The GF order menu may soon be gone forever

Old Aug 18, 15, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

The GF order menu may soon be gone forever

There is a rumour among the staff that soon enough the "a la carte" menu will be gone. For those visiting in the past few weeks it feels like that anyway as no menus are to be found. A woman I've known for a while said she has been told to state its because there's food on the buffet and/or they are in the printers.

Hmm.

I find the GF menu is so ghastly now it wouldn't be much of a loss but its a pity indeed. The food on there is a shadow of its former self, particularly desserts which are just ice cream. The whole thing just feels so costed.

AA on the other hand have upped their game considerably. At T3 Flagship last week I enjoyed a freshly pan-fried (CCR regulars look away) salmon salad followed by apple & strawberry crumble with homemade custard from the a la carte menu. The buffet was much "fresher" with smoked salmon, small salads, cakes, homemade mousse's, doorstep sandwiches and focaccia with parma ham.

I wish more of my regular flights were T3.
Old Aug 18, 15, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
While I can't comment on the GF menu, I can on the AA food (at the LAX T4 Flagship lounge) as I was there last week and had an opportunity to try out AA's new food offerings which are being introduced as part of their lounge refurbishment program.

On the one hand, there was a wider selection and so you had chicken, salmon, couscous, ratatouille, potatoes and rice (and a couple of other dishes that I fail to remember) plus various dressings / sauces. The food was tasty - lots of flavour - but portions seemed small and despite being literally brought in from the kitchen and unwrapped there and then everything was lukewarm.

One thing that has been "enhanced" by AA is the biscuits and cheese. It is good to see that there is now butter for your bread roll but the cheese has been reduced to deli-sliced cheddar, and the biscuits enhanced away altogether. The fruit salad was very nice, however!

I gave some constructive feedback to the chef and it will be taken on board. I am not entirely sure what was wrong with the previous evening meal choices mind you, as I used to really enjoy a bit of dinner in the lounge at LAX before flying back to LAS. I think it just goes to demonstrate that BA doesn't have the monopoly on enhancements
Old Aug 18, 15, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Geordie405 I was in LAX T4 Flagship recently (post changes) and that was out was some dried up chicken and cheese toasts. Truly awful. My friend had an omelette in JFK Flagship and there was a hair cooked through it. Disgusting. "My mama is gonna go crazy when she sees this" the lounge hostess said.

T3 Flagship was very different indeed with LHR home to the CCR and BA considered to be more premium than AA.
Old Aug 18, 15, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
There is a rumour among the staff that soon enough the "a la carte" menu will be gone. For those visiting in the past few weeks it feels like that anyway as no menus are to be found. A woman I've known for a while said she has been told to state its because there's food on the buffet and/or they are in the printers.

Hmm.

I find the GF menu is so ghastly now it wouldn't be much of a loss but its a pity indeed. The food on there is a shadow of its former self, particularly desserts which are just ice cream. The whole thing just feels so costed.

AA on the other hand have upped their game considerably. At T3 Flagship last week I enjoyed a freshly pan-fried (CCR regulars look away) salmon salad followed by apple & strawberry crumble with homemade custard from the a la carte menu. The buffet was much "fresher" with smoked salmon, small salads, cakes, homemade mousse's, doorstep sandwiches and focaccia with parma ham.

I wish more of my regular flights were T3.
If this the case, it folds in with the recent move away from dedicated Flounges at outstations. Seems like a devaluation of classic Gold is underway.

If they go down this road, they should consider improving benefits for GGL....perhaps extending CCR and outstation Concorde privileges if traveling on a J ticket. I don't say this out of self interest. I lost my CCR card this year, but will have it back in November. If they devalue Gold, though, they need to do something for GGL.
Old Aug 18, 15, 6:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Geordie405 I was in LAX T4 Flagship recently (post changes) and that was out was some dried up chicken and cheese toasts. Truly awful. My friend had an omelette in JFK Flagship and there was a hair cooked through it. Disgusting. "My mama is gonna go crazy when she sees this" the lounge hostess said.

T3 Flagship was very different indeed with LHR home to the CCR and BA considered to be more premium than AA.
There was a hair in my tiny milk jug on a F cabin A380 flight LAX-LHR last week!
Old Aug 18, 15, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Disappointing news if true.

The menu is essential the GF at T3 as the food is very limited during the day at the times I usually visit.
Old Aug 19, 15, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Now that you say it, the menus have become as rare as hen's teeth. I've not seen them for at least the last month.
Old Aug 19, 15, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There are loads of the GF menus in the podiums with the server screens on top. Just ask.
Old Aug 19, 15, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA

small salads, cakes, homemade mousse's, doorstep sandwiches and focaccia with parma ham.
Mousse's what; or why does mousse get an apostrophe when no other food item does?
Old Aug 19, 15, 12:59 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I have never used the a la carte, the buffet always works for me, i wouldn't miss it and would rather all effort went to the buffet. It keeps people moving as well to free up space. I never feel like the staff are there to take a food order for some strange reason so i don't ask (the surliness probably, i wouldnt eat in a restaurant with staff that can't smile!). Weird when you think about it, but true.
Old Aug 19, 15, 1:10 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, Fairmont Premier
Was in there last week and had no problem ordering a la carte both at breakfast and dinner, albeit that I didn't actually have a menu in my hand. What you are saying hugolover sounds more like a staff member being given excuses for the lack of hard copy menus and not being told that they are about to remove them altogether, is there something more you can share?
Old Aug 19, 15, 1:11 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BA4EVER View Post
If this the case, it folds in with the recent move away from dedicated Flounges at outstations. Seems like a devaluation of classic Gold is underway.

If they go down this road, they should consider improving benefits for GGL....perhaps extending CCR and outstation Concorde privileges if traveling on a J ticket. I don't say this out of self interest. I lost my CCR card this year, but will have it back in November. If they devalue Gold, though, they need to do something for GGL.
Not sure BA are thinking they need to do something for any group at present - they are making money, loads are high and the accountants see no need to do more than the minimum for customer retention. BA aren't alone in this - pretty much every airline and FFP seems to be busy enhancing at present. It may take another global economic dip and subsequent reduction in premium travel before we see any airline doing more for pax.
Old Aug 19, 15, 1:35 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Does anyone have a copy of the T3 Flagship Menu then? I've got quite a few T3 flights coming up!
Old Aug 19, 15, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'd take any such rumour with a pinch of salt, although if it proves true, I would consider that it would be quite a disaster. Generally dislike buffet food and GF is no exception. I agree that the a la carte as become really poor but still better than nothing.
Old Aug 19, 15, 2:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Well, I find the GF food has been quietly enhanced again anyway. There was a slight improvement after all the fuss we made previously, but it has gone downhill again in my opinion.

Has anyone noticed that they've even shrunk the size of the saussages as well as lowering the quality? The decline continues.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: