Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by bjorns
Boarding the BA780 yesterday, the new Priority Boarding signs where in place and they boarded as per the new rules, which are:

CE first, then Gold/emerald, then Silver/Saphire and finally Bronze/Ruby.

Bording was a bliss, In that I didn't have a hord of economy PAX ahead of me.

bjorns
Same today on BA780, boarding strictly controlled. Seemed to work out fine but I boarded last of the pack since I wanted to maximise my time outside the aircraft before seating in 2F

On a 767 in CE it really doesn't matter, plenty of overhead storage ^
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
I experienced this properly the other day out of DUB - first time I'd seen it happen properly as GLA doesn't seem to do this, and LCY is special.

It seemed pretty poor if I'm honest, not BA's fault as such but they could've enforced it a little better. There were hoardes of non/lower status pax around the desk as it was delayed so it was nigh on impossible to get there - I was sitting down at the gate and stood up as they called gold, but by the time I got to the desk they were on bronze already, so it somewhat defeats the point when they don't leave long between calls.

It does get a bit messy I think with all the various groups. They group CE and Gold pax currently, but I think it would make more sense to group Silvers and Bronzes together too - that way they'd have fewer boarding calls to make and then hopefully more time for each group to board.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
As shown in IAH, the best way to manage this a person standing at the end of the barriers "warning off people"
IAH called
First,
Gold and club
Silver
Bronze and back rows of WT
all went very well, due to staff fending off chancers at the barrier enterances

Just did LHR-KUL
First, Gold and club. OK
Silver, A fair amount of people getting up to hover,
Bronze, Free for all......

Not very well managed
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
Originally Posted by hcuk94
I experienced this properly the other day out of DUB - first time I'd seen it happen properly as GLA doesn't seem to do this, and LCY is special.

It seemed pretty poor if I'm honest, not BA's fault as such but they could've enforced it a little better. There were hoardes of non/lower status pax around the desk as it was delayed so it was nigh on impossible to get there - I was sitting down at the gate and stood up as they called gold, but by the time I got to the desk they were on bronze already, so it somewhat defeats the point when they don't leave long between calls.

It does get a bit messy I think with all the various groups. They group CE and Gold pax currently, but I think it would make more sense to group Silvers and Bronzes together too - that way they'd have fewer boarding calls to make and then hopefully more time for each group to board.
Chaos at gate 209 in DUB on Monday 1300 departure to LHR. Crowds around the gate, where the priority sign and tensa barriers had not been put into position. Slow boarding of lots of families with children (it is half term in places). When CE and Gold card holders were called to board the gate area was a scrum and the priority process was not enforced, nor was the carry-on bag rule monitored. When eventually seated in 1C, I heard the CSD complaining to the Turnround Manager about the poor boarding process and the excessive number of carry-on bags being brought onto the aircraft. Fortunately it was not a full flight. The 300 gates at DUB seem to be better managed because of the physical layout of the space.

Last edited by martyndavid; Oct 14, 2015 at 2:18 am
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
The new boarding process and the new baggage rules are rubbish. BA needs extra staff to enforce the boarding rules and extra staff for the tagging and policing of the hand baggage. This costs a lot of money and it does not bring any improvement whatsoever. It might be time to have a look at how AA is doing it.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:13 am

There's a complete lack of consistency in it, even at LHR.

I've heard about 4 versions of the announcement and it's generally not followed up with announcements for Silver / Bronze
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
See above

Last edited by martyndavid; Oct 14, 2015 at 2:18 am Reason: Duplicate post
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by vibguy
It might be time to have a look at how AA is doing it.
I'm not usually one to applaud their unique ways, but on my recent AA legs I noticed Americans seem a lot less obsessed with being on the plane first than we do in the UK. There were a few people standing at the desk but it was mostly to ask questions or volunteer checking bags. Most of the passengers seemed to be patiently sitting down in the gate seating area until they were called. Meanwhile in the UK I'm used to everyone swarming around the gate, desperate to get on first.

