BA flight LAS-LHR lands in Montreal

Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various airlines (BA Silver, AC), hotels (Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold) and credit card programs
BA flight LAS-LHR lands in Montreal

http://globalnews.ca/news/2137146/th...d-in-montreal/
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Our friends at the Daily Mail have also picked up on this - with a slightly more alarmist headline about a bomb threat http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mb-threat.html
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:03 am

It indeed has diverted due to a bomb threat and as a precautionary measure.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA blue
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...reat-1.3171922

According to news it was a bomb threat. Flight landed at 11:00 BST.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, VS - Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Bonvoy Gold
Sky now reporting it was due a 'Suspect Device' being onboard....
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by bradders81
Sky now reporting it was due a 'Suspect Device' being onboard....
Yeah I saw the same thing.

I'm guessing it takes a fairly significant threat to justify a diversion like this? I mean, something a bit more than a bored kid in his bedroom making a phone call? Or is just a "take no chances" policy?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Or is just a "take no chances" policy?

Would you prefer BA to take a chance!?!

What an utterly daft thing to say, especially as someone who supposedly flies a lot!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by BLHD

Would you prefer BA to take a chance!?!

What an utterly daft thing to say, especially as someone who supposedly flies a lot!
Given the amount of hoax bomb threats that are made to transport companies, and the fact they have specific policies in place to find out which are "to be taken seriously", I don't see it as daft.

Back in the days of the IRA they actually had code words they were told to use so the operators would know to take them seriously, such was the level of hoax calls.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: FT
could be worse cities to be diverted to. i think any airline has to be very careful with any threat. all those westjet flights had to divert a few weeks ago after a rash of fake threats.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, VS - Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Bonvoy Gold
I can't see the newer breed of terrorist abiding by codes as they prefer the shock and awe approach to gain effect unfortunately.

I'm thinking this must have been pretty serious and I for one would be glad the captain took the decision. In my mind, this approach from BA in particular is why I like flying with them. It's a strange thing to say but they certainly have done the marketing job on me!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Given the amount of hoax bomb threats that are made to transport companies, and the fact they have specific policies in place to find out which are "to be taken seriously", I don't see it as daft.

Back in the days of the IRA they actually had code words they were told to use so the operators would know to take them seriously, such was the level of hoax calls.
The world is a very different place from the height of the IRA troubles. Every threat to any Aircraft/Airport is assessed by experts in Counter Terrorism.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by BLHD
The world is a very different place from the height of the IRA troubles. Every threat to any Aircraft/Airport is assessed by experts in Counter Terrorism.
...But every bomb threat issued against any target by anyone proclaming to be from the IRA was also assessed. Doesn't mean they evacuated the city centre every time some kid with a grduge called 999.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The students at the London School of Economics knew the prevailing IRA code words in 83-84. Half the lectures for a particularly boring economics lecture were cancelled because calls were made complete with code words.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I hope they catch who ever made the threat and sue them for the cost of the diversion.

Hang on, wasn't there a judge with a grudge against BA recently????
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
to do vs to be seen to be doing

Originally Posted by mkjr
could be worse cities to be diverted to. i think any airline has to be very careful with any threat. all those westjet flights had to divert a few weeks ago after a rash of fake threats.
After a string of what turned out apparently to be hoax calls of threats against Westjet flights in the Prairie provinces a few weeks back there was some airline security expert on the news saying that airlines must be seen to be responding to any and all such threats in this day and age. Let's hope BA won't get multiple threats like that, or it could get really expensive for the company and nightmarish for the pax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.