The main course pre-order choice thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 30, 19, 11:26 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: flyoff
Wiki Link
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 8, 19, 7:51 am

My flight to Chicago on 02/07/19 on the A380. Any recommendations? Is this the better catering company?

In-flight menu
BA297 London to Chicago 16:05

See the menus below for the meals you'll be served on your flight.
Starters
  • Smoked chicken and leek terrine, pickled summer vegetables, mustard mayonnaise
  • Croxton manor goat's curd, truffle honey marinated asparagus
  • Baked Scottish salmon, celeriac remoulade, apple purée
  • Spiced sweetcorn soup, sour cream, red chilli and coriander
  • Seasonal Salad served with your choice of Honey and Mustard dressing
Main
  • Seared fillet of aged Herefordshire beef, café de paris butter, red wine jus
  • Pan fried fillet of halibut, broccoli purée, brown shrimp butter
  • Roasted breast of cornfed chicken, morel cream, roasted garlic
  • Lemon and ricotta tortellini, artichoke veloute
Desserts
  • Pistachio & Chocolate Cherry Cannelloni
  • Apple Tart Tatin
  • Vanilla bean Ice cream with caramel sauce and raspberries
Cheese Plate
  • Kidderton Ash, Coastal Cheddar, Orsom Lester Vintage Red, Bleu D'Auvergne served with biscuits and apricot chutney
Old Jun 8, 19, 5:59 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
BA227 London to Atlanta / 2nd half of May 2019

In-flight menu

BA227 London to Atlanta 15:40

Starters

• Loch Fyne Kinglas salmon, granny Smith apple, fennel mayonnaise
  • Smoked ham hock terrine, piccalilli, capers, quail egg
  • British asparagus, poached Burford brown egg and truffle hollandaise
  • Pea and mint soup, broad bean and parsley croquette

Main

• Seared fillet of aged Herefordshire beef, smoked bone marrow butter, Bolney Lychgate jus, wild mushroom duxelle
  • Pan fried halibut, cauliflower Veloute, salsa Verde
  • Roasted cornfed chicken breast, peppercorn sauce, roast garlic and watercress
  • Pea tortelloni, leek cream, fresh garden peas

Desserts

• Rhubarb and ginger timbale
  • Chocolate chilli fondant with chocolate sauce and pistachio and almond moisse ball

Cheese Plate

• Gillot Camembert, Barbers Sweet Red Leicester, Stilton, Blackstone Vintage Cheddar served with Chive, wheat finger & Cranberry and Raisin
Old Jun 9, 19, 3:06 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga View Post
In-flight menu

BA227 London to Atlanta 15:40

Starters
  • Loch Fyne Kinglas salmon, granny Smith apple, fennel mayonnaise
  • Smoked ham hock terrine, piccalilli, capers, quail egg
  • British asparagus, poached Burford brown egg and truffle hollandaise
  • Pea and mint soup, broad bean and parsley croquette
Main
  • Seared fillet of aged Herefordshire beef, smoked bone marrow butter, Bolney Lychgate jus, wild mushroom duxelle
  • Pan fried halibut, cauliflower Veloute, salsa Verde
  • Roasted cornfed chicken breast, peppercorn sauce, roast garlic and watercress
  • Pea tortelloni, leek cream, fresh garden peas
Desserts
  • Rhubarb and ginger timbale
  • Chocolate chilli fondant with chocolate sauce and pistachio and almond moisse ball
Cheese Plate
  • Gillot Camembert, Barbers Sweet Red Leicester, Stilton, Blackstone Vintage Cheddar served with Chive, wheat finger & Cranberry and Raisin
This F menu was still going in June. Pics of a few of the dishes

Asparagus & poached egg with truffled Hollandaise

Seared fillet of beef with bone marrow butter etc

Selection of sides for main

Cheese plate - no cheddar

Chocolate chilli fondant

Main course from the 2nd meal : Thai prawn curry with edamame beans & jasmine rice - this was also a main course choice on the CW main menu for the same flight (portion size may have varied).

orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 9, 19, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by shnprst View Post

In-flight menu
BA297 London to Chicago 16:05
Main
Would anyone know if the brown shrimp butter is likely to be packaged separately from the halibut (i.e. could the crew easily prepare without)? Have noticed that most of the mains now seem to come with sauce on the side but not sure about this one. Would like to order on an upcoming flight but I don't eat shrimp.