Originally Posted by martyndavid
Chaos at gate 209 in DUB on Monday 1300 departure to LHR. Crowds around the gate, where the priority sign and tensa barriers had not been put into position. Slow boarding of lots of families with children (it is half term in places). When CE and Gold card holders were called to board the gate area was a scrum and the priority process was not enforced, nor was the carry-on bag rule monitored. When eventually seated in 1C, I heard the CSD complaining to the Turnround Manager about the poor boarding process and the excessive number of carry-on bags being brought onto the aircraft. Fortunately it was not a full flight. The 300 gates at DUB seem to be better managed because of the physical layout of the space.
This is what I noticed in Dublin - particularly the lack of any kind of temsa barriers just lead to people congregating all around the desk, and it was impossible to barge through when they called golds.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by vibguy
The new boarding process and the new baggage rules are rubbish. BA needs extra staff to enforce the boarding rules and extra staff for the tagging and policing of the hand baggage. This costs a lot of money and it does not bring any improvement whatsoever. It might be time to have a look at how AA is doing it.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the new boarding process (the baggage rules don't really change much that I can see). Agree that enforcement is key, but why would it take extra staff? Other airlines enforce effectively with no more staff than BA.

Originally Posted by hcuk94
I'm not usually one to applaud their unique ways, but on my recent AA legs I noticed Americans seem a lot less obsessed with being on the plane first than we do in the UK. There were a few people standing at the desk but it was mostly to ask questions or volunteer checking bags. Most of the passengers seemed to be patiently sitting down in the gate seating area until they were called. Meanwhile in the UK I'm used to everyone swarming around the gate, desperate to get on first.
Again, consistent enforcement (IMO). AA and LCCs generally enforce properly, so the chancers have learned it won't work. It wouldn't happen overnight with BA, but I can't see why a period of consistent enforcement would not have the same effect. The LCCs don't have as many DYKWIAs to contend with, but AA does and they manage, as you note. Even they will learn when they are sent back a few times with tail between legs. There is still a lot of inconsistency between LHR and outstations, and maybe even at LHR they could improve the gate layout to make things simpler.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

On my way to HEL today.

They just called all card holders and club at once. *shrugs*

Why bother? Be consistent whatever the bloody process is.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, VS - Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Bonvoy Gold
Bit of a left field call here but do you think they could look at the number of status card holders on the flight and decide which call they'll make. I don't think it's right to do it that way but wondered if they've been changing the calls when they see a low GC or SC holder count for the flight so just fold it all together.

I'm speculating though, mainly due to not knowing if they have that info at the gate.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bradders81
Bit of a left field call here but do you think they could look at the number of status card holders on the flight and decide which call they'll make. I don't think it's right to do it that way but wondered if they've been changing the calls when they see a low GC or SC holder count for the flight so just fold it all together.

I'm speculating though, mainly due to not knowing if they have that info at the gate.
This was my impression too, not least when I've seen the same gate agent do it the new way on one flight and then the old way on another flight 2 days later. The second flight had only a few cardholders on it.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This was my impression too, not least when I've seen the same gate agent do it the new way on one flight and then the old way on another flight 2 days later. The second flight had only a few cardholders on it.
The problem with this is exactly what everyone else has highlighted - it results in confusion.

You expect calls to occur in one way and you anticipate. It results in the clustering around fast track we get now.

If they don't rigorously enforce the new boarding process - you'll get the same clustering as no one will know what will happen until it does.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by bradders81

I suspect you may be right. Don't think the 1130 rotation to HEL is particularly status-heavy.

Still, it's a bit confusing all round. Didn't really matter as I was in 28A with an entire row to myself. (You're all so obsessed with sitting at the front of ET!)
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:12 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Frustrating experience at arn tonight. They called ce and gold to board. As I'm silver in et I stood aside. It became increasingly clear that they weren't going to make another call when pretty much the entire plane had boarded. Annoying because I was trying not to be part of the problem by pushing ahead during the first priority passengers and then ended up boarding practically last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.