Search

Ex-dub trip luggage arrangements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Question Ex-dub trip luggage arrangements

Afternoon all,

So in a couple of weeks time my gf and I are off on our very first EX-EU to the US in Club out of DUB

Our positioning flight is good old BA4463 from lcy to dub the evening before (Fri)

Since we plan to take 2 x Carry on and 2x large suitcases I recently realised that lugging two large bags to work Fri morning rush hour and then slogging to lcy after work, to suffer their checked bag queues wasn't a good idea. So decided I would go to Heathrow on the Thursday evening and put them in bag drop in arrivals (I live in west London anyways so not a hassle). Then on Saturday morning when we arrive from DUB we could exit into arrivals collect them and recheck for the TATL.

Now I've found out there is a tube strike so that has complicated that plan.

Just wanted a bit of advice really.

Should I try my plan to stash them at Heathrow as I'm conscious rechecking means going through all the security etc again and on a Saturday morning I just want to go enjoy the lounge for a bit?

Or should I just bite the bullet and take them to DUB on the Friday evening?

Sorry I know this is 1st world problems but interested to know what others have done!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Adam Shaw
Afternoon all,

So in a couple of weeks time my gf and I are off on our very first EX-EU to the US in Club out of DUB

Our positioning flight is good old BA4463 from lcy to dub the evening before (Fri)

Since we plan to take 2 x Carry on and 2x large suitcases I recently realised that lugging two large bags to work Fri morning rush hour and then slogging to lcy after work, to suffer their checked bag queues wasn't a good idea. So decided I would go to Heathrow on the Thursday evening and put them in bag drop in arrivals (I live in west London anyways so not a hassle). Then on Saturday morning when we arrive from DUB we could exit into arrivals collect them and recheck for the TATL.

Should I try my plan to stash them at Heathrow as I'm conscious rechecking means going through all the security etc again and on a Saturday morning I just want to go enjoy the lounge for a bit?

Sorry I know this is 1st world problems but interested to know what others have done!
I think you need to through check your bags to the final destination on the ticket in both directions, at least coming home anyway. On the way out I am not so sure, but believe you need to check them in DUB.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I think you need to through check your bags to the final destination on the ticket in both directions, at least coming home anyway. On the way out I am not so sure, but believe you need to check them in DUB.
There will not be a problem with checking in bags at LHR (I have done this before on ex-EU TATLs) so no need to take them to DUB if the OP doesn't want to.

Adam Shaw - I'd consider driving to LHR and dropping bags off on Thursday.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:43 am

Thanks Psychi that's interesting to know.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
though that is correct, as Physci says, you can add 'extra' bags along the way, i.e. no issue checking in back at LHR having already flown DUB LHR.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:30 pm
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
Afternoon all,

Coming from DUB you have to go through security again
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:03 pm

And also no passport checks , so that's a few minutes back.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:49 pm

Raffles recently covered this service which may be an option if you don't want to take your bags into the office. Eats into the ex-DUB savings though:
http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/03...r-london-city/

I haven't used them myself but expect to before the year is out...
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
I always stash my bags with the left luggage co in T5, nothing would persuade me that dragging my checked bag all the way to the bus stop in DUB is a good idea
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Afternoon all,

For future reference, I find it greatly easier to do ex-EU trips as follows:

Day 1 am: positioning flight.
Day 1 pm: sector 1 of ex-EU trip. This means you have a day trip to and from your EU origin point that can be done with nothing more than a passport and a wallet.

Day 2: (long haul) sector 2 of ex-EU trip, from LHR. Turn up with you hold luggage, check as normal for an ex-LHR long haul trip. Make sure <24h separates sectors 1 and 2.

Day N: long haul sector 3 back into LHR.

Day N or N+1: sector 4 from LCY/LGW to EU origin point. This give you the option to dump your hold luggage in London and not have to schlep it to your EU origin point.

Day N+1/N+2: return to London.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Greg66
Quote:

Afternoon all,

For future reference, I find it greatly easier to do ex-EU trips as follows:

Day 1 am: positioning flight.
Day 1 pm: sector 1 of ex-EU trip. This means you have a day trip to and from your EU origin point that can be done with nothing more than a passport and a wallet.

Day 2: (long haul) sector 2 of ex-EU trip, from LHR. Turn up with you hold luggage, check as normal for an ex-LHR long haul trip. Make sure &lt;24h separates sectors 1 and 2.

Day N: long haul sector 3 back into LHR.

Day N or N+1: sector 4 from LCY/LGW to EU origin point. This give you the option to dump your hold luggage in London and not have to schlep it to your EU origin point.

Day N+1/N+2: return to London.
Very holiday intense though - though I also did the DUB rotation the night before recent HNL trip and have done same in the past as agree, it breaks it up a bit and makes it a bit more pleasant.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by chris1979
Very holiday intense though ...
I'm doing roughly the same as Greg66, but if you're based in/near London it doesn't have to be holiday intense. One tactic that I've been using is doing the "Day 1" day trip as a back-to-back late in the afternoon (and perhaps on a Friday), so that it involves nothing more than skiving off work a bit early. The last full LCY-AMS-LCY rotation of the day has been useful for this.

The same applies at the end of the ticket.

Also, the saving that can be had if sector 1 is flown during the travel periods of a fare sale can sometimes make it worthwhile to have a > 24 hour break between sector 1 and sector 2 (the first long-haul) even though it means that APD has to be paid. In any event, on our regular routes it can be difficult to have < 24 hours between sector 1 and sector 2 if trying to do them on different calendar days but not taking Day 2 as holiday.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris1979

Very holiday intense though ...

I'm doing roughly the same as Greg66, but if you're based in/near London it doesn't have to be holiday intense. One tactic that I've been using is doing the &quot;Day 1&quot; day trip as a back-to-back late in the afternoon (and perhaps on a Friday), so that it involves nothing more than skiving off work a bit early. The last full LCY-AMS-LCY rotation of the day has been useful for this.

The same applies at the end of the ticket.

Also, the saving that can be had if sector 1 is flown during the travel periods of a fare sale can sometimes make it worthwhile to have a &gt; 24 hour break between sector 1 and sector 2 (the first long-haul) even though it means that APD has to be paid. In any event, on our regular routes it can be difficult to have &lt; 24 hours between sector 1 and sector 2 if trying to do them on different calendar days but not taking Day 2 as holiday.
I try to do exactly that - rotation night before. I read your post to suggest AM and PM travel though rather than evening back to back hence my comment.

On the way back, I usually ride it out straight away as not sure I could face heading home / to the office and then do a rotation after a long trip / day.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:50 pm

Hello
I live in London and have an ex-Eu BA flight booked. On the return leg, would it be possible to have bags checked to LON rather than the final destination, so I can put them in storage? Then I can make the final leg a quick turnaround rather than having to collect bags? Or will BA insist on tagging bags to their final destination?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Policy says they should insist on the latter.

I've asked for short checking twice - both times with a long layover (arrive LHR 10 a.m., fly out 5/6 p.m.) - the first time from IAD for no obvious reason, the second time because I'd bought medicine in ORD and the bottle was too big to carry on with me.

On both occasions I was able to do so, and I was a gold travelling business class on each occasion. I don't know if any of those factors were relevant - in any event the bag was small enough to carry on so I wouldn't have been stuck.

(But I am a big fan of travelling hand baggage only if you possibly can, regardless, especially in Club where there is no shortage of space).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.