Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA promotes new e-visa access to India for UK, Irish and many other citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This has popped up today on BA.com

It's for 2 single entry visits a year, each with 30 days on them, so currently quite restricted, but I anticipate relaxations will occur down the line.
Sorry to be a bit thick, but I didn't understand what was meant by '2 single entry visits per year'. I wanted to travel through India on the way to Sri Lanka and then back out through India, possibly staying for a short time, but this visa would not work. Likewise, a transit visa has a max 15 days which wouldn't work, but I don't want to pay Ł160 for multiple entry visa for six months as I would have to pay this for two people as the cost is higher. Wanted to travel through India as cheaper and have never been there before.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jose2000
Sorry to be a bit thick, but I didn't understand what was meant by '2 single entry visits per year'. I wanted to travel through India on the way to Sri Lanka and then back out through India, possibly staying for a short time, but this visa would not work. Likewise, a transit visa has a max 15 days which wouldn't work, but I don't want to pay Ł160 for multiple entry visa for six months as I would have to pay this for two people as the cost is higher. Wanted to travel through India as cheaper and have never been there before.
Without going through all the details, I think you are looking at making two separate e-visa applications for both arrival dates into India. This would only be a problem if you had plans to make another visit to India later that calendar year. If on either leg you are able to use the Transit without Visa (e.g. you are going via BLR, MAA, DEL, and potentially BOM directly the same day) then that solves the problem.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,

The arrival process in DEL with an evisa was horrible. Dreadfully slow with fingerprint machines that barely work. One lady was in tears from the frustration of waiting. I can't recommend it if you can avoid it.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Arrived in Mumbai a few weeks ago and was through in under 5 mins while the queue next door was quite long.

It was getting on the plane in the first place where we had problems. We had gone from Berlin to Abu Dhabi and then on to Mumbai. I managed to get air Berlin to check my luggage all the way through even though on different tickets and the next flight being on jet airways,the check in lady had never seen an evisa before but after a phone all was fine she even checked us in and printed boarding pass for the jet flight.
The problem started at the gate in Abu Dhabi,agent did her stuff handed me back my passport and I was walking out the door to the bus when she calls me back saying hang on what about a visa. So I hand her all the papers the Indian visa site tell you to print out, she calls a superviser and we stand there disagreeing for what seemed like ages as she telling me I don't have a valid visa and I can't travel,at this point we are holding up boarding so get taken to one side.After showing her more emails to prove that I do she gave in and let us go but she told us when we got to Mumbai don't go to immergration as you will be held up for a long while as you don't have the correct paperwork go to the transfer desk and ask them to print your emails off.

Whilst on the plane I had time to think and came to the descion that I had what the visa site told you to print and would chance our luck,thank goodness I did as all I did at Mumbai was hand in my passport and that was it.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Just saw this thread. Great news. I wanted to travel to India but the visa process put me off before.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
The arrival process in DEL with an evisa was horrible. Dreadfully slow with fingerprint machines that barely work. One lady was in tears from the frustration of waiting. I can't recommend it if you can avoid it.
Doesn't sound great. I'm in Delhi on Thursday with three kids and e visas. I hope it is a better experience than yours otherwise it's going to be a bit stressful!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: BA SILVER!! (After 7 years of trying...)
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Ha, sounds like BOM. I hope they can get this sorted ASAP.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I would always recommend that any person (or their spouse) who has at least 1 of their 4 grandparents originating from India to apply for "Overseas Citizen of India" status. A one off fee of around Ł190 and voila, you get a lifetime visa for India with minimum restrictions.......think of it as the Indian version of the Right of Abode.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by d3vski
I would always recommend that any person (or their spouse) who has at least 1 of their 4 grandparents originating from India to apply for "Overseas Citizen of India" status. A one off fee of around Ł190 and voila, you get a lifetime visa for India with minimum restrictions.......think of it as the Indian version of the Right of Abode.
I've applied for that and it's been sent back twice, for different reasons. One was that I didn't enclose my parents marriage certificate (didn't say I had to) and then again because the birth certificate I sent for my father wasn't acceptable and I was told to apply for a replacement (in India). Why they didn't tell me that during the first submission I don't know, as I sent exactly the same documents the second time (plus the marriage certificate they asked for) only for another document they had seen the first time to then be an issue.

Gave up in the end and want for e-visa. Hoping it's quick so I can make the most of my reservation at the Four Seasons, I'm only in BOM for 24 hours before moving on domestically.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
I've applied for that and it's been sent back twice, for different reasons. One was that I didn't enclose my parents marriage certificate (didn't say I had to) and then again because the birth certificate I sent for my father wasn't acceptable and I was told to apply for a replacement (in India). Why they didn't tell me that during the first submission I don't know, as I sent exactly the same documents the second time (plus the marriage certificate they asked for) only for another document they had seen the first time to then be an issue.

Gave up in the end and want for e-visa. Hoping it's quick so I can make the most of my reservation at the Four Seasons, I'm only in BOM for 24 hours before moving on domestically.
It is a bit of a pain (I had to make 3 trips to the Indian HC to get mine sorted) but once you got your documents, it should be smooth sailing. The key is to establish your link to the Indian person and have all non-English documents notarised into English.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Don't know if others have had this problem, but both times I've tried to pay for my eVisa at a weekend, it doesn't go through. When I pay during the week, though, it's all fine. I'm guessing that something is switched off at the Indian government end at the weekends...
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by d3vski
For my wife, she has to
(a) wait until we are married 2 years; and
(b) have me convert my PIO [Person of Indian Origin, no longer issued] to an OCI [Overseas Citizen of India]

Both of these are a faff ... so an eVisa it is.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Gin and Tonic Please
Don't know if others have had this problem, but both times I've tried to pay for my eVisa at a weekend, it doesn't go through. When I pay during the week, though, it's all fine. I'm guessing that something is switched off at the Indian government end at the weekends...
I'm trying to pay for our visas, for an upcoming wedding. We have tried to pay on 3 occasions, from different browsers, and with different cards, but not able to do so as it says 'cannot connect to server' have e-mailed them, and they advise to just keep trying, but if after 5 goes it doesn't work will have to resubmit. Very helpful

Not sure what to do next?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by amit1978
I'm trying to pay for our visas, for an upcoming wedding. We have tried to pay on 3 occasions, from different browsers, and with different cards, but not able to do so as it says 'cannot connect to server' have e-mailed them, and they advise to just keep trying, but if after 5 goes it doesn't work will have to resubmit. Very helpful

Not sure what to do next?
I didn't have it that bad, but I did have to try several times to pay, and it didn't like credit cards so I made the transaction with a debit card in the end - successfully.

Originally Posted by jose2000
I won't link to the story, but I spoke with the India Ministry of Tourism's Secretary this week, and the scheme is being expanded to allow for visas to be applied for 60 days in advance (instead of 30) and also allowing for multiple entries, so you could, for instance, do just what you suggest here - enter India, leave and visit Sri Lanka, and then come back through India.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Can someone please explain/clarify the immigration arrival procedure at Mumbai for UK Nationals with the new(ish) tourist evisa. An earlier post spoke about a room devoted to the evisa before the traditional immigration desks. Thx in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.