin
  • Vanilla bean ice cream

Cheese Plate

• Kidderton Ash
  • Coastal Cheddar
  • Orsom Lester Vintage Red
  • Bleu D'Auvergne
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:04 am

CW - 2 March BA269 London to Los Angeles 15:30

Starters

• Severn and Wye Scottish smoked salmon, Burford hen's egg and dill crème fraiche
  • English style mezze featuring: Kidderton Ash goat's cheese, lovage tabbouleh and pea hummus
  • Carrot and coriander soup with mascarpone
  • Fresh salad of lightly Zhug spiced peas and broad beans served with your choice of Damson Dressing or Creamy Ranch Dressing

Main

• Seared fillet of British beef, peppercorn sauce, boulangere potatoes and spring greens
  • Roasted fillet of stone bass with mustard herbed new potatoes and lemon beurre blanc
  • Vegetable balti with pilau rice, crispy paneer and naan bread

Dessert

• Chocolate and caramel layer cake
  • Malted chocolate blackcurrant slice
  • Warm apple pie with vanilla crème anglaise
  • Fresh seasonal fruit
  • Coastal Cheddar,West Country Brie,Shropshire blue served with walnuts, biscuits and Apricot chutney
Sadly, none of these mains sound all that good to me. My last BA fillet was shoe leather, so I won't be going for that. Fish likewise tends to be dry and overcooked. I guess it's balti for me, but I'd prefer it to have some chicken or lamb in it...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

BA27 London to Hong Kong 21:00

Starters

• Loch Fyne smoked salmon tartar with wasabi coleslaw
  • Sweet potato and coconut soup
  • Smoked red pepper chickpea salad with sun dried tomatoes and hummus crème fraiche

Main

• Chicken with ginger and spring onion, steamed pak choi, carrots and fragrant Jasmine rice
  • Braised Welsh lamb shank with roasted potatoes, leek sauce and minted peas
  • Goats cheese cappellacci with grilled Mediterranean vegetables and mushroom panna sauce

Dessert

• Key lime pie new style
  • Sticky toffee pudding
  • Northumberland Oak smoked cheese, Colston basset stilton and Somerset camembert served with Walnuts and peach apricot chutney

Has anyone had the lamb? Currently my choice.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Does anyone have the CW menu for LHR>Santiago in March? My MMB for this flight has been playing up for weeks!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by Schwann
[h3][/list]
Has anyone had the lamb? Currently my choice.
Yes! Highly recommended!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.