Search

BA flights to KEF - Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club, Miles & More, Flying Club

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has already been posted but a search couldn't find one that didn't date back to 2004!

Have just booked a trip up to KEF on the new(ish) BA service next year. Does anyone know which, if any, lounge that CE/EC passengers/members will be able to use? From memory there is only the FI lounge but can't find any information on the BA site...

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:59 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Likely the Saga lounge. Does anything show in MMB under the lounge section?

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-2015-a.html

Also for BA specific questions, you should post in the BAEC section. There is a lot of useful information in the stickies: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tive-club-446/
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:32 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, astock1987.

As your query pertains to BA flights/lounge access, we'll move this over to the BA Executive Club forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk astock1987, and welcome to the BA board, it's great to see you here, welcome on board and please continue to pay a part in this valuable resource.

nux is more than right in one sense, as far as I can tell it can only be the Saga lounge since that is all that is there. Also because BA's flights must use the non Schengen gates, which are right a the end of quite a long corridor - KEF is a single spine-like airport. There is a Saga lounge right by passports at the turn in to that area, which would be conveniently placed. And a very nicely designed lounge it is too.

However! BA have managed to acquire a really awful track record of not arranging lounge access to new locations, very few new shorthauls have them in place at the kick off, and even now Kraków is loungeless, unlike say Air Berlin. Now Air Berlin have flown to KEF for many years, and they are much better than BA at sorting this out, but they are loungeless in

So my suspicion is no lounge in Keflavík for the time being.

It's actually quite an interesting airport to hang about, all very Nordic with poetry snatches lining the walls. If you are there for more than a few hours you can go to Blue Lagoon quite easily, there are regular coach services from the airport and back.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold

BA previously used the saga lounge when they flew from KEF
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So my suspicion is no lounge in Keflavík for the time being.
I suspect this is the most likely outcome, and not just the start but the whole season.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Exec Club, Miles & More, Flying Club
Originally Posted by JY1024
Welcome to FlyerTalk, astock1987.

As your query pertains to BA flights/lounge access, we'll move this over to the BA Executive Club forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

Sorry JY1024 - will bear that in mind. Thank you!

and Thank you to everyone for your advice. Very disapointing that it is even an option for BA not to provide a lounge to new destinations. The only thread of comfort is that they used to use the Saga Lounge. They should charge less for the flight if they aren't going to offer pre-flight refreshments - it isn't exactly a short flight in that new low-legroom config they have on their SH/MH aircraft!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:35 am

Good evening from snowy Iceland!

After a lovely few days on a new year's reward flight saver break in Reykjavik, we're heading back to London, as Monday and the office beckon like a jail cell on wheels.

Any news on whether there is a lounge for BA punters at Keflavik at all please? A couple of cheeky freebie beers would cushion the blow of our imminent return to the ratrace, otherwise I'll have to take out a second mortgage to buy a round in one of the airport bars.

Takk!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is no lounge access for BA, and I can't see how there could be for the time being. There's only one lounge in Keflavík airport, probably the nicest in the Nordics but it belongs to Icelandair, and they are competitors to BA as well as members of a rival alliance (Star Alliance). Air Berlin - which is much sharper than BA at fixing lounges where it can - has been operating to KEF for years and haven't succeeded in getting an arrangement there. No Priority Pass option either.

The bars in the airport aren't cheap, but not as bad as the other Nordic airports. You don't need to arrive too soon, one hour is fine.

Ţakka ţér fyrir.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:19 am

Thanks. Ah well, better rinse the exec lounge bar at The Hilton one last time tonight then.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
but it belongs to Icelandair, and they are competitors to BA as well as members of a rival alliance (Star Alliance).
They might operate out of LHR T2, but have I missed something?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
They might operate out of LHR T2, but have I missed something?
My apologies! Icelandair have a close relationship with Lufthansa (and the lounge in question is open to me as a Lufty frequent flyer, hence my error) but they aren't actually Star Alliance.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
...but it belongs to Icelandair, and they are competitors to BA as well as members of a rival alliance (Star Alliance).
Competitors of KEF-LON, yes. But FI is definitely not a Star Alliance member.

Originally Posted by Pat Mustard
Thanks. Ah well, better rinse the exec lounge bar at The Hilton one last time tonight then.
The Nordica lounge is definitely your best bet, although lately they haven't been putting out the booze until the evening.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Hiya, am travelling to KEF this weekend in search of frostbite. Have the lounge policies changed at all? I don't see anything on the BA or Saga site.

I have priority pass/amex platinum as well; will these get me into anything? I did a search but couldn't see anything obvious. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:50 am

No, I'm afraid there is no lounge provision given your circumstances.

Assuming you have your boarding pass and particularly if HBO I wouldn't arrive too early at the airport, it's not a cheap place for snacks or drinks, BA's BOB looks a veritable bargain in comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.