Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
At LHR yesterday on short haul they announced and commenced general boarding whilst there were at least 20 passengers in the Fast Track line.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:34 am

BRU today - they announced pre-boards, CE and Gold together, then silver about 5 minutes after, followed by Ruby about 2 minutes after that.

I was part of the pre-boards with my small ones - but it didn't look like it was enforced.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
CE/Gold were called first. However, enforcement still seems to be poor. Anyone coming up to the desk was allowed to go through regardless of whether they were entitled to do so under the new priority system or not.

In addition I witnessed some ridiculous size of cabin baggage at T5, although not on my flight.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Aug 21, 2015 at 11:55 am
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Today on LHR-AMS flight, boarding was called CE, Gold, Silver etc, no change. Saw people boarding with enormous bags. Two guys in row 1 next to me had at least 3(!) large bags, absolutely ridiculous! Captain anounced at some point that boarding was going too slow...wonder why....?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
On the 1316 from LHR-ABZ last night, boarding was called by status group(BizUK/Gold, then Silvers, then Bronze etc) Seemed to be well observed, saw a few silvers in first batch but they may have been on Biz UK tickets. Yellow tags being handed out at top of jetbridge (gate 9 on this occasion), no checking of size limits though, but very noticeable no one had more that 2 items as far as I saw.
I notice there is now a smaller red cage in the size checker in the check area so you can confirm your bag size.
Overall an improvement
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:23 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Upupintheair
Today on LHR-AMS flight, boarding was called CE, Gold, Silver etc, no change. Saw people boarding with enormous bags. Two guys in row 1 next to me had at least 3(!) large bags, absolutely ridiculous! Captain anounced at some point that boarding was going too slow...wonder why....?
If they're in row 1 there must be a reasonable chance they're golds, and should either know better or simply think abiding by cabin bag limits are beneath them.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The new procedure was not followed at JFK last night. They announced pre-boards, those needing assistance and First, Club World, Gold, Silver, Bronze and oneworld equivalents to board all at the same time.
There's never any consistency at JFK - sometimes they leave Bronzes out of priority boarding altogether, and when I last flew over, albeit just before the new procedures, they did exactly what you described PLUS "premium economy"
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:03 pm

Pages and pages re "who boards first"? What is everyone's problem, FGS??

For me, an on-time departure with cabin-baggage rules enforced is more important.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
three days in and what has been said here and on the other thread relating to this Is------INCONSISTENT

new systems like this when introduced can only work if they are applied in a consistent manner at all locations no exceptions no excuses
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Mightymouse
Pages and pages re "who boards first"? What is everyone's problem, FGS??

For me, an on-time departure with cabin-baggage rules enforced is more important.
This is a topic about new procedures introduced to speed up boarding and avoid having a crowd blocking the boarding area.

It appears that the new procedure is not bring effectively followed.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Aug 21, 2015 at 3:26 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, BA Gold
As basically everyone (aside from the IB flights) in T5 is travelling with BA, then surely BA should get some of the 'roaming' staff to pick out the people around the terminal with excessive baggage and check their bags in at the CS desk.

I type this as I'm watching a woman walking down T5 concourse with a roll aboard, a backpack, and THREE very large Fortnum and Mason duty free bags. She can barely carry it all, but I bet it all gets in the cabin...

As for the trials I'm generally board 'at my own leisure' so haven't witnessed anything yet.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by V10
If they're in row 1 there must be a reasonable chance they're golds, and should either know better or simply think abiding by cabin bag limits are beneath them.
Do not think they were golds.....off on a stag weekend 😳
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:28 pm

They were enforcing priority boarding today at LHR-LBA. Did priority by status- saw a couple then told they couldnt use the priority as not gold/silver etc

Then boarded by row. That was being enforced and they were stopping them all if not in the rows called. That meant the queue to board was full of those being made to wait and passengers had to thread past them in the corral.

Only 2nd bags were being tagged and the plane wasn't full so there wasn't an issue with hand luggage fitting in.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Why not just do zoned boarding like AC where your zone is already on your boarding pass? Seems to work quite well. On BA Zone 1 would start boarding after the first 100 or so passengers who require assistance or extra time to board.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:39 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Sitting in the lounge at YYZ listening to the boarding announcements for the delayed earlier flight. They called pre-boarding, and then everyone else. Possible that once people got down there, the gate attendants were boarding according to the new procedure, but I doubt it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.