Interlining bags with separate tickets

Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by rjn21
The policy published at the link in the 1st post has not been changed. It is possible, but unlikely, that the policy has been changed and not published. More likely that the Twitter person was in error.

Suggest you take a printed copy of both the OneWorld policy (not worth much due to its use of undefined terms) and the BA policy (which is very clear), with you to check in, in case of resistance.
Thanks! Curiously, however, MH is absent from the "MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO" options for BA in Expertflyer.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, SPG Gold, SLH Honoured
MH policy

Flew MH (domestic) -> QR, which were separate tickets on the 21st December. Check in agent said MH has reversed their no interlining on separate tickets policy due to customer complaints. Back to they will do it for OW and other partners. Even printed my boarding passes right then!

Also worth pointing out that most MH check in staff are currently employed on rolling short term contracts with limited notice required. Understandably they are not so focussed on reading up the latest policies etc.! It was depressing to hear them say "hope to see you soon, if I still have a job when you're next here".
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Waran
Flew MH (domestic) -> QR, which were separate tickets on the 21st December. Check in agent said MH has reversed their no interlining on separate tickets policy due to customer complaints. Back to they will do it for OW and other partners. Even printed my boarding passes right then!

Also worth pointing out that most MH check in staff are currently employed on rolling short term contracts with limited notice required. Understandably they are not so focussed on reading up the latest policies etc.! It was depressing to hear them say "hope to see you soon, if I still have a job when you're next here".
Not a hugely reassuring sentiment within an airline that is trying to rebuild passengers' trust in their safety, I must say.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:03 am

Hi Bloomsbury. Did you ever resolve your issue with your bags for your onward check in?

I have 4 separate PNR's for a family trip to Cape Town via Doha - companion voucher and miles nightmare to save cash. BA out and Qatar onwards. One child of 2 is checked all the way through but the others family members are not. I am debating whether to chance the online check in for Qatar before getting the BA flight in the hope it all works out at LHR. All the PNR's have been linked and Qatar say it's fine but BA obviously say that won't confirm until the day...

I wouldn't normally stress but one other child needs a new passport if we need to all recheck in again in Doha. Presumably I should just get one anyhow as it would be too risky otherwise.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
I think we can probably count on one hand the number of times the BA twitter team has given a correct answer.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Interlining Bags MH to SQ

I need to fly SIN-KUL-PVG-SIN next week. Buying a multi-segment ticket looks expensive. I'm planning to buy two separate round trips. SIN-KUL-SIN on MH & SIN-PVG-SIN on SQ. KUL-SIN & SIN-PVG will be on same day and few hours apart. Wondering if MH will do a through check-in to PVG. Is that possible?

I see that some MH code flights between KUL-SIN are in SQ Metal. I can try booking one of those too. Will SQ do a through check-in for KUL-SIN-PVG? But, I won't get any AA credit for KUL-SIN flight I guess.

Last edited by jagadishgandhi; Apr 29, 2016 at 12:00 am
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:42 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Just checked in at T5
3 separate tickets

BA
QR
KA (MH) ticketed

He could only check through to the end of the QR leg in Hong Kong.
First dragon air isn't a one world member then it's because the maximum number of airports on the bag tag that can be listed is 3 and one has to be the destination.

I knew this wasn't true as I've done a bag tag with 4 airports listed. Anyway no love lost, will collect in Hong Kong and recheck from their to my KA flight.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jagadishgandhi
Wondering if MH will do a through check-in to PVG. Is that possible?
MH has a poor record in this area even if all oneworld, so I can't see them through checking on separate tickets. You note that this is cheaper, and effectively through-checking comes at a price to the airline, which is surprisingly high. So by splitting your tickets you are to some degree depriving yourself of one of the benefits of through ticketing, if through checking has a value to you then you will need to pay for it. SQ will through check on one ticket (and are generally more generous about this than MH).

Originally Posted by linzbh
Just checked in at T5
3 separate tickets

BA
QR
KA (MH) ticketed

First dragon air isn't a one world member then it's because the maximum number of airports on the bag tag that can be listed is 3 and one has to be the destination.
I can imagine with 3 tickets you are going to be pushing your luck! But yes you are right that is allowed to have 4 or more airports and they can continue the airport listing on to a second tag, KA is also OK for interlining. However MH is on a different ticketing system (you presumably gave them the number?) so I can see the agent may have struggled to extract the codeshare information that far down the chain. But for the faff of immigration (unless you can use the e-gates) HKG is a good place to collect and recheck your bags, one if not the most efficient big airport on the planet.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by linzbh
Just checked in at T5
3 separate tickets

BA
QR
KA (MH) ticketed

I knew this wasn't true as I've done a bag tag with 4 airports listed. Anyway no love lost, will collect in Hong Kong and recheck from their to my KA flight.
KA IS a ONEWORLD member. What planet was the agent on?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
KA isn't a oneworld member. Please check here https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview

CX is a member and KA is a oneworld affiliate https://www.oneworld.com/member-airl...ine-affiliates
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by KARFA
KA isn't a oneworld member. Please check here https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview

CX is a member and KA is a oneworld affiliate https://www.oneworld.com/member-airl...ine-affiliates
Someone better tell Cathay Dragon then... If you go to their website, why is there a Oneworld logo?

http://www.dragonair.com/ka/en_HK.html

KA is very much a part of OW like all of BA's affiliates are...the main difference being they all use BA's code whereas KA uses their own.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Someone better tell Cathay Dragon then... If you go to their website, why is there a Oneworld logo?

http://www.dragonair.com/ka/en_HK.html
The logo is there because they are a oneworld affiliate as I noted and as the oneworld site states.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:16 am

Almost got burned by this today. Was connecting BA to BA AMS-LGW-TPA on two separate tickets/PNRs with a 90 minute connection time. Was shocked at AMS check-in when they wouldn't through check the luggage. Made it through customs, baggage claim, bag drop, security, and back to the gate in 40 minutes at LGW. Very stressful.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:57 am

the BA to BA no through check has been hit and miss previously since the One World change in June but officially is a NO from a couple of weeks ago....could have been very expensive had you missed your flight!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-tickets.html
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:28 am

I think I read someone saying SAA are very decent when it comes to interlining to other airlines? Q whether it would be possible to book from Nelspruit through to LHR with separate PNRs SAA to BA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.