Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: Connecting to a flight that isn't connected

Old Aug 11, 15, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold

I'm flying back from a holiday (Marseille), landing into Heathrow T3 at 17:40.
I'm then going on to Glasgow for work, on a seperate booking as it's work - this is from T5.
I'm currently booked on the 20:45 LHR-GLA - ticket isn't flexible, and bear in mind these are two seperate bookings.

Would appreciate some advice on the following:
  • If I were to make good time and be able to get the 18:55 instead of the 20:45 - would it be possible to change on to this? It's a non flex ticket so I expect charges, but is this something they could do at T5 once I've cleared security?
  • If my MRS-LHR flight were to be delayed, would BA be able to move me to the later flight as a 'connection' or would this also be chargeable?
  • When I land into T3 - do I go to Arrivals or Flight Connections? Is it possible to transfer from T3 to T5 without repeating security etc?
  • Is it possible to check my bag through to Glasgow from Marseille - thus not needing to pick it up and check it back in at Heathrow?

I should also mention that the MRS-LHR leg is booked with BA and is Club Europe. The LHR-GLA leg is booked with a travel agent and is Domestic Economy. The flights in question are next week so there's some time to think.

Would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by hcuk94; Aug 11, 15 at 6:54 am
Old Aug 11, 15, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
HBO or not? It makes a significant difference to the answers.
Old Aug 11, 15, 6:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hcuk94 View Post
[*]If I were to make good time and be able to get the 18:55 instead of the 20:45 - would it be possible to change on to this? It's a non flex ticket so I expect charges, but is this something they could do at T5 once I've cleared security?
It is just about possible to make the earlier GLA flight if already checked-in on a separate booking, particularly if you arrive a few minutes early, but by the time you get to T5 the deadline for re-ticketing will have long passed so you won't be able to rebook on to the earlier service very easily, unless there are delays in the system somewhere. All separate bookings have greater or lesser degrees of risk. Using a travel agency booking doesn't make it easier. For a true connection on one booking, you need 90 minutes between flights, which the earlier service does not give.

[*]If my MRS-LHR flight were to be delayed, would BA be able to move me to the later flight as a 'connection' or would this also be chargeable?
Technically chargeable, and probably so unless the cause of the misconnect was massively BA's fault. You can buy through tickets, which is why they exist, so I would not expect too much mercy. You're looking at €100 or 60 typically.

[*]When I land into T3 - do I go to Arrivals or Flight Connections? Is it possible to transfer from T3 to T5 without repeating security etc?
Not possible to avoid security or the UK Border, it's faster airside via Flight Connections.

[*]Is it possible to check my bag through to Glasgow from Marseille - thus not needing to pick it up and check it back in at Heathrow?
Yes, that's possible for the later flight, but not the earlier flight. You need 90 minutes connection time for checked bags in this situation.

Also consider EDI services - I think there is one in the middle.
Old Aug 11, 15, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLHD View Post
HBO or not? It makes a significant difference to the answers.
Nope - non-flex economy with luggage for LHR-GLA.

Ta
Old Aug 11, 15, 6:59 am

Someone else beat me to it

Deleted
Old Aug 11, 15, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Not possible to avoid security or the UK Border, it's faster airside via Flight Connections.

Yes, that's possible for the later flight, but not the earlier flight. You need 90 minutes connection time for checked bags in this situation.
Thanks CWS - so when I arrive at T3 do I follow signs for flight connections? And is transport to T5 then different to the usual HEX/Tube offering landside?
For the bag - how would I go about checking it through? Do I just ask when checking it in at Marseille for them to send it onto the 20:45 to GLA?

Thanks again
Old Aug 11, 15, 7:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Doesn't OW protect across separate tickets ?
Old Aug 11, 15, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by pewpew View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Doesn't OW protect across separate tickets ?
No (but if one wants to reopen that extremely lengthy and repetitive debate, please let's do it in the existing threads rather than restarting a new one! )
Old Aug 11, 15, 7:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks CWS - so when I arrive at T3 do I follow signs for flight connections? And is transport to T5 then different to the usual HEX/Tube offering landside?
For the bag - how would I go about checking it through? Do I just ask when checking it in at Marseille for them to send it onto the 20:45 to GLA?

Thanks again
Yes, follow the purple signed to Flight Connections T3 down to a small bus station by the T3 apron. A dedicated bus service then takes you on quite a long hike around the airport, including a 1 km tunnel. Takes about 12 minutes, service frequency every 6 minutes. Then you go up to Flight Connections UK and Ireland T5 to pass the UK Border there, and up to the usual security scan in North. It's well signposted so I can give more detailed instructions but it basically boils down to "follow the purple signs to Flight Connections then Flight Connections T5". If you know T5 well then you can exit the UK Border in T5 and re-enter via South, but I'd not recommend it if you are a novice.

Just present your GLA boarding pass at MRS and ask for it to be checked through to GLA. That will do the necessary.
Old Aug 11, 15, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes, follow the purple signed to Flight Connections T3 down to a small bus station by the T3 apron. A dedicated bus service then takes you on quite a long hike around the airport, including a 1 km tunnel. Takes about 12 minutes, service frequency every 6 minutes. Then you go up to Flight Connections UK and Ireland T5 to pass the UK Border there, and up to the usual security scan in North. It's well signposted so I can give more detailed instructions but it basically boils down to "follow the purple signs to Flight Connections then Flight Connections T5". If you know T5 well then you can exit the UK Border in T5 and re-enter via South, but I'd not recommend it if you are a novice.

Just present your GLA boarding pass at MRS and ask for it to be checked through to GLA. That will do the necessary.
Makes sense. A fountain of knowledge as always; thanks CWS. ^
Old Aug 11, 15, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
  • If my MRS-LHR flight were to be delayed, would BA be able to move me to the later flight as a 'connection' or would this also be chargeable?
Technically (as corporate-wage-slave says), you have no right to be reaccommodated, as you have simply missed your LHR-GLA flight; that journey starts at LHR and it makes no difference why you were late for it.

However, if it were to happen, then explaining the situation at Flight Connections may produce a result that you will be happy with - so amongst other things, keep your MRS-LHR boarding pass handy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: