Discussion about the ex-Germany fares

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 26, 15, 12:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: percysmith
Wiki Link
Letter template 1 (percysmith): Please explain "obvious pricing error" Post #258
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 25, 15, 2:44 am

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer View Post
Think BA will be getting a lengthy e-mail with reference to future revenues lost from me as a result of this.
Well, let' see.

1. This has not made the press. The real world is not interested.

2. Most of those who booked accepted the risk and have moved on. You took a bet on an error fare. It did not pay off. Get over it.

3. Given most (but not all) bookers seem to have been mileage run geeks so I strongly doubt the collective CIV score of those who booked is, on average, that high. So really, not too much opportunity cost to revenue of lost.
Old Aug 25, 15, 2:45 am

Formal complaint made - no expectation of anything other than letting them know communication has been shambolic.
Old Aug 25, 15, 2:46 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by hillwalker2004 View Post
Dear Customer,

We are very sorry to advise that it has come to our attention that for a short period of time there was an obvious refund error for First class seats from Germany. As such, your recent refund was concluded on the basis of the invalid calculator we are using and we would therefore be grateful if you can return these monies as soon as possible. Please. Pretty please.

We don't underestimate the disappointment this will cause you and would like to offer our sincere apologies for this error. The correct calculator has now been bought from Argos and should you wish to rebook your journey, please go to ba.com or contact your local team at ba.com/contactus who would be happy to help you.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.

British Airways Customer Service
A calculator from Argos? The required capital expenditure was refused by the finance department, and as a result the job was given to a spare work experience student in the marketing department with a surplus-to-requirements set of blank Flounge menu cards and an BMI biro that was found at the back of the stationery cupboard.

Last edited by V10; Aug 25, 15 at 2:47 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 25, 15, 2:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by steve170461 View Post
No hint of a refund yet. £48 in FOREX charges to chase up. Letter ready to go to BA-it even has the word "Ryanairesqe" in it.
You won't need to chase up FX charges, indeed according to those whose refunds have been received they have actually received a higher amount back than they paid (because of a weakening in the Euro). Not sure what Ryanair has to do with this. This relates to a booking that was made using a mistake fare, accordingly these have been cancelled and monies refunded in the original booking currency - nothing Ryanairesque about that?
Old Aug 25, 15, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by hillwalker2004 View Post
Dear Customer,

We are very sorry to advise that it has come to our attention that for a short period of time there was an obvious refund error for First class seats from Germany. As such, your recent refund was concluded on the basis of the invalid calculator we are using and we would therefore be grateful if you can return these monies as soon as possible. Please. Pretty please.

We don't underestimate the disappointment this will cause you and would like to offer our sincere apologies for this error. The correct calculator has now been bought from Argos and should you wish to rebook your journey, please go to ba.com or contact your local team at ba.com/contactus who would be happy to help you.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.

British Airways Customer Service
How would they go about recovering the money if they did refund me too much? I still expect the refunded amount on my card to be processed correctly, and this just to be an e-mail issue.
Old Aug 25, 15, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
nothing Ryanairesque about that
It was referring to the tone of the email. Amazing how sarcasm can be lost on some.

As I said earlier why are we turning on each other? It is BA who screwed up ,end of. Now they do absolutely nothing to endear themselves to those who use them the most.

It is time to move on-but not on BA except when absolutely necessary.
Old Aug 25, 15, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Diamond; SPG/Marriott Gold; Carlson Gold; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MillionMileMarker View Post
Called Amex to block the payment as my statement day is today and I don't want to be out of pocket.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
Just to note that you won't be out of pocket so long as 1) you're not running a balance on the credit card and 2) the refund hits before the payment due date. It'll just look like you're making a payment early.
I don't believe that's right, and that disputing the charge with Amex is the correct thing to be doing when the statement will be generated before the refund.

Amex confirmed to me that if the charge is included in the statement and a refund subsequently comes through, their system will still expect me to pay the original statement amount in full by the due date. Should I be in credit as a result then I can request that be paid to my bank account. But what a faff, not to mention potential cashflow issues (in my case because I've now booked and paid for alternative flights), when disputing the transaction will avoid it.

I've no qualms disputing the charge, as they've taken money for goods/services they are not going to provide and they did so without informing me of the fact for several days. Indeed, I've only had the 'sorry' email and not yet the notification of refund (unless that's because their system knows it is being disputed, but do we really think they're that good?!).

Last edited by paulieuk; Aug 25, 15 at 3:12 am
Old Aug 25, 15, 2:56 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by DANNYB111 View Post
How would they go about recovering the money if they did refund me too much? I still expect the refunded amount on my card to be processed correctly, and this just to be an e-mail issue.
If they did overpay (and I'm not referring to an FX fluctuation but an actual overpayment) then you should return it (especially at the level you mention) or risk criminal prosecution.
Old Aug 25, 15, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
..... the word "Ryanairesqe" in it.
"Ryanairesqe" - won't they take this as a compliment?

I mean, low costs, low wages, massive profits.

I think you'll be telling them they're on the right track
Old Aug 25, 15, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
If they did overpay (and I'm not referring to an FX fluctuation but an actual overpayment) then you should return it (especially at the level you mention) or risk criminal prosecution.
The point of the question was to understand how the process works, not to ask what the moral position is.

I am not inclined to spend hours of my time liaising with AMEX and British Airways to return money that they have mistakenly given me after yet another mistake on their part.

If they will pick it up with AMEX and take it back automatically, that will make my life easier.
Old Aug 25, 15, 3:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
No hint of a refund yet. £48 in FOREX charges to chase up. Letter ready to go to BA-it even has the word "Ryanairesqe" in it.
That is a fairly terrible insult to Ryanair.
Old Aug 25, 15, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by paulieuk View Post
Amex confirmed to me that if the charge is included in the statement and a refund comes through, their system will still expect me to pay the full statement amount by the due date. Should I be in credit as a result then I can request that be paid to my bank account. But what a faff, not to mention potential cashflow issues (in my case because I've now booked and paid for alternative flights), when disputing the charge will avoid it. .
That doesn't tie in with my experiences (in a BA & AMEX situation I hasten to add). The only time it would be a pay out to your bank would be if the refund left you with a credit balance.
Old Aug 25, 15, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA, KL
It's bizarre that the refund emails are apparently forgetting about anything past the decimal point.

And it's also interesting to note that, in these emails, they include the "carrier imposed charge" (aka fuel surcharge) in the "Fare refund" amount.
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by DANNYB111 View Post
The point of the question was to understand how the process works, not to ask what the moral position is....
That certainly wasn't implied in your question. I took it as a serious question given your earlier post. I didn't reply on the moral issue, I replied on the legal issue.

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by paulieuk View Post
I don't believe that's right, and that disputing the charge with Amex is the correct thing to be doing when the statement will be generated before the refund.

Amex confirmed to me that if the charge is included in the statement and a refund subsequently comes through, their system will still expect me to pay the original statement amount in full by the due date. Should I be in credit as a result then I can request that be paid to my bank account. But what a faff, not to mention potential cashflow issues (in my case because I've now booked and paid for alternative flights), when disputing the transaction will avoid it.

I've no qualms disputing the charge, as they've taken money for goods/services they are not going to provide and they did so without informing me of the fact for several days. Indeed, I've only had the 'sorry' email and not yet the notification of refund (unless that's because their system knows it is being disputed, but do we really think they're that good?!).
You have been misinformed there. Amex can suspend the charge for a couple of weeks to wait for the refund.

Don't let them send anything to your bank. The last credit refund I had from them they sent to the wrong account and then lost - took four months to get sorted.

Search this Thread