Search

LHR Terraces vs current Galleries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
That's a very strong assertion without any statistics

I believe that, in real terms, long haul premium air travel is cheaper now than it was previously.

There is some evidence that airfares have fallen by 50% between 1978 and 2013.

There's another article suggesting that the fare LON - NYC has fallen from $6,300 in the 1950s to $1,100 today (in today's money).

Have you any evidence to the contrary
Late 1990's to now is the comparison point though and that would be interesting given the effective monopoly of 3 airlines groupings across the Atlantic.

The showers in all of the lounges (including the current T3 lounges) are better than those in T5. The T5 showers are cheaply designed, installed and maintained. The previous T1 and T4 arrivals lounge showers were a quantum leap better than the current offering even if sometimes you have a short wait. The MB Spa showers in T4 were also significantly better than the current offering. I think even the CCR in T4 was better than what we have right now. Certainly the furnishing was of higher quality and better maintained.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ah the rose tinted spectacles!

Yes well the domestic T1 lounge was a great thing when I first started to use it, and the evidence of those chocolate covered flapjacks is still lies between me and the keyboard. I was a daily commuter for a few years and at the time I thought the Terrace lounges were great, and LGW had even better lounges!

But it was sometimes very hot in there, standing room only downstair, and often crowded upstairs too. Delays were endemic, making a poor quality travel experience, or so it seemed to me. Limited food, poor quality coffee, few powerpoints, very weak connectivity (reduced to using the Rabbit system installed over WH Smith for a few years).

To go from that to Flounge / CCR for the same NCL/EDI flights was a huge, overwhelming step up from my perspective. Hot food all day long, plenty of it, vast range of seats, decent coffee, lots more soft drinks, power points (I know we moan but T1 wasn't good), space, wifi and computers that vaguely work, the list goes on.

What people seem to forget is the massive influx of status passengers. In the old days I was typically the only status passenger to NCL, maybe another silver or Gold, that never happens now. EDI was always more status rich, but it's not unusual to have half the aircraft with status. The old lounges would never have coped with that.

The only big thing retrograde is the bathrooms, with the individual cabins rather than the more traditional mass use set-up in T1. I can see they wanted to improve the privacy but I don't think it worked, at least for the male gender.
This post is almost word-for-word what I was going to write ^.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
The Terraces concept was revolutionary at the time it was introduced, and served BA well over the years. Unfortunately however, it would just not cope in the current BA era, LGW being a prime example of this.

The downfall of the Galleries product is generally speaking the crowding and over usage per sq metre of lounge space. For me, the product works the majority of the time, although I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement. Hopefully the refurbishments will help as are long overdue, and in addition, the new club changes may perhaps lighten the load slightly over time. A family of 4 wouldn't usually live in a house without giving any form of updating/TLC for 8 years would they, never mind the half million plus people per month that pass through the T5 lounges.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Zalmistinks
Nonsense, your completely wrong,
Well you're not the first person to say that to me...no doubt you won't be the last.

I can only give an opinion on the merits of the T4 CCR over the T5 CCR on one visit to each and my impression was the T5 CCR was far and away superior to the T4 facility in terms of ambience, service and offerings.
You have to remember the dining room in the T4 CCR wasn't open to everyone and was only open at certain times of the day. Even then entry was strictly monitored and you had to have a voucher to get in.

Also worth noting....when looking through older threads on the T4 CCR you will find scathing posts about the facility back then especially regarding the quality of food and service even from the same people who complain about the T5 CCR today....seems unlike lounges some people will never change.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Well you're not the first person to say that to me...no doubt you won't be the last.

I can only give an opinion on the merits of the T4 CCR over the T5 CCR on one visit to each and my impression was the T5 CCR was far and away superior to the T4 facility in terms of ambience, service and offerings.
You have to remember the dining room in the T4 CCR wasn't open to everyone and was only open at certain times of the day. Even then entry was strictly monitored and you had to have a voucher to get in.

