Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special meals in lhr ccr?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
On a similar note... just had my first Hermolis CE Kosher meal, I’m nowhere near Jewish but had heard good things about them. The starter was at least five times the size of the usual CE salmon (it was still salmon) and came with potato salad. The main was a nice bit of chicken and rice, the pudding was a sort of profiterole. Made a very nice change from the usual CE rotation, even if I baffled myself when it arrived as I’d forgotten I ordered it. The amount of plastic wrapping, both cellophane and hard plastic, on every individual item, plus over the whole thing, seemed rather OTT given recent press about single use plastics. It was nice to have masses of cutlery though.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA Plat HH Dia Prior Club Plat
Thank you for the update!

Flying Cyclist, welcome to the world of kosher in-flight packaging! Seems like over-kill, but there is a requirement of specific wrapping needed in order to heat meals in non-kosher ovens on the plant (or CCR) which is what drives the yards or plastic used. Being US based where there are no KSML offered on any domestic flights, I suppose the overall kosher plastic impact is still down from a few years back when we would get meals on longer flights....
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
On a similar note... just had my first Hermolis CE Kosher meal, I’m nowhere near Jewish but had heard good things about them. The starter was at least five times the size of the usual CE salmon (it was still salmon) and came with potato salad. The main was a nice bit of chicken and rice, the pudding was a sort of profiterole. Made a very nice change from the usual CE rotation, even if I baffled myself when it arrived as I’d forgotten I ordered it. The amount of plastic wrapping, both cellophane and hard plastic, on every individual item, plus over the whole thing, seemed rather OTT given recent press about single use plastics. It was nice to have masses of cutlery though.
The plastic wrapping is because very occasionally, kosher meals are ordered by people who keep kosher rather than people like you and me who just want more (and typically better) food and some variation from endlessly repetitive meals if we fly a lot in one given month. It prevents the risk of "cross contamination" either from forbidden foods (pork, shellfish, crustaceans, etc) or between products which people who strictly keep kosher cannot mix (such as meat-based and dairy products).

In fact, most crew will ask you if they can remove the wrappings before serving you a KSML.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Yes, I understand why it needs to be there, it just seems like something to consider re environmental responsibility. There was an awful lot. Cardboard...? And yes, I know saying “environmentalism” sounds a bit daft having just spent 3 hours in a metal tube spewing masses of CO2 into the air...and having ordered a KSML as I am in a metal tube spewing CO2 into the air too often. And I race bicycles, which are meant to be environmentally lovely, other than when they are transported around Europe every other week in said metal tube... One of life’s great contradictions.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Off topic; To put kosher food in a non kosher oven it must be double wrapped securely. The requirements for the plastic as it is probably came from the authority that certifies the food as kosher.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
The Kosher breakfast option one would get in the CCR/GF is the same as the CE breakfast. It is the tasty spinnach with baked beans, tomatoes, potatoes and a sausages.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tedcruz
The Kosher breakfast option one would get in the CCR/GF is the same as the CE breakfast. It is the tasty spinnach with baked beans, tomatoes, potatoes and a sausages.
Well, I'd have much preferred some stuffed goose neck!
tedcruz likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:36 am

The new KSMLs in GF. They are also available in the CCR.
Spaghetti Bolognaise and spicy chicken with rice. There is also salmon on pasta avalance.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Deliveroo Plus

Kosher breakfast in CCR, seems to have improved recently !
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
The breakfast looks quite nice. The dishes above it however look disgusting and I hope they taste better than they look.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by tedcruz

The new KSMLs in GF. They are also available in the CCR.
Spaghetti Bolognaise and spicy chicken with rice. There is also salmon on pasta avalance.
Hmm... kosher or not, that's definitely penne rather than spaghetti!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Hmm... kosher or not, that's definitely penne rather than spaghetti!
Indeed, sorry. The new Salmon dish which I have to upload a photo of is on spaghetti.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Mike P
The breakfast looks quite nice. The dishes above it however look disgusting and I hope they taste better than they look.
They do! They also sometimes have a vegetarian lasagne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.