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 19, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
How was the beef? This menu's on my upcoming F flight to Seattle and it's currently my pre-ordered option. It looks a little ... dark in the picture though, so I'm having second thoughts!
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by simonkenyon View Post
How was the beef? This menu's on my upcoming F flight to Seattle and it's currently my pre-ordered option. It looks a little ... dark in the picture though, so I'm having second thoughts!
Welcome to FT, simonkenyon, no doubt more official welcomes to come.

If you're asking me about the beef in the pic I posted, it was very good. The darkness on the outside isn't the issue, the steaks come onboard pre-seared and it's what happens next that makes the difference.

This time the enjoyment was a result of a successful effort to persuade the crew to cook it medium-rare using the Filthy Monkey method.

Steaks on a plane...

Several previous unsuccessful attempts have resulted in the traditional BA trademark Grey & Tough result, so it's a lottery until you talk to the crew. For this reason I no longer pre-order beef on BA, apart from slow-cooked dishes.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Jun 10, 19 at 8:26 am Reason: add welcome
Old Jun 16, 19, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Has anyone had recent experience of BA117 in Club or First? (0825 to JFK). I believe it is breakfast for main meal and just wondering what sort of options there are? (Still too far out to see in MMB)
Old Jun 16, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74 View Post
LGW to Barbados in F in June:

Starters

• Masala Baked Lobster with Celeriac Remoularde
  • Herb Crusted Aberdeen Angus Beef Carpaccio with a Roasted Garlic & Parsley Dressing
  • Baked Shropshire Blue & Spring Onion Souflee with Four Cheese Veloute & Roasted Herbed Walnuts
  • Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup with Croxton Manor Crème Fraiche & Pea Shoots
  • Selection of Fresh Seasonal Salad Leaves with the choice of Honey & Mustard or Spicy Lemon Dressings

Main

• Seared Heritage Black Fillet Steak with Braised Beef Ox Cheek, Port Wine Jus
  • Poached Lemon Sole Fillets filled with a Prawn, Chervil scented Mousse & Dill, Chervil Cucumber Veloute
  • Lemon & Pepper Roasted Suffolk Free Range Chicken with Prosciutto Quail Breast and Port Wine Pancetta Jus
  • Macaroni Cheese with Sauteed Pancetta & Herbed Crumb

Desserts

• Rhubarb & Ginger Timbale
  • Chocolate & Chilli Fondant
  • Vanilla Ice Cream Roche withSelection of Garnishes

Cheese Plate

• Selection of Quality Cheeses - Gillot Camembert, Barbers Sweet Tone Red, Stilton & Blackstone Vintage Cheddar

Sounds like a nice menu, although someone at BA needs to learn how to spell. I'm surprised there's no vegetarian main course option, not that i want one, but the pasta is usually veggie.
Just to give some feedback, i had the lobster to start, which was very tasty, although a small portion, followed by the chicken - it was cooked really well and the chicken was moist - the sauce was a bit salty but that was a minor negative. Dessert was the chilli chocolate fondant, which was delicious. I asked to have the cheese plate with afternoon tea so had this instead of the sandwiches and it was very good. I also had the scones and cakes - they were very stingy with the portion of clotted cream - barely enough for one half of the scone - i didn't really feel the need to eat the other half, so didn't ask for more but i assume they'd have had some if necessary, although this is BA... All of the food was beautifully presented and i felt the recent improvements have made a big difference.
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by airb330 View Post
London-Newark Late May 2019
World Traveler Plus

