Wiki Posts
Search

Tier collection dates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Tier collection dates

I just realized I made a small mistake relating to the dates of my tier point collection: the BA website says the "Tier Point collection year ends" on december 8th, while I booked a flight that should give me some tier points that I intended for renewal on the... 7th! I overlooked the fact that the first membership year had almost an extra month...
I guess there's nothing in particular I can do to solve this, but i'd be interested to know if anyone had luck (or lack of it) with a similar situation... As it's only a few days apart, maybe it could be possible to negociate something with BA? (even if I know this is rather unlikely...)

Also, a final question just to be certain: I suppose that when BA displays december 8th as the end of the collection year, that date is included (i.e if I fly on the 8th, the tier points would could towards the "old" year) ?

Thank you !
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Your membership year doesn't start until you have had your first flight so if you register say in July but don't have your first flight until say 12 October your anniversary date is then set at the 8th of the next month - so it would be 8 November in this example. Therefore your first year can seem longer.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:48 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Any flight departing on your year end date will count towards your current membership year. So a flight departing 11:59PM on the 8th will count to your current year.

A flight departing from 12:01AM on the 9th would count to your next membership year.

BA can provide a two week membership year extension, but will not forward date TP's to count in the next membership year even if they are the day before.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Your TP collection year end date is clearly shown in your BAEC account.

BA won't credit TPs earned in your old year to your new year.

Don't even bother asking.

But yes any TPs earned on the 8th December will be included in the old year.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Thanks all for your answers It seems, as I was expecting, that i'm out of luck
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:40 pm

Question

Originally Posted by nux
Any flight departing on your year end date will count towards your current membership year. So a flight departing 11:59PM on the 8th will count to your current year.

A flight departing from 12:01AM on the 9th would count to your next membership year.

BA can provide a two week membership year extension, but will not forward date TP's to count in the next membership year even if they are the day before.
nux, a friend of mine is just 20 points short of hitting Gold, current membership year ends 8 August. He is due to fly CW US- Europe the following week. Should he just give Exec Club a call to request the extension?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by delseyd
nux, a friend of mine is just 20 points short of hitting Gold, current membership year ends 8 August. He is due to fly CW US- Europe the following week. Should he just give Exec Club a call to request the extension?
Yes, even though the first call won't accomplish much. BAEC will just tell him to call back when he has completed the flights during the two week extension. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24739944-post5.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...over-date.html
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Yes, even though the first call won't accomplish much. BAEC will just tell him to call back when he has completed the flights during the two week extension. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24739944-post5.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...over-date.html
Thank you jerry^
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BA won't credit TPs earned in your old year to your new year.
Don't even bother asking.
Really? I was under the impression that there was a 2 week grace period that would be looked at on a case by case basis.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
There is a grace period to allow people to retain or earn status when they've just missed out - not to give them a head start on the next year.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:55 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by DrGee
Really? I was under the impression that there was a 2 week grace period that would be looked at on a case by case basis.
Yes but it only works one way. You can get a 2 week extension of your old membership year but can't have flights flown in the last 2 weeks of your old year to count in your new membership year.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by nux
Yes but it only works one way. You can get a 2 week extension of your old membership year but can't have flights flown in the last 2 weeks of your old year to count in your new membership year.
I obviously misunderstood the point being made in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ship-year.html where point 3) mentions this. I suppose it is pretty ambiguous though.

Looks like I'll soon be earning 90 TPs before losing them a day or 2 later. Oh well. A lesson learned.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Tier collection dates

Also bear in mind that flights taken at very end of membership year may well post initially as new year transactions, after BA have run the routine to clear down the old year TPs.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on where you need those TPs, BA will do an account adjustment to remove those TPs, which will count as old year due to the date of the flight taken. If they are needed for status retention, that is taken into account too.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DrGee
I obviously misunderstood the point being made in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ship-year.html where point 3) mentions this. I suppose it is pretty ambiguous though.
There's nothing ambiguous about that post, which is about a different topic entirely (namely actually changing the end of your membership year, rather than rolling TPs forward or back from one year to the adjacent membership year).

And if you read the post, the answer in that post to all three points was "no, we won't do this".

The only thing that would be done is the discretionary rolling back of TPs earned in the first two weeks of a membership year to the immediately preceding year.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
There's nothing ambiguous about that post
I hope you don't mind if I disagree.
The only exception is where a flight will be taken within 2 weeks of your membership ending and in this scenario we will review this on a case by case basis and can offer a 2 week "grace" period.
A flight taken in the two weeks before membership year end satisfies that criteria does it not? If such a situation is not covered by the exception mentioned then it is ambiguous.

I'm perfectly happy to accept the situation is what you say it is but I'm sure m'learned friends would suggest the statement above clouds the issue somewhat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.