FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR Terraces vs current Galleries (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1691327-lhr-terraces-vs-current-galleries.html)

Zalmistinks Jun 30, 2015 5:04 pm

Looked back for information about the actual spa offerings from Molton Brown but cant find that info. Anybody recall? I remember 30 minutes on an actual massage table in private room and also a stream shower.

Land-of-Miles Jun 30, 2015 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Zalmistinks (Post 25051020)
Looked back for information about the actual spa offerings from Molton Brown but cant find that info. Anybody recall? I remember 30 minutes on an actual massage table in private room and also a stream shower.

There were proper spa rooms with 30 minute treatments e.g. Back massage, leg massage, facial etc.

The spa rooms at JFK are very similar to the ones BA had at LHR. The steam shower was one of many other normal showers at T4 all better than any current T5 offering.

britsv Jun 30, 2015 10:08 pm

I was flying monthly in CW from LHR-SEA from 1997-99. Price was slightly cheaper SEA-LHR than the other way round, $6400 return towards the end of that period for SEA-LHR, 4800 pounds the other way. Of course tickets were fully flexible: no real choice on that. Today near full flexible tickets are similar adjusted for inflation (I've paid about $9000 the last few months for CW with $500 change fee, note now SFO-LHR not SEA) but fully flex is much more ($14000 for C class). On the other hand there are plenty of options to do much better ($3600 in the most recent sale).

The biggest difference is the flat beds. I think the food in the Flounge has improved too, don't remember anything much but sandwiches back then).
So overall I think things have improved a lot. Though I do look back fondly on my ~30% CW to F upgrade rate back then, when the proper bed was really something to enjoy.

CD747 Jul 22, 2015 3:48 pm

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I wonder if anyone remembers the introductory video (for the launch of the Terraces concept) which starred Loyd Grossman in one of his rather less glamorous spots.

It covered the various aesthetics, the big bowls of fruit on the counter, world wine bar etc - and was quite interesting in terms of getting a feel for the overall style and concept of the lounges.

I would have imagined it would have cropped up on YouTube since then, but apparently not!

francismc Jul 30, 2015 4:35 am

LHR Terraces vs current Galleries

I remember that the Birmingham lounge had some deck chairs style chairs; a water feature and piped birds sounds being played. Good old eurohub.

rather_be_on_a_griffin Jul 30, 2015 5:56 am

Since my serious BA flying days only kicked off in 2012 I can't manage much in the way of nostalgia but at least in Edinburgh the lounge trend has been universally positive. I still remember my first J flight from New York in 2002 and being shocked by how unimpressive the Admirals Club was. It hasn't changed a lot but I have recalibrated my expectations (enhanced them) and I'm quite fond of the place now, on domestics at least.