Old Nov 14, 15, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Old Aug 9, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I had the seared beef on LHR-SAN last month and it was extremely overcooked. As a native Nebraskan I was offended.
orbitmic and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I have pretty much stopped eating on BA flights even in F as the menus are boring IMO and the food is Tesco value quality.

Now tend to eat before the flight and maybe just some cheese on board - served freezing cold of course!
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy View Post
I have pretty much stopped eating on BA flights even in F as the menus are boring IMO and the food is Tesco value quality.
That's really not the way I feel. BA F and J meals are by no means the best in the world, but they have improved quite a bit since the respective CW and F catering upgrades (though sadly, hopes that CW meals would reach the level of the original LHR-JFK upgrades have been disappointed) and they are certainly decent IMHO.
Can I help you and Oaxaca like this.
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Well you are entitled to your opinion but life is too short to eat [email protected] food. I have done 10 F sectors so far this year and having seen the food served I wasnt missing anything.

QR in a few days to SIN Im sure will be much better than BA.
Old Aug 9, 19, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
That's really not the way I feel. BA F and J meals are by no means the best in the world, but they have improved quite a bit since the respective CW and F catering upgrades (though sadly, hopes that CW meals would reach the level of the original LHR-JFK upgrades have been disappointed) and they are certainly decent IMHO.
But they're all so DULL!

I won't regenerate the "Steak Debate", but generally they're all so uninteresting!
Old Aug 11, 19, 5:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold Elite
Next month to Austin in First, the same menu as San Diego.
Mrs B and I are not exactly excited by the menu finding it hard to decide. One good thing is the Shropshire Blue.
In-flight menu

BA191 London to Austin 12:00

See the menus below for the meals you'll be served on your flight.
Starters

• Duck and fig terrine, red onion marmalade, crumbled chestnut, sweet shallot pure
  • Wensleydale blue, pickled beetroot, caramelised macadamia's and apple sauce
  • Pan fried scallops, shellfish bisque, grilled fennel
  • Curried parsnip soup, vegetable pakora, tarragon yoghurt
  • Seasonal Salad served with Honey mustard dressing
Main

• Seared fillet of Hereford beef, peppercorn sauce, smoked salt beef croquette
  • Pan fried Atlantic halibut, buttered spinach and lemon beurre blanc
  • Roasted cornfed chicken, Winbirri bacchus white and thyme wine jus, Jerusalem artichoke pure
  • Black pepper and ricotta ravioli, cep velout, chargrilled baby leeks
Desserts

• Chocolate hazelnut slice and earl grey curd
  • Warm apricot sponge pudding
  • Vanilla bean Ice cream with caramel sauce and raspberries
Cheese Plate

• Cenarth Brie, Cave Aged Wookey Hole Cheddar, Tomme De Savoie, Shropshire blue served with Apricot, Pistachio and sunflower seeds, Bath Ovals & Charcoal Wafer

Last edited by BESTEDIFLYER; Aug 11, 19 at 5:45 pm Reason: Adding class of travel
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post

In-flight menu (First)

Main

• Stir fried Scottish beef fillet with sweet sour sauce, jasmine rice, mixed vegetables
  • Fillet of Halibut, roasted cucumber, girolles and salad cream
  • Baked goose liver and artichoke canneloni, black and white truffle sauces
  • Lebanese roasted cauliflower tomato jam and yoghurt Parsley oil
Got the same menu coming up on a flight to HKG on Wednesday.
Not very excited about the choices, to be honest.
Was thinking of the halibut but wondered if the cauliflower might have more spice / taste?
Any reviews by anyone whos had it?
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Main
  • Stir fried Scottish beef fillet with sweet sour sauce, jasmine rice, mixed vegetables
Originally Posted by Diver Boy View Post
Main
  • Fried loin of lamb with scallions and chilli, fried green beans and egg fried rice
  • Fillet of halibut, roasted cucumber, girolles & salad cream
  • Roasted breast of cornfed chicken, butternut squash puree, white wine and chicken jus
  • Summer vegetables and chick pea tagine, herb and apricot freekeh
Originally Posted by iamnibblypig View Post
Main
  • Seared fillet of aged Herefordshire beef, caf de paris butter, red wine jus
  • Fillet of halibut, roasted cucumber, girolles & salad cream
  • Roasted breast of cornfed chicken, butternut squash puree, white wine and chicken jus
  • Summer vegetables and chick pea tagine, herb and apricot freekeh

Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post

Main
  • Grilled Welsh lamb cutlets, potato gratin, rosemary jus
Has anyone tried this halibut dish? It’s on an upcoming flight, and while I would lean towards fish, I’m not a huge fan of cucumber or the uniquely British condiment that is salad cream, so wondering how significant they are in the dish. Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Aug 13, 19 at 11:12 pm
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I had it this month. One large wedge of cucumber that I was pleasantly surprised with. Grilled cucumber is an interesting variation that Im going to try preparing at home. Fish was a nice size portion, superbly cooked. Salad cream wasnt discernible.
Id definitely have the halibut and cucumber again.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Oaxaca View Post

Has anyone tried this halibut dish? Its on an upcoming flight, and while I would lean towards fish, Im not a huge fan of cucumber or the uniquely British condiment that is salad cream, so wondering how significant they are in the dish. Any feedback appreciated.
According to the dedicated thread, this is the Tom Kerridge dish. Have heard good and bad reviews on that thread.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Just looked at the Kerridge thread. No wonder I described the salad cream as not discernible in the halibut. It comes in a separate bowl and I didnt get the bowl of salad cream 😀
Oaxaca and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:47 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Donsyb View Post
According to the dedicated thread, this is the Tom Kerridge dish. Have heard good and bad reviews on that thread.
Thanks, had not followed that thread, very useful. I think I will give the Kerridge menu items a go, including the Halibut.

Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
Just looked at the Kerridge thread. No wonder I described the salad cream as not discernible in the halibut. It comes in a separate bowl and I didnt get the bowl of salad cream 😀
What is the unadvertised green topping on the fish? Looks like some sort of herb crust, but quite thick.

Interesting to watch the Youtube video with Mr K in that thread, and the two pics posted by users of the dish. Three fairly different presentations, will be interested to see how I get it.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
For anyone interested, I did all three CW Kerridge dishes yesterday:

- salmon and asparagus starter: not particularly interesting. Smoked salmon was good, cut a bit thick in the loin which is nice. Gribiche sauce was totally uninteresting however, Comes with 4 small asparagus spears.

- chicken was quite good though a bit dry. There was nothing risotto or risotto like about the pearl barley (but then, that's always the same with BA menus, they seem to have one monomaniac title creator who gets periodically over-excited about a term or other so that any random dish becomes a "risotto", a "mousseline" or a "cassoulet", none of which bearing any passing resemblance with risotto, mousseline, or cassoulet), but it was pleasant if fairly garlicky. Cooked raidsh a bit gimmicky but fine, green beans felt rather out of place.

- chocolate-amaretto tart. Nice dessert, fairly rich and fairly sweet. Not particularly subtle, and the chocolate lacks bitterness and intensity but a pleasant dessert nonetheless.
ENTP and Oaxaca like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:03 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
One large wedge of cucumber that I was pleasantly surprised with. Grilled cucumber is an interesting variation that Im going to try preparing at home.
I have hot cucumber quite a lot. Usually cut into batons and heated up in Ramen stock along with other bits to go with noodles. It's an alternative chopstickable green.
gcuk likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER View Post
Next month to Austin in First, the same menu as San Diego.
Mrs B and I are not exactly excited by the menu finding it hard to decide. One good thing is the Shropshire Blue.
In-flight menu

BA191 London to Austin 12:00

See the menus below for the meals you'll be served on your flight.
Starters

• Duck and fig terrine, red onion marmalade, crumbled chestnut, sweet shallot pure
  • Wensleydale blue, pickled beetroot, caramelised macadamia's and apple sauce
  • Pan fried scallops, shellfish bisque, grilled fennel
  • Curried parsnip soup, vegetable pakora, tarragon yoghurt
  • Seasonal Salad served with Honey mustard dressing
Main

• Seared fillet of Hereford beef, peppercorn sauce, smoked salt beef croquette
  • Pan fried Atlantic halibut, buttered spinach and lemon beurre blanc
  • Roasted cornfed chicken, Winbirri bacchus white and thyme wine jus, Jerusalem artichoke pure
  • Black pepper and ricotta ravioli, cep velout, chargrilled baby leeks
Desserts

• Chocolate hazelnut slice and earl grey curd
  • Warm apricot sponge pudding
  • Vanilla bean Ice cream with caramel sauce and raspberries
Cheese Plate

• Cenarth Brie, Cave Aged Wookey Hole Cheddar, Tomme De Savoie, Shropshire blue served with Apricot, Pistachio and sunflower seeds, Bath Ovals & Charcoal Wafer
Probably not a big surprise given the destination: my flight to SFO (Sept. 14) has the same menu.

Search this Thread