Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Mini TR to Malta

Booked a last minute 6 day break to Malta departing tomorrow
BA2644 16:10 LGW - 20:15 MLA
returning BA2645 12:40 MLA - 15:00 LGW
CE both ways

Having just made gold again, thought it would kick the new tier point year off to a flying start - and be a nice break of course!

We're staying at the Hotel Juliani - a small hotel in St Julians. It sounds like its going to be pretty busy in Malta, so thought a boutique hotel might be a way to avoid the early morning sun lounger wars!

I have never been to Malta and know little about it, so would welcome any advise about places to see/avoid and nice restaurants. Also, advice about the beaches. I was thinking about a trip to blue lagoon, but I imagine it will be heaving.

Will check back tomorrow when I start the trip report
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Malta is fantastic - enjoy.

Out of interest, in what booking classes are your flights?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by ENTP
Malta is fantastic - enjoy.

Out of interest, in what booking classes are your flights?
OP says CE, better for the TP
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flyingturkey
OP says CE, better for the TP
Booking class could mean fare bucket - ie C / J / R / I etc. MLA has good discounted avail.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
There are some fabulous neolithic remains to see if that is your thing
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Yes both legs club Europe, outbound I, return J. Used some avoid to knock £200 off the total. Not most profitable use of avios probably, but made the holiday justifiable and meant keeping full tier points
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
We always stay at Palace hotel in Silema. We found a great little place in Silema..just along from St Juliens called Fresco's..its good. Also in Silema..Exiles restaurant and beach club. Amazing views and good menu. Good deserts too. Mint is owned by a kiwi fella..hes in Silema too. Its a cool little deli..good coffee and cake. Good breakfast and lunch spot. Need any more advice pm me...we're out there 2/3 times a yr..enjoy.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Cazziebee
Booked a last minute 6 day break to Malta departing tomorrow
BA2644 16:10 LGW - 20:15 MLA
returning BA2645 12:40 MLA - 15:00 LGW
CE both ways

I have never been to Malta and know little about it, so would welcome any advise about places to see/avoid and nice restaurants. Also, advice about the beaches. I was thinking about a trip to blue lagoon, but I imagine it will be heaving.
Oh, excellent decision.

Have a quick read of my TR >>> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...r-lgw-mla.html

Do try to visit M'dina. I can't advise on the St Julians area - never stayed around there.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, excellent decision.

Have a quick read of my TR >>> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...r-lgw-mla.html

Do try to visit M'dina. I can't advise on the St Julians area - never stayed around there.
Oh, and my one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ope-malta.html

I'd definitely recommend a trip to the Blue Lagoon......once you see the pics you might agree!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hi, stu1985 ... MLA TR Wars break out again!!

In fairness, yours is more relevant to Cazziebee
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cazziebee
Yes both legs club Europe, outbound I, return J. Used some avoid to knock £200 off the total. Not most profitable use of avios probably, but made the holiday justifiable and meant keeping full tier points
Interesting to find I class availability at such short notice - it is generally pretty sparse! Luckily on this route R only seems to be £50 more.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:42 am
Original Poster

thanks for all the advice, I'll have a read of the trip reports. Has anyone been on the game of thrones tour?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
M;dina a must, as are Ħaġar Qim Temples, fabulous setting on the cliff tops, and Malta's bus system must be the bargain of the century (even though fares have recently increased). Fishing boats and restaurants of Marsaxlokk. I found most of these places uncrowded even in July.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Beautiful Country, spent time there doing a College placement, do consider doing the Ferry between Valletta and Sliema!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
There are several excellent restaurants in St. Julians. Zeri, near the marina a short wlk from the Hilton, is an excellent fish restaurant. Tucked away in the back streets is Assaggi also highly recommended. Reservations advised for both.

Malta is a great place for a short break. It has a fascinating history. Make sure you visit the Cathedral in Valletta. Buses are easy and are a good way to see the island.

The only (smallish) problem on my last flight back in CE was was that the first three rows of OH bins were full of blankets, pillows and crew bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.