Minimum connection time BA to Domestic at PHL?

Old Jul 14, 15, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold...Aah how nice! HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond,AA Yellow + Tesco
Minimum connection time BA to Domestic at PHL?

Hi all,

I fly in to PHL on BA on the 3rd Oct on a non flexible booking. Due to a change of plans I now need to connect to a flight to IAH. My flight arrives at 1545.

I am in F so can be first off and hopefully get the luggage fast. I have a choice of US Airways at 1715 or Delta at 1800.

I would prefer to use US Airways but this just gives me 90 mins to deplane, collect luggage, clear immigration and check back in for the domestic flight.

Can it be done or is it cutting it too tight?

Thanks!

Richard
Old Jul 14, 15, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I found connecting at PHL very easy and think 90 minutes would be fine especially if you are in First.
Old Jul 14, 15, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The official MCT for BA-US appears to be 90 minutes, although technically MCT has little meaning if you're on two separate tickets.

For BA-DL, the MCT appears to be 210 minutes (3:30).
Old Jul 14, 15, 7:18 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by Aerotec View Post
Hi all,

I fly in to PHL on BA on the 3rd Oct on a non flexible booking. Due to a change of plans I now need to connect to a flight to IAH. My flight arrives at 1545.

I am in F so can be first off and hopefully get the luggage fast. I have a choice of US Airways at 1715 or Delta at 1800.

I would prefer to use US Airways but this just gives me 90 mins to deplane, collect luggage, clear immigration and check back in for the domestic flight.

Can it be done or is it cutting it too tight?

Thanks!

Richard
Take US Airways and tell BA at check in at London to tag your bags to IAH- then print your boarding pass for your US Airways flight at T-24! Don't bother with DL and connecting at one of their hubs.

Although, you truly don't need to do this at all- because you will have to collect your bags for customs to enter the U.S. The bag drop/ check in for us airways is straight after customs and is very simple to do. BA luggage delivery is always quick in PHL I find.
Old Jul 14, 15, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
When I flew through PHL in April I wouldn't have been through immigration in 90 min. Maybe a slow day, but I was on US and it seems that all their TATLs arrive together so the capacity just isn't there. F wouldn't have made a difference as there were too many flights in front of me.

If things are much quieter by 1545 then it would be easy if the plane isn't seriously late, although if it is late then US are much more likely to help than DL.

Aren't all A class fares changeable for a fee? (On the other hand that fee could still be more than a walk up economy flight, or close,to it).
Old Jul 14, 15, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
I don't know if this also applies to US bookings, but AA protects oneworld->AA 'connections', even on separate tickets...

(ETA: I would really hope it does, given they're now a single airline and all).
Old Jul 15, 15, 1:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman View Post
I don't know if this also applies to US bookings, but AA protects oneworld->AA 'connections', even on separate tickets...

Unofficially they do. And the last US flight is on (approx) 17 October, so the OP is on one of the last services. I've also found PHL a breeze to get through, but of course you never can be sure how many aircraft come in 20 minutes before your service. I'd be happy to take this connection, albeit as hand baggage only.
Old Jul 15, 15, 1:40 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman View Post

I've always thought their protection works by having the inbound carrier take responsibility, ie if BA is late and you miss the connection to AA/US, they expect BA to handle it.
Old Jul 15, 15, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by agehall View Post
I've always thought their protection works by having the inbound carrier take responsibility, ie if BA is late and you miss the connection to AA/US, they expect BA to handle it.
I am not sure that is right. If you arrive late on BA and you have a separate onward AA ticket you need to speak to AA to sort you out. BA have delivered you to the destination on the BA ticket and no longer have any responsibility. The AA flight is the one you missed and need to be rebooked on so AA will sort that out.
Old Jul 15, 15, 2:59 am

to add another data point, my last trip to PHL (in WTP so not first off the plane), immigration was less than 15 minutes and by the time I was at the carousel, luggage was starting to arrive (all except mine which went astray that is)

90 mins is taking a risk, but in my view a lower risk at PHL than other US gateways
Old Jul 15, 15, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold...Aah how nice! HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond,AA Yellow + Tesco
Thanks all for the superb comments.

I will book the US flight and fingers crossed we arrive on time. This flight arrives in to IAH 2hrs before the 1800 departure which is good.

After a few hours in the CCR and an F flight I will be wanting my bed so an earlier arrival to IAH will be ideal.
Old Jul 15, 15, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GfL
15:45 is prime time for international arrivals at PHL. You may find the immigration line quite daunting. Since PHL is also a major US hub, you may also find a pile-up at the baggage re-check after customs, although on this I have no experience (since PHL is my home airport and I never check bags anyway).

I think you will squeak through, but be prepared for some anxiety, and be sure that you know what terminal you are going to so you can get through PHL with a minimum of searching.

I would not assume that AA/US will re-book you on the 18:00 DL flight if you miss the 17:15 US flight.
Old Jul 15, 15, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by agehall View Post
"Protection" is an inaccurate term. If you are on one ticket and BA delivers you late to PHL causing you to misconnect, BA is responsible for rebooking you onward. The key to timing is to figure Plan B. Are you OK with an overnight at PHL? Your backup here is likely on WN at 4:45 (via either ATL or MDW to HOU, not IAH). But, WN does not interline with any other carrier, so it is a cash purchase on the spot.

But, OP is not on one ticket and not connecting. BA's obligation ends at PHL.
As an initial matter, I'm not seeing a US/AA flight to IAH at that time on October 3. Certainly nothing later. Thus, if you no show for your xPHL, you are at a minimum stuck overnight.

AA (not US), had a published policy whereby it would rebook in "disruptions" across OW tickets. However, AA has removed that statement from its website, but leaves it in the back pages for TA's. Whether it remains a consumer-facing policy by October for US flights remains to be seen.
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just wondering if a 90 minute connection is still do-able at PHL connecting from BA F to AA Y (domestic) flight? I'm planning (far ahead) for travel on Christmas Day!
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:47 am

Programs: BA GfL
Nothing has changed since the thread was started in 2015. Depending on what time your flight arrives into PHL, you may be jammed up with other arriving flights, or you may not. Then again, Christmas Day is always a very light travel day, so I’d assume a minimum of crowding.
puqui99 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: