Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fastest way from T3 airside to T5 landside?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

This has probably been covered somewhere, but my search didn't find it:

Which is faster when arriving on an international flight, clearing immigration in T3 and taking the train to T5, or taking the flight connections bus to T5 before clearing immigration there?

Or maybe the question is moot - will I even be allowed on the bus without an onward boarding pass?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by JonV
This has probably been covered somewhere, but my search didn't find it:

Which is faster when arriving on an international flight, clearing immigration in T3 and taking the train to T5, or taking the flight connections bus to T5 before clearing immigration there?

Or maybe the question is moot - will I even be allowed on the bus without an onward boarding pass?
You'll have to clear immigration at T3 without a boarding pass for a flight from T5.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
That isn't true, you can clear immigration in T5 if you wish, obviously if HBO.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL
I thought so, and yes, definitely HBO. But the question remains, is it faster?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
From T3 to T5, I would say it's faster staying airside, yes. From T5 to T3 I am not so sure anymore since the new T3 flight connections system started.

There are no boarding pass checks between walking off the plane in T3 and arriving by bus in T5.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Also please note that you can catch the transfer bus directly from the B gates if you arrive there.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If you time a HEx right, then I suspect going landside in T3 and taking the HEx to T5 is quicker. The T3 EU immigration queue is generally smaller than the T5 EU immigration queue.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Genius1
If you time a HEx right, then I suspect going landside in T3 and taking the HEx to T5 is quicker. The T3 EU immigration queue is generally smaller than the T5 EU immigration queue.
I've been wondering about this, have a T3-T5 connection coming up after a TATL overnight, and was thinking that the showers in the AA arrivals lounge might be quicker than trying to get a shower in T5. Have a 2h45 connecting time, will see how on time the incoming flight is. Could avoid T5 conformance too...decisions, decisions...

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Also please note that you can catch the transfer bus directly from the B gates if you arrive there.
Yes, but not for a T3 arrival
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Could avoid T5 conformance too
You won't avoid conformance - it applies in the T5 Flight Connections Centre too, albeit with more flexibility.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Interesting - maybe next time I see a crazy immigration queue at T5 I should hop across to T3. More frequent tube service there too (although longer walk to platform I think)
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Interesting - maybe next time I see a crazy immigration queue at T5 I should hop across to T3. More frequent tube service there too (although longer walk to platform I think)
Yes, this is something I have done for a while, it was even better when T1 was still with us since there were never queues there. Only works if HBO, and the bus shuttle stops late in the evening, when there can be queues at the T5 Border. You are correct that it is a bit of a hike to the tube from T3, and indeed HEX too. But particularly if you are staying at a Bath Road hotel, and therefore looking to use the Heathrow Central bus station, then this is a good way out of T5.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Genius1
You won't avoid conformance - it applies in the T5 Flight Connections Centre too, albeit with more flexibility.
Badly worded, I guess I meant I would avoid T5 connections security. If I go landside at T3, I won't however touch FCC in either terminal. Just the gauntlet of regular T5 security to be run...
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
I've been wondering about this, have a T3-T5 connection coming up after a TATL overnight, and was thinking that the showers in the AA arrivals lounge might be quicker than trying to get a shower in T5. Have a 2h45 connecting time, will see how on time the incoming flight is. Could avoid T5 conformance too...decisions, decisions...
I would probably go for the AArrivals lounge, was advised of a 2h30 wait for a shower at the south complex at T5 recently. Quite shameful really, telling passengers the next availability is a good hour after their flight has departed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.