Option form not working

Old Jul 29, 15, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Option form not working

Yesterday I tried to reserve a flight from Gatwick to Tampa in November but the online form which lets you reserve the seat wasn't working properly so I gave up and decided to try again this morning. Guess what BA have put the prices up considerably.
I wonder if they will let me honour the deal at yesterday's price (434) or do I have to wait for a sale.....
Old Jul 29, 15, 4:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Why didn't you complete the booking and select seats through MMB afterwards?
Old Jul 29, 15, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I wonder whether trophy means that they tried to use the "hold the price" option.

A batch of fares expired last night and the replacement fares are indeed higher. Strange things can happen during the last few hours of a fare's validity, and (if this is what the OP was trying) I wonder whether that might have had something to do with it.

I can foresee a problem, though, in that the OP probably has no evidence that he was quoted any particular price yesterday or that there was an attempt to "hold the price".

[ETA:] I don't know what price the OP is seeing today, but I can easily get an N class fare in both directions at about 530. However, interestingly there are O and Q class fares filed which look like they ought to be valid for the random dates I've looked at in November, but I can't get either ba.com or ITA to price using them. If the OP could get the O class fare, there might be 60 off the price that I found, which could be a small consolation as it would be most of the way back to 434.

But in the OP's shoes, I'd have booked straight away (in the knowledge that the fare was about to expire last night) with the comfort of knowing I had 24 hours to change my mind and get a full refund.

Last edited by Globaliser; Jul 29, 15 at 4:21 am
Old Jul 29, 15, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Yes it was the option to hold the price form that I was talking about.
I had no idea that the prices were changing last night or I would have done something about it a day earlier.
The price of 434 was valid for the 10th or 11th November returning on 3rd October, BA non stop to Tampa.

I do feel like writing to them about it but doubt I will get much joy.
Old Jul 29, 15, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trophy View Post
I had no idea that the prices were changing last night or I would have done something about it a day earlier.
Sorry, on re-reading my post I should have made clear that I wasn't suggesting that you did.

However, I would have priced the itinerary on ITA as well and read the fare rules. One of the reasons I do this is specifically to find out if there is a time limit on the fare and when that would be. Even if you get no joy out of anyone else, that would be one lesson which I could suggest you take away from this for the future.
Old Jul 29, 15, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Globaliser for your replies and the information.
I don't think that BA announce when their fares are going to change unless there is a sale on.

I'll appeal to the "charitable" nature of BA!

Last edited by trophy; Jul 29, 15 at 5:02 pm
Old Jul 29, 15, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trophy View Post
I don't think that BA announce when their fares are going to change unless there is a sale on.
No, normally you have to get that from the rules of the fare that you're interested in.

FWIW, I've discovered why the new O and Q class fares don't work. They explicitly exclude use on the LGW-TPA non-stops.

Search this Thread