Wiki Posts
Search

BA discriminates solo travelers!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Octavian Antony
Good luck with establishing the rule of law in there. In the UK, you can't sell a room and 1 airplane seat for more than the same room and 2 airplane seats.
Very best of luck with your court case.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
I don't get why the OP is so riled up over a very natural thing in economics - price discrimination - as people have mentioned.

It's not the first time BA does this, anyway. It's common on this thread to get cheaper tickets for uhm DUB-LHR-SIN/whatevs versus LHR-SIN, although you're technically flying one less segment, but still you get charged extra.

What I find odd is what makes OP so insistent on getting himself to pay more when there's a cheaper option. Or complain that it is unfair that he pays more for solo without noticing it can be read in the way that couples just get a, well, discount.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
As single travellers, discrimination is rife. If I want to travel and do things, I have no choice but to get on with it. Hotels. Cruise lines. Trains (sleepers). etc.

I have sailed to New York several times and as a solo passenger, I pay 175% or 200% of the fare, depending on class of travel, for the same service.

Amtrak in the US. Price to upgrade to a sleeper compartment is for 1 or 2 people. You get meals included in that, but I only get to eat one breakfast, lunch and dinner, not two at each sitting…

I have just booked a hotel in Brussels for a conference, I am paying the same for a double room as a single person as I would if I were sharing with someone else.

I don't see the point in getting so angry about it.
Not to mention single supplement on tours (admittedly, I did get around this by finding mates that want to travel with me and split the cost, especially after I got status.)
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Good luck with establishing the rule of law in there. In the UK, you can't sell a room and 1 airplane seat for more than the same room and 2 airplane seats.
Antony,

Yes, you can.

And calm down! Helsinki is good, but it's not so good you need to have a tantrum about it.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Not to mention single supplement on tours (admittedly, I did get around this by finding mates that want to travel with me and split the cost, especially after I got status.)
In terms of sailing… I am a crosser, not a cruiser, and thankfully, there is no single supplement for flower arranging or napkin folding…
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
A different two versus one anomaly shows up regularly at my local Waitrose. Buy one reduced punnet of strawberries for Ł1, buy two of them for -50p.

Not quite the same thing, but computers and pricing algorithms occasionally churn out nonsense.

Not sure why Waitrose haven't corrected their system, perhaps not enough customers have complained about it ....
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
A different two versus one anomaly shows up regularly at my local Waitrose. Buy one reduced punnet of strawberries for Ł1, buy two of them for -50p.

Not quite the same thing, but computers and pricing algorithms occasionally churn out nonsense.

Not sure why Waitrose haven't corrected their system, perhaps not enough customers have complained about it ....
Punnet...

That's a nice word; never knew there was a special moniker for those little baskets.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think there is a need to chill over the 'solo traveller discrimination' bit. I've seen non-solo traveller discrimination - why should one hotel room cost more just because there are two of you, even if you share the same bed, for instance?

If we want to interpret things in the worst possible light, we can make ourselves miserable and get wound up.

If we want to make the most of life, there are things that are not very productive to get wound up about.

If we want to find a way to get around it, we can.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Punnet...

That's a nice word; never knew there was a special moniker for those little baskets.
Is it a rather English word? I've always said "punnet" of strawberries etc but I have been given funny look in non-English English speaking countries.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Is it a rather English word? I've always said "punnet" of strawberries etc but I have been given funny look in non-English English speaking countries.
When I looked it up, it was mentioned as being common in Commonwealth countries.

It's much more efficient than the American word: "those-little-baskets-strawberries-and-sometimes-other-berries-come-in."

I'll enjoy using it to confound fruit stand owners across the country.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I always thought that the single supplement was quite common with tour operators. It seems BA is doing the same thing. Not that I have ever agreed with this industry policy nor really understood it for that matter.

Best of luck to the OP.

H
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Originally Posted by Hoch
I always thought that the single supplement was quite common with tour operators. It seems BA is doing the same thing. Not that I have ever agreed with this industry policy nor really understood it for that matter.

Best of luck to the OP.

H
+1

The OP needs to chill...

Every holiday brochure i have ever picked up has those words at the bottom. The best way I found to avoid them is to book Hotel and Flights seperate but at the same time with a (competent) TA who is ATOL protected, OK you pay a wee bit more, but not as much as the single supplement, and your protected, or use a singles only TA.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I don't know about Azerbaijan, but in the UK it's illegal to charge different prices for the same product on the same website at the same time.
You're buying different products.

One is for 1 airplane seat and 1 hotel room whilst the other is for 2 airplane seats and 1 hotel room.

Something tells me BA is safe from your legal advances on this one, but do let us know how it goes!!

You might want to be nicer to the judge than you have been to the people who have replied to your thread as you might otherwise find your case being dismissed rather more quickly than you would like (if indeed it gets anywhere in the first place, something I highly doubt)
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:31 am

Is this really a serious thread, or a spoof?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hoch

Best of luck to the OP.

H
When selling a package tour , single supplements in principle make sense since hotel rooms are generally sold at a price per room, not per person. Taking a 7 day trip , if the flight costs $200 per person and the room costs $100 a night, for 2 people the total cost would be $1100 and for 1 person $900 . On a per person basis would be quoted as $550 (based on 2 people) with a $50 per night single supplement

In the case where the single supplement is higher than paying for 2 people, seems rather odd - but there is nothing illegal in what BA holidays is doing. If it wants to charge more for a solo passenger , it can

perhaps the Op could look at a differernt operator or just book flights and hotels separately
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.