Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Better (cheaper) to cancel and rebook than change flight?

Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue

Booked a trip to NYC earlier today, but after a while i started thinking that the timings for the return flight (BA112) were kind of bad. Early evening take off would mean that I wouldn't get any sleep at all in Y, which I would need for school the day after. So i wanted to change to my usual return flight, the BA0182, the only flight where I've been able to sleep in Y, and just take the day off.

MMB said a change would cost NOK 180 (18) to change (which I'm okay with), plus the extra fees and charges that applied, seeing that the flights I wanted to change to costs exactly the same, one would think the small change fee would be the only added cost, but somehow they wanted an additional NOK1700 in fees and taxes after I select the flights??

My question then is, since I'm still within the 24hr grace period, and the flights costs the same if I were to book again, will they change it for me over the phone to avoid the hassle of cancelling and refunding, or is it better for me to just cancel and book again?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
if you're in 24h grace period BA will simply cancel your booking and refund all the money straight away so you can book a new ticket.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:46 pm

The most important bit: you need to call BA to have your ticket canceled during the grace period, don't try to do that on-line as it will ignore the grace period and apply your ticket rules.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was advocate cancelling over the telephone and then making a fresh booking over ba.com

The reason being that if you muck around with an existing booking then it may get delayed in ticketing and/or become difficult to manipulate, get upgrades/POUGs via ba.com, though with the Norway add-ons the latter may not happen.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Okay. I guess I'll cancel and rebook then. As long as they refund right away they should be in my account before I need them in two weeks.

Stupid question: can I call another ba office than the Norwegian to do this? They are closed now and my shift at work just changed so I'll be at work without cell coverage until after my grace period is over around noon.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by mckvakk
Okay. I guess I'll cancel and rebook then. As long as they refund right away they should be in my account before I need them in two weeks.

Stupid question: can I call another ba office than the Norwegian to do this? They are closed now and my shift at work just changed so I'll be at work without cell coverage until after my grace period is over around noon.
You can call any BA office to do that.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Great! Then I just have to decide if sleep is worth risking an old WT 777 instead of an refurbished 747. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.