Avios never deducted from account

Old Aug 11, 15, 8:28 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist

Hi all. Booked a WT+ flight in 2014, upgraded from WT+ to CW with Avios in November 2014, and flew July 2015. To the best of my knowledge the Avios required for the upgrade was never deducted from my account. What's the best way to check whether or not something was processed incorrectly? I worry about saving up for a new redemption and having the Avios deducted retroactively when I don't expect it to happen; I'd rather just settle my bill appropriately now if you will.
Old Aug 11, 15, 8:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

I suggest you contact the Executive Club and ask them to confirm the position for you. That's the best way to know for sure. Are you sure you really want to ask the question?
Old Aug 11, 15, 9:20 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Honestly - I would not ask the question.

It isn't unheard of that BA forgets to deduct avios and chances are that is what happened.
Old Aug 11, 15, 9:23 pm

I have also had the experience that upgrade avios were never deducted from my account. Also, I had a 2-4-1 redemption where the avios were never deducted, the 2-4-1 voucher was never cancelled (I used it again for a subsequent trip), and I and my companion were even awarded more avios and some tier points for the trip. All is good. Don't ask, don't tell.

I only confess this because several years have now passed......
Old Aug 11, 15, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd just treat it like a check that didn't clear my banking account and mentally deduct that amount from calculations. It's like the old Monopoly game card "Bank error in your favor!"

Old Aug 12, 15, 12:02 am

Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire
I recently had this happen. I had to cancel an avios ticket for a us airways ticket. It turned out they never deducted the avios it was ticketed for 9 months and the agent said had I flown this sector it would have been a freebie

Too bad it was not an F RTW trip 😂😂😂
Old Aug 12, 15, 12:29 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Oh the quandary!
Old Aug 12, 15, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
The best advice about this sort of error is not to say anything - and that includes posting it on this forum!
Old Aug 12, 15, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
I worry about saving up for a new redemption and having the Avios deducted retroactively when I don't expect it to happen; I'd rather just settle my bill appropriately now if you will.
A practical approach would be to notionally reduce your balance by the number of avios involved. If all goes well, the notion eventually becomes a bonus - if not, you're not going to be disappointed

If you really do want to settle your bill, then don't shilly-shally: call BAEC .
Old Aug 12, 15, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Hi all. Booked a WT+ flight in 2014, upgraded from WT+ to CW with Avios in November 2014, and flew July 2015. To the best of my knowledge the Avios required for the upgrade was never deducted from my account. What's the best way to check whether or not something was processed incorrectly?
Why don't you look at your online statement?

You say you upgraded in November 2014. You can check all your transactions from November 2014 onwards.
Old Aug 12, 15, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Quite possibly it's an error that won't be corrected. However, it's impossible to know for certain at what point you're in the clear. I have had Avios deducted from my account up to 7 months after making the booking.

In previous discussions of this topic analogies have been drawn with banking errors. It has been pointed out that keeping money to which you know you are not entitled without trying to return it constitutes an act of theft. Of course, this was followed by discussion of the status of Avios (they have no monetary value / they are a form of currency, etc. etc.). To my mind these are moot arguments, interesting for bar room lawyers but not relevant to your situation. BA are not daft enough to sanction you if they have made an accounting slip. In your situation I would take no action but would not try to use the windfall Avios for a year or so.
Old Aug 12, 15, 10:03 pm

happened to me too last year, also an upgrade, on Qantas, using avios.
Old Aug 12, 15, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Oh the quandary!
My approach when this kind of thing occurs is to think about all the occasions on which I have had to spend more time that I have to spare to chase, harrass and even threaten the airline when they have made an error in their favour (which by far numerically outweigh the opposite experiences).

In doing so, I feel perfectly at ease in just leaving things be.
Old Aug 13, 15, 1:06 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Has anyone ever had Avios deducted after the flights was flown? Either before or after the return leg?
Old Aug 13, 15, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Judy795 View Post
happened to me too last year, also an upgrade, on Qantas, using avios.
I never knew you ever could upgrade on Qantas using Avios.