Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Gomac
In that case I think You First might have sent me last month's menu?
Or my MMB may be wrong!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stu1985
Or my MMB may be wrong!
Well it's definitely one of the two.... I would prefer the MMB menu though so fingers crossed
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I'm not going to pre-order I don't think. I wish I had confidence in them cooking the beef rare and then I would have that!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stu1985
I'm not going to pre-order I don't think. I wish I had confidence in them cooking the beef rare and then I would have that!
Me neither I'm going to see what I feel like once on board
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
BA177 LHR - JFK 12 April - F Menu

Starters

• Grilled king prawns with caramelized pineapple carpaccio and dressed with saffron crčme fraîche
• Warm plum tomato tarte tatin with sour cream and basil pesto
• Tom yam jung soup with shrimp, sautéed shiitake mushrooms and sliced spring onions
• Fresh seasonal salad with choice of Caesar dressing or lemon honey dressing

Main

• Seared duo of lamb with pomegranate jus, served with Moroccan couscous, buttered baby carrots and sautéed okra
• Pan fried Panko encrusted swordfish and Atlantic salmon, served with lobster and passion fruit bisque and creamy black risotto
• Corn fed chicken supreme infused with truffle, served with Mediterranean beluga lentils, vegetable involtini and rosemary jus
• Warm teriyaki glazed beef fillet with sushi and sesame rice, wakame salad, edamame beans and creamy ponzu wasabi dressing

Bistro Selection

• Ricotta ravioli with parmesan cream, sundried tomatoes and Kalamata olives garnished with fresh rocket
• Mini beef sliders with iceberg and fresh tomato served with traditional coleslaw

Desserts

• Nutmeg spiced blueberry custard on gingerbread biscuit
• Warm chocolate praline soufflé with chocolate nougat sauce and fresh pear
• Vanilla ice cream

Cheese Board

• Blue Murder
• Sharpham Brie
• Belton Farm Red Fox
Not much for the wife in the pre-selections as a veggie, all the more for me
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
How have people typically found the salad/cold main in CW? I've chosen the salmon salad for my LHR-JFK flight next week. (I was surprised to see that the salmon will be heated.)

Starters

Seared King prawns with fresh marinated avocado, grilled aubergine and chunky tomato salsa
Buffalo mozzarella with oven roasted tomatoes drizzled in basil pesto and finished with fresh rocket
Salad

Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette
Main

Slow braised Hertfordshire beef cheek with roasted British potatoes, buttered carrot, swede and broccoli served with a rosemary jus
Tandoori style chicken supreme with makhani sauce, lentil pilau and pistachio coriander cauliflower
Artisan garganelli pasta with roasted pumpkin caponata and crispy sage leaves
Crisp little gem lettuce with fillet of hot smoked salmon, golden croutons and creamy Caesar dressing
Desserts

Passion fruit and vanilla cheese cake with exotic fruit puree
Warm apricot and ginger sponge pudding drizzled in an apricot sauce
Red Tractor cheddar and Normandy Brie with pear and apple chutney
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
How have people typically found the salad/cold main in CW? I've chosen the salmon salad for my LHR-JFK flight next week. (I was surprised to see that the salmon will be heated.)

Starters

Seared King prawns with fresh marinated avocado, grilled aubergine and chunky tomato salsa
Buffalo mozzarella with oven roasted tomatoes drizzled in basil pesto and finished with fresh rocket
Salad

Fresh seasonal salad served with vinaigrette
Main

Slow braised Hertfordshire beef cheek with roasted British potatoes, buttered carrot, swede and broccoli served with a rosemary jus
Tandoori style chicken supreme with makhani sauce, lentil pilau and pistachio coriander cauliflower
Artisan garganelli pasta with roasted pumpkin caponata and crispy sage leaves
Crisp little gem lettuce with fillet of hot smoked salmon, golden croutons and creamy Caesar dressing
Desserts

Passion fruit and vanilla cheese cake with exotic fruit puree
Warm apricot and ginger sponge pudding drizzled in an apricot sauce
Red Tractor cheddar and Normandy Brie with pear and apple chutney
I don't think the salmon will be hot. It is hot smoked salmon, rather than hot, smoked salmon. It's the smoking process that's hot.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by HilFly
I don't think the salmon will be hot. It is hot smoked salmon, rather than hot, smoked salmon. It's the smoking process that's hot.
Ah, that makes sense! The other option I was thinking was that it was hot in the sense of spicy, but that didn't seem likely.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HilFly
You are correct. It regularly confuses people in my experience. The last CW main dish is generally a cold dish, which is effectively a souped up salad dish. It's probably helpful for those looking for a light, simple, low sauce/gravy or low calorie meal, but the wording often catches people out. Hot smoked salmon is a regular feature, there are few similar combinations (e.g. tandoori chicken, where the chicken is cold), but it's the bottom of the main meal courses.

The tandoori chicken dish on that menu will be hot, and would be my recommendation.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Sorry to but in...

But, in this case, the salmon IS hot, as in heated.

I served 9 of them last night and all plates came back empty. So, I can't have been that bad in the galley.

The salad is very fresh too, maybe because of the baby gem used instead of some of the other leaves they have been using of late.

Out of the two starter options, the Tom and Moz looks and appears to be nicer. The prawn starter, the prawns were all eaten, but the rest of the plate was 50/50.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
*deleted* My question is answered in the wikipost
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Sorry to but in...

But, in this case, the salmon IS hot, as in heated.

I served 9 of them last night and all plates came back empty. So, I can't have been that bad in the galley.

The salad is very fresh too, maybe because of the baby gem used instead of some of the other leaves they have been using of late.

Out of the two starter options, the Tom and Moz looks and appears to be nicer. The prawn starter, the prawns were all eaten, but the rest of the plate was 50/50.
Good to know! Thanks BBB (And CWS).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes this is confusing, hot smoked salmon can be served hot or cold, but as BBB says we are serving it hot.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
BA may of course be different, but generally "hot smoked salmon" means that the salmon will be cooked during the smoking process - so it will have the texture of cooked salmon but with a smoky taste. I would imagine that in this dish it would be served cold, but it can be warmed.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cosmo74
BA may of course be different, but generally "hot smoked salmon" means that the salmon will be cooked during the smoking process - so it will have the texture of cooked salmon but with a smoky taste. I would imagine that in this dish it would be served cold, but it can be warmed.
True but see above from two crew members who confirm the salmon is served hot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.