Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA clamping down on missed final ex-EU sector [?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA clamping down on missed final ex-EU sector [?]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I have just read the conditions of carriage on BA and they specifically state that you can request a partial refund (in this case just taxes and surcharges) if you cancel your ticket mid-journey. This is different than changing your itinerary mind you.

You only need a valid reason if you request BA to refund the non-refundable part.
Unless your ticket is fully flexible, doesn't it all become non-refundable once you have flown the first leg?

Such clauses usually also contain the wording 'subject to recalculation for legs already flown' which means they work out the price of what you've done if booked standalone and knock that off what you paid. Which, in this case, would be minus Ł3000 or so!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Raffles
Unless your ticket is fully flexible, doesn't it all become non-refundable once you have flown the first leg?

Such clauses usually also contain the wording 'subject to recalculation for legs already flown' which means they work out the price of what you've done if booked standalone and knock that off what you paid. Which, in this case, would be minus Ł3000 or so!
Not with BA. Show me where it says that....
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
You're either a member of BAEC, or you're not. And if they decide you're not, that opens a pretty big can of worms.
I suggest you go re-read the Executive Club Terms & Conditions (You did read them at the time of joining, right?!)... BA can have rid of you in a Heartbeat without a single worm escaping the can.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Not with BA. Show me where it says that....
Here?
10c3) If you have used part of the ticket, the refund will be equal to the difference between the fare and any surcharge, taxes, fees and charges you have paid and the correct fare, surcharge, taxes, fees and charges for travel between the points for which you have used the ticket, less any cancellation and reasonable service charge.
(Emphasis added.)
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No. Cancellation penalties after departure may be difference between fare paid and cost for journey undertaken ( subject to any penalties that may apply )
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Here?(Emphasis added.)
Probably. So that just means you should not ask for a refund.

BA even answers a similar question in their FAQs.

Question
Can I change / use my return ticket for a one-way journey?

Answer
The fare you have paid is based on the journey shown on your e-ticket receipt, i.e. for a return journey it will detail specific outbound and return flights.

If you want to change all or part of your journey, you'll need to contact British Airways or your travel agent (whoever you booked your ticket with), or visit Manage My Booking on ba.com. If your fare type allows the kind of changes you need, we'll recalculate the new fare for your proposed change.

It's important to note that flights listed on your e-ticket can't be used out of sequence - this means that if you don't tell us in advance about the change you need and choose not to travel on one of your flights, it will unfortunately invalidate all remaining unused flights on your e-ticket and they will be automatically cancelled.
A lot of meaningless words that say that the only penalty BA can enforce is cancelation of the remainder of the ticket. Which is basically the same as answering "YES!"... Seems logical to me.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The likelihood of BA suing customers for damages is slim. The place this is easily dealt with is through BAEC and by shutting off TA's and holding corporate customers to heel for their employees' actions (e.g., cancelling future discounts).

Nobody wants the can of worms opened as to whether they actually do have a property right earned for benefits paid for by a third party, e.g. employer. The individual income tax consequences can become quite substantial for the frequent business flyer.

Lastly, maybe the real losers here are the Irish. If the losses to BA from this scheme are such that they have drawn significant attention, maybe xDUB pricing is changed to make it less favorable or to prohibit routings through LON.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The likelihood of BA suing customers for damages is slim.
They are NIL... BA can't sue. It is scaremongering and it would pay if owners of travel blogs did a bit more research before quoting so-called reliable sources.

Do a dummy booking to HKG ex-EU. On the 'price' page it will clearly show you 4 flights with 4 Fare conditions. Each flight is separate. The only problem is that cancelation of / no-show for any segment may (they don't even say will) cancel the entire ticket. It is also what BA says in their conditions. That matters for any segment but the last...

So it is completely legal. Nothing to sue over.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
They are NIL... BA can't sue. It is scaremongering and it would pay if owners of travel blogs did a bit more research before quoting so-called reliable sources.
The sources do not get more reliable.

Whether BA is scaremongering or not is a different issue!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The sources do not get more reliable.

Whether BA is scaremongering or not is a different issue!
I know you as reliable but maybe before publishing this on your forum which depends on your credibility (congrats on the success btw !! ^) it may be wise to check if it is even legally possible.

If BA is scaremongering and using you for that, maybe you should re-evaluate your relationship with them. For your own sake.

Maybe those sources can tell you how they legally think they can carry out what the claim ? They can't even reciprocate by expelling me, because I broke no rule.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
The article only speculates that it would be court action. What's more likely is that they would close down tour BAEC account and you lose all of your Avios, TPs and status. That's not difficult or embarrassing for BA at all.
Yes simple to do, a bigger deterrent than any legal action and the general public wouldn't give a hoot if it made the papers.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes simple to do, a bigger deterrent than any legal action and the general public wouldn't give a hoot if it made the papers.
Well, it's not that difficult to make a stink about 'BA is stealing my Avios' in the media either. However, since this is all nonsense and nobody has ever been evicted from BAEC for this or not using a return, I don't think we need to worry. Especially since it is all legal.

What are the latest 'being evicted from my FFP' stories anyway ?

I think I read something about AA members being punished for buying up fully refundable F inventory to increase op-up chances ? Any others ?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Well, it's not that difficult to make a stink about 'BA is stealing my Avios' in the media either. However, since this is all nonsense and nobody has ever been evicted from BAEC for this or not using a return, I don't think we need to worry. Especially since it is all legal.
It would be interesting if BA did close someones account or remove all their Avios and that person chose to challenge BA in court. Particularly if that person had bought some Avios, or transferred them from Tesco Clubcard vouchers, which have a real monetary value

Whilst BA's T&Cs can say what they want, I'd like to think that consumer law would protect people in such case, especially where its not clear that the person did anything in contravention of the T&Cs.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I can just take my Ex EU flying to virgin then - no problem - the fares are often very similar except in cases of ultra special offers.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I know you as reliable but maybe before publishing this on your forum which depends on your credibility (congrats on the success btw !! ^) it may be wise to check if it is even legally possible.

If BA is scaremongering and using you for that, maybe you should re-evaluate your relationship with them. For your own sake.
I'm sure that Raffles is perfectly able to look after himself in this respect. There's nothing in that article which would harm his credibility one bit whether BA were to decide to take action or not to take action, and whether any action taken were ultimately successful or unsuccessful. It seems like a perfectly fair piece in this respect.

For my own part, I would be more concerned about Raffles' credibility were he to assert that BA hasn't got a legal leg to stand on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.