Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
Letter template 1 (percysmith): Please explain "obvious pricing error" Post #258
Print Wikipost

Discussion about the ex-Germany fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the translation ^

It seems as though BA intends to carry the claimant in Y and not F which would be contrary to the court's decision. I wonder what sanctions the court could impose on BA for not following the court's decision even for that is intermediary? Interesting to see what will happen.

H
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:18 am

I'm still waiting for a full refund some 6 weeks later, up to now I'm only in receipt of the cash element of the refund, BA having decided to pocket the avios. I've chased Customer Services, even a letter to the legal department - all ignored so far. Deadline for a response from legal is tomorrow and then a MCOL will be winging it way to BA.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:48 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hoch
Thanks for the translation ^

It seems as though BA intends to carry the claimant in Y and not F which would be contrary to the court's decision. I wonder what sanctions the court could impose on BA for not following the court's decision even for that is intermediary? Interesting to see what will happen.

H
I would guess at that point BA will strictly only be liable for EC261 compensation - so even though the downgrade is from one end of the scale to the other, it's still only 75% of the fare. I imagine BA will consider having to chuck 500 quid at this to be something of a result ...

It's difficult to find a reason to argue against this as well - I'm pretty sure BA could come up with any number of perfectly valid reasons why this happened - full F cabin, faulty seat, even seat taken out of action due to it being unclean ...

Let's face it, their actions on this have generally been wholly dishonourable from the start - why shouldn't they continue along that path? In for a penny ...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
. . . . I can use a GUF and go from Oslo in F for £300 extra . . . .
Without wishing to reopen the debate, that snippet from your post does raise the question in my head - how 'obvious' was this manifest error fare and could some people, perhaps this person who is taking BA to court, have genuinely thought it was just a very good deal that is in a similar ball-park to a J fare and they have unfairly and illegally been denied to fly it having purchased it.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by hillwalker2004
I'm still waiting for a full refund some 6 weeks later, up to now I'm only in receipt of the cash element of the refund, BA having decided to pocket the avios. I've chased Customer Services, even a letter to the legal department - all ignored so far. Deadline for a response from legal is tomorrow and then a MCOL will be winging it way to BA.

Whenever I read of cases such as your own - i.e. a couldn't-care-less attitude towards correspondence & seemingly legitimate requests received by BA (or indeed any company) from a customer - it always paints a totally negative picture of the organisation concerned.

In one sense, it matters not who is right and who is wrong (re the Avios element) but it's the sheer absence of any response from BA that is so reprehensible.

I firmly believe that the speed with which an organisation (whether in the commercial or public sector) responds to correspondence is a clear indication of how efficiently it is run. There is simply no excuse for the experience recounted here by hillwalker2004 ; the fact that 'Customer Services' and even the legal department don't see fit to respond speaks to me of a deeper malaise within.

Shame on you BA.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Whenever I read of cases such as your own - i.e. a couldn't-care-less attitude towards correspondence & seemingly legitimate requests received by BA (or indeed any company) from a customer - it always paints a totally negative picture of the organisation concerned.

In one sense, it matters not who is right and who is wrong (re the Avios element) but it's the sheer absence of any response from BA that is so reprehensible.

I firmly believe that the speed with which an organisation (whether in the commercial or public sector) responds to correspondence is a clear indication of how efficiently it is run. There is simply no excuse for the experience recounted here by hillwalker2004 ; the fact that 'Customer Services' and even the legal department don't see fit to respond speaks to me of a deeper malaise within.

Shame on you BA.
Thanks Subject2load. The Money Claim is ready and waiting to fire. Will give it until tomorrow but doubt the avios are going to magically appear.

In an earlier post I did say that I have bought avios in the past so in my case the financial loss is clear.

Fully intend to post details of the claim, BAs response etc once the claim has gone through the legal process.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:29 am

Asked BA to reinstate my booking given their breach of contract.

Received this today. Time to escalate.

"Dear

Thank you for coming back to us about the cancellation of your booking. We appreciate that you remain unhappy with the responses we have sent to you.

I’ve taken another look at your complaint, and I am satisfied that we have addressed each of the points that you have raised. While I appreciate you remain unhappy with the outcome, I’m afraid there isn’t anything further that we’re able to add. This means that our position won’t change and we’re unable to respond any further on this particular issue. If you have any new or separate issues then we will of course be happy to assist you.

Once again, I wish to offer my sincere apologies for any disappointment caused to you as a result of the manifest error which occurred on this occasion, and assure you that British Airways are doing everything they can to ensure that this situation does not reoccur.

Best regards"
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Your options now are:

1. Move on
2. Take some legal action
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Provance
Asked BA to reinstate my booking given their breach of contract.

Received this today. Time to escalate.

"Dear

Thank you for coming back to us about the cancellation of your booking. We appreciate that you remain unhappy with the responses we have sent to you.

I’ve taken another look at your complaint, and I am satisfied that we have addressed each of the points that you have raised. While I appreciate you remain unhappy with the outcome, I’m afraid there isn’t anything further that we’re able to add. This means that our position won’t change and we’re unable to respond any further on this particular issue. If you have any new or separate issues then we will of course be happy to assist you.

Once again, I wish to offer my sincere apologies for any disappointment caused to you as a result of the manifest error which occurred on this occasion, and assure you that British Airways are doing everything they can to ensure that this situation does not reoccur.

Best regards"
BA have taken different action in the case of another customer. They re-instated the flights as economy.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by strichener
BA have taken different action in the case of another customer. They re-instated the flights as economy.
Not much of a favor since the original price is pretty much the same as a economy ticket now.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:23 pm

*Update*

I issued the Money Claim on Thursday, low and behold the avios have magically re-credited today.

13-Oct-15 13-Oct-15 Ex-Gratia - Re-deposit 0 2,414
13-Oct-15 13-Oct-15 Ex-Gratia - Re-deposit 0 12,586
Total of 15k avios between the two accounts in the household.

Claim was as follows:
15k points - £255 as per BA site (to recap I've purchased points in the recent past so was a fair valuation)
£5 or so for letters signed for.
£25 Money Claim fees
£27 or so for time.
So about £312 ish in total

In some ways its a case of too little too late as the claim is now for the money rather than the avios. However, i'm prepared to accept the reinstatement of the avios as long as i'm reimbursed in cash for the other costs. If BA think they can get away with reinstatement of the avios only and think its the end of the matter they can think again. In fairness they still have time to respond to the claim so will see how things progress.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hillwalker2004
*Update*
Thank you for this update, it will be interesting to see if they will contact you to settle the remaining cash components (and whether that's just £30 or £57).
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Can anyone help me with a booking they made on this alleged error to Australia which was ticketed on 001, rather than 125 stock; and which has been flown? I need an example to present before the County Court.

In essence, some people booked on AA.com, not BA.com. These tickets have not been cancelled. I have examples of people who have traveled to KUL. I need an example of someone who has flown ex Germany to Australia as this mirrors my booking. I do realise this, of and in itself, is not sufficient to prove it was not a manifest error. This would only be supplemental to my main argument.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I thought AA tickets got cancelled as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.