Starter
  • Caprese Salad
Main
  • Braised British beef with potato dauphinoise, broccoli and Chasseur sauce
  • Chettinad chicken with coriander rice and tadka dhal
  • Rigatoni pasta in a creamy garlic and herb sauce with leek , pumpkin and baby spinach
Dessert
  • Marbled chocolate cheesecake

Both going for the chicken.
Ive had the chettinad chicken 3 times and loved it every time.
Old Jun 16, 19, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
BA69 LHR-PHL end of June, FIRST:

Starters

• Smoked chicken and leek terrine, pickled summer vegetables, mustard mayonnaise
  • Croxton manor goat's curd, truffle honey marinated asparagus
  • Baked Scottish salmon, celeriac remoulade, apple purée
  • Spiced sweetcorn soup, sour cream, red chilli and coriander

Main

• Seared fillet of aged Herefordshire beef, café de paris butter, red wine jus
  • Roasted breast of cornfed chicken, morel cream, roasted garlic
  • Lemon and ricotta tortellini, artichoke veloute

Desserts

• Pistachio & Chocolate Cherry Cannelloni
  • Apple Tart Tatin

Cheese Plate

• Kidderton Ash, Coastal Cheddar, Orsom Lester Vintage Red, Bleu D'Auvergne served with biscuits and apricot chutney
Old Jun 22, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
First, LHR-BOS, July 20

BA213 London to Boston 11:15, July 20

Starters

Smoked chicken and leek terrine, pickled summer vegetables, mustard mayonnaise
Croxton manor goat's curd, truffle honey marinated asparagus
Baked Scottish salmon, celeriac remoulade, apple purée
Spiced sweetcorn soup, sour cream, red chilli and coriander
Seasonal Salad served with your choice of Honey and Mustard dressing

Main

Seared fillet of aged Herefordshire beef, café de paris butter, red wine jus
Pan fried fillet of halibut, broccoli purée, brown shrimp butter
Roasted breast of cornfed chicken, morel cream, roasted garlic
Lemon and ricotta tortellini, artichoke veloute

Desserts

Pistachio & Chocolate Cherry Cannelloni
Apple Tart Tatin
Vanilla bean Ice cream with caramel sauce and raspberries

Cheese Plate

Kidderton Ash, Coastal Cheddar, Orsom Lester Vintage Red, Bleu D'Auvergne served with biscuits and apricot chutney
Old Jun 22, 19, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
July CW, LHR-KUL

Starters:

Smoked garlic and herb chicken terrine with pickled vegetables, puffed kasha and golden raisin puree
Tomato and basil soup
Cobb salad served with balsamic and pesto dressing

Mains:

Fried loin of lamb with scallions and chilli, fried green beans and egg fried rice
North Atlantic sea trout, crushed new potatoes, soy glazed salsify and white wine beurre blanc
Paneer, sweet potato, cauliflower and chickpea korma with Jasmine rice

Desserts

Chocolate caramel layer cake
Warm apple pie with vanilla crème anglaise
Coastal cheddar, west country brie, Shropshire blue with walnuts, biscuit, and apricot chutney.

I'm a bit confused, by the choices above, should there not be another standard (non-soup non-salad) starter in CW?

For mains, hesitating between the seatrout (have already had variations of it and quite liked it) and the fried lamb loin which I have never tried before but sounds intriguing? Any advice or picture appreciated!
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
On late night departures there is only a choice of one cold starter or soup, all customers get a small salad with no choice of dressing.
The items that you get extra on day departures are another cold starter, a larger salad with a choice of two dressing plus two other desserts one being fresh fruit.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
On late night departures there is only a choice of one cold starter or soup, all customers get a small salad with no choice of dressing.
The items that you get extra on day departures are another cold starter, a larger salad with a choice of two dressing plus two other desserts one being fresh fruit.
Thanks! The KUL departure is 9pm though. Does that count as "late night" for the schedule? I knew we get reduced service on 11pm departures but I did not think it started so early!
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We find that customers don’t want a long drawn out service at that time of night but there is no reason why you couldn’t ask for the starter and soup plus all the desserts, if available after everyone has ordered their first choice we would be happy to serve you.

Search this Thread