Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

They tried to offload me... A Gold in J 'Domestic'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They tried to offload me... A Gold in J 'Domestic'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
personally I have found lounge staff to be quite knowledgeable about BAEC and if in doubt they have found out answers rather quickly when need be
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
It doesn't seem like they actually threatened to offload you from the flight at any point... they offered to reroute you. You said no. So they didn't.

Staff on the ground sometimes know little about BAEC rules etc etc which is ridiculous - I agree. But if anything they were trying to help you in this case....

The question you asked them ("why was a Gold member on a CE/J fare being asked to be offloaded?") was really the wrong question. The question should have been "why was a Gold member on a CE/J fare being offered a more direct route instead of the itinerary he booked?".... and suddenly the situation doesn't seem so outrageous (and is more representative of what it seems really happened given your description).
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
In all seriousness, you are assigning far too much blame to the lounge angels.

They had an overbooked flight. They tried to find a solution and say you were a potential pax to be given the chance of a direct flight, which they offered to you, to help them solve their problem.

Yes, they were misadvised about the BAEC conditions, but they at no point tried to offload you. To them, they were probably thinking they were helping you out because of the shorter journey time. The overbooked flight gave them the opportunity to give this direct flight to you.

You refused their offer and they kept you onboard.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by orbitmic
+1. I think nonstop flight is much better than connecting, and available nonstop routing the likely source of the offer (although status could have given you priority if there were several passengers flying the same as frankly it was a nice offer).

I also agree with Prospero the TP answer was simply lack of knowledge. Do remember that BAEC and BA are two different things. Most BA people have no clue about BAEC and if you ask them a question that relates to it, you may often get answers that are simply wrong. If you had accepted the offer, you would have been able to claim the Avios and TPs for the original routing whilst enjoying a couple more hours in Amsterdam, a hot meal and a less tiring trip! I would have said yes in a heartbeat...
You're kidding me! They offer a hot meal in Business on KL between GLA and AMS? I grant, I had a hot meal recently on AMS-MAD, but that is a much longer route. I thought it was a sandwich service in C on UK routes.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:00 pm

TBH I find the thread title a bit sensational.

From what you say they did not try to offload you, then simply offered you a direct flight probably thinking they were doing you a favour avoiding the transit at Heathrow. I very much doubt that it would have resulted in an involuntary offload.

As has been pointed out elsewhere you would have got the TPs (Ok not ideal that you were misinformed) and probably arrived earlier at destination.

It's not the end of the world.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA0197
In all seriousness, you are assigning far too much blame to the lounge angels.

They had an overbooked flight. They tried to find a solution and say you were a potential pax to be given the chance of a direct flight, which they offered to you, to help them solve their problem.

Yes, they were misadvised about the BAEC conditions, but they at no point tried to offload you. To them, they were probably thinking they were helping you out because of the shorter journey time. The overbooked flight gave them the opportunity to give this direct flight to you.

You refused their offer and they kept you onboard.
To add to this, some other poor soul may have ended up been offloaded from their flight and possibly may not have been able to be offered an alternative direct flight.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Concerto
You're kidding me! They offer a hot meal in Business on KL between GLA and AMS? I grant, I had a hot meal recently on AMS-MAD, but that is a much longer route. I thought it was a sandwich service in C on UK routes.
Sorry you're correct - hot meals start at 120 minutes and GLA-AMS is only 95 minutes so it would have been a cold meal.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Under the BAEC terms and conditions, rxfleming would have been eligible to receive the original routing credit TPs and avios as it was BA that was rerouting him. The lounge attendant probably didn't know this. From the terms and conditions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...onnection.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ost-miles.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-airline.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-question.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...iming-tps.html
I wouldn't describe the OP's potential situation as an *involuntary* rerouting.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
They asked if you wanted to switch. You declined.

From what you say they didn't start shaking their heads, looking at you with daggers drawn, tut-tutted you or muttered at how awful you were for refusing.

Many people would have appreciated the offer to change flights even if they had declined.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Under the BAEC terms and conditions, rxfleming would have been eligible to receive the original routing credit TPs and avios as it was BA that was rerouting him.

No, it would count as a voluntary re-routing.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I was offered a voluntary re-route from MAN to FRA. The MAN flight was heavily oversold and I was chosen because of my status (the Angels at MAN know me and thought I'd appreciate a short-cut). I gladly accepted.

I was credited with the appropriate TPs and Avios, no questions asked
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I was offered a voluntary re-route from MAN to FRA. The MAN flight was heavily oversold and I was chosen because of my status (the Angels at MAN know me and thought I'd appreciate a short-cut). I gladly accepted.

I was credited with the appropriate TPs and Avios, no questions asked
You avoided LHR and the CCR! Think of the LPGS you missed there!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by PETER01
You avoided LHR and the CCR! Think of the LPGS you missed there!
Ha ha ha, this was an early morning flight so would have been a 'dry' lounge visit! Win, win for me on that journey
Old Aug 16, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
They asked if you wanted to switch. You declined.

From what you say they didn't start shaking their heads, looking at you with daggers drawn, tut-tutted you or muttered at how awful you were for refusing.

Many people would have appreciated the offer to change flights even if they had declined.
Agree. I'm not sure there's a story here at all. I think as the alternative, ie a direct flight, was more attractive, the ground agents rather sensibly offered it to status passengers who might appreciate it.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think it would be a mistake to assume that lounge staff know much about BAEC rules as, outside LHR and LGW, they are probably not employed by BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.