Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Child still charged APD [?]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Child still charged APD [?]

If I believe what BA wrote here, they stopped collecting the APD for children tickets purchased after May 1st, 2015.

Yet I just bought two Avios+Money coach tickets ORY-LHR-YYC, one for an adult and the other for a 7-year old, and both cost the same. A UK APD (44,51€ flying west, and 31,91€ for the eastward journey) is collected for both pax.

Is this normal ? I called EC but the agent was clueless, except to say "if BA unduly collected a tax, it will be reimbursed to you after the flight".
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I presume you are stopping over in London each way? If you are just connecting at LHR and doing so within 24hrs on the same ticket you are not charged APD. I have just done a dummy quote for ORY-LHR-YYC in Y and no APD is charged.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:08 am

Just to add that of you were doing a stopover each way an adult would pay Ł71 (for LHR-YYC - Ł73 after 1 April 2016) and Ł13 (for LHR-ORY). Total would therefore be Ł84.

If I actually price up ORY-LHR-YYC with a stopover each way in London BA.com clearly shows an Air Passenger Duty of EUR 118.01 which is the Ł84 figure.

Where are you seeing €44.51 or €31.91 as these don't match any current APD rates.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Neither of those amount convert to the current APD rate of Ł71 for a Y ticket to destinations outwith of the EU (and Ł13 for intra EU)

And APD does not apply to flights into the UK only ex UK flights.

In tthe eh fare brreakdown what is the 2 letter code next to the amounts?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just done a dummy booking and the two amounts mentioned by the OP total up to the UK passenger service charge i.e. HAL fees.

This is NOT a tax but a fee and is payable by everyone.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Just done a dummy booking and the two amounts mentioned by the OP total up to the UK passenger service charge i.e. HAL fees.

This is NOT a tax but a fee and is payable by everyone.
Ah ha. Well spotted.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Still, it does not explain why the overall cost of the ticket is the same for the adult and the child. Here is the breakdown of the charges for the eastward journey (there is a similar breakdown for the westward route). This is a straight connection in LHR, not a stopover.

Last edited by albireo; Aug 24, 2015 at 9:33 am
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because the airport and government charges and fees apply per person whatever their age.

e.g. Before APD was eliminated for children flying in Economy the rate was the same as for an adult (just as it is for a child flying in WT+.CW or F)

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Aug 24, 2015 at 9:44 am
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by albireo
Still, it does not explain why the overall cost of the ticket is the same for the adult and the child. Here is the breakdown of the charges for the eastward journey (there is a similar breakdown for the westward route). This is a straight connection in LHR, not a stopover.
There is no APD charged on your itinerary since you are not stopping over in the UK. As I already noted, if you are just connecting at LHR and doing so within 24hrs on the same ticket you are not charged APD

As there is no APD charged on your itinerary why should the adult and child price be different?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:03 am

Interesting that the breakdown includes 'surcharge de carburante'.

My French is a little rusty but doesn't that translate as 'fuel surcharge'? Didn't BA stop calling it that (in English) in favour of 'carrier imposed charge' ages ago?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside

My French is a little rusty but doesn't that translate as 'fuel surcharge'? Didn't BA stop calling it that (in English) in favour of 'carrier imposed charge' ages ago?
It says "fuel surchage" in the breakdown on the UK-English version.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:28 am

Oh, shows how observant I am

Strange when they've changed the language elsewhere (e.g. on eticket receipts)
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by windowontheAside

That does indeed translate into fuel surcharge.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
There is no APD charged on your itinerary since you are not stopping over in the UK. As I already noted, if you are just connecting at LHR and doing so within 24hrs on the same ticket you are not charged APD

As there is no APD charged on your itinerary why should the adult and child price be different?
OK, so my ignorance then. I did not realize that APD was applicable to departing / arriving pax only, not to transiting pax.

So, what is the English translation / acronym for "Frais de service passager" ?

And on a more general note, I am really upset that BA is not able / willing to provide a non-ambiguous breakdown of charges and taxes in the fare section of the e-ticket.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Passenger Service Charge

please see post #5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.