Also worth noting....when looking through older threads on the T4 CCR you will find scathing posts about the facility back then especially regarding the quality of food and service even from the same people who complain about the T5 CCR today....seems unlike lounges some people will never change.
Ha, the same has been said about me

Based on your recollections of the T4 CCR I went looking for some old travel photos and notes - indeed, brought me back to how limited the facility actually was compared to T5 CCR or even First lounge before "enhancements." I think what I was originally recalling was the quiet ambiance more than anything else. Maybe with age though I am just more sensitive to the ruckus going on around me
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Late 1990's to now is the comparison point though and that would be interesting given the effective monopoly of 3 airlines groupings across the Atlantic.

The showers in all of the lounges (including the current T3 lounges) are better than those in T5. The T5 showers are cheaply designed, installed and maintained. The previous T1 and T4 arrivals lounge showers were a quantum leap better than the current offering even if sometimes you have a short wait. The MB Spa showers in T4 were also significantly better than the current offering. I think even the CCR in T4 was better than what we have right now. Certainly the furnishing was of higher quality and better maintained.
Yup ^ those furnishings and spa shower rooms, not to mention Molton Brown products were really top notch. I recall actually spa treatments lasting 30 minutes! I haven't bothered with the Elmis treatments for years, what a joke in comparison.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Posted it before, but in a thread that was not that well frequented, so maybe I can please some (most likely not all).

Even though from the Daily Fail, some may find this article on how flying on BA changed since the Eighties interesting: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...-Eighties.html

EDIT : Redid the link. It wasn't working for me.

Last edited by henkybaby; Jun 30, 2015 at 9:26 am
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Posted it before, but in a thread that was not that well frequented, so maybe I can please some (most likely not all).

Even though from the Daily Fail, some may find this article on how flying on BA changed since the Eighties interesting: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...-Eighties.html
Great article thanks for posting ^
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'd love to see the hard statistics about how air fares have moved in the last 15 years - if that's even possible given different route structures and competitive positions. My impression is that much of the fall in air fares on long haul came in the years following the introduction of the 747, and the rate of decline had slowed by 1999. I started flying TATL monthly in about 2006 and economy fares have certainly increased since then in absolute terms and by significantly more than the APD. However, it's my impression that it's easier to find cheap C fares more often. By contrast, I feel that fares to the ME area, and connecting points have fallen - the result of huge increases in capacity.

As to short haul, clearly fares have fallen dramatically, with an entirely different competitive landscape.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Zalmistinks
Nonsense, your completely wrong, premium and economy air travel is now more expensive than in the past two decades. Also, I recall that BA has had flat seats since seats the 90's.
I think for people of HIDDY's and my ages, the concept of the 1990s being the "old days" is a little alien - we go back rather longer than that, to APEX fares, no flat beds, basic facilities, although better food in first class.

The 1990s probably were a "golden age" of air travel for us: cheap fares (remember the £199 returns to New York?) and Executive Club lounges with Molton Brown proper massages. Decent Bordeaux in Club World and very good wine indeed (still) in First. Happy days, before governments started hammering us with departure taxes and the BA bean-counters started bean-counting in earnest - cheap fixtures and fittings in T5, poorer quality wine in the lounges and in the air, etc.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAAZ
cheap fares (remember the £199 returns to New York?)
You can still get return fares to JFK for £380, and indeed there are WT returns for £260 out there, which is massively cheaper in real terms.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
You can still get return fares to JFK for £380, and indeed there are WT returns for £260 out there, which is massively cheaper in real terms.
London to New York for £260 return in 2015? Wow. That is good value.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAAZ
London to New York for £260 return in 2015? Wow. That is good value.
OK, it's the 3 Norwegian airports - LHR - JFK and back for that. Can also be something like SVG-LHR-JFK-YYZ-LHR-SVG. Not exactly a TP earner these days, but a lot of flying for very little money.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

OK, it's the 3 Norwegian airports - LHR - JFK and back for that. Can also be something like SVG-LHR-JFK-YYZ-LHR-SVG. Not exactly a TP earner these days, but a lot of flying for very little money.
I used to regularly buy nonstop on UA, AA, BA, etc to European cities for my grandchildren and other relatives throughout the 2000's for $500 USD or less, many BOS or NYC to LHR for under around $350 all in. Also sending many grandchildren to Israel and Asia gateways during this time period for less than $600. Coach of course.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Pretty sure you could search back to the opening of T5 and find a thread where we all said how much better or worse the lounge complex was .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.