Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
Upgraded July 19, WTP to CW, LHR-JFK, last flight of the day. Found out when I checked in at the gate for SSSS treatment! (I had requested a vegetarian meal in WTP so got that served to me, with CW starter and dessert). I am bronze.
CMK10 and PETER01 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Upgraded 19 July, LHR to Boston, CW-F. I noticed the seat change in the app after arriving st Heathrow and headed straight to the Concorde Room!

This was originally a WTP booking ex-EU, upgraded to CW with a GUF2 and we were both upgraded. Very happy with this!
CMK10 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Got UG on BA 32 last week W to J. Flight was wide open one week out but they seemed to have filled Y late with school parties. I had tried to UG without success for baggage so beep at gate whilst welcome was of limited value. Mrs was stuck in Y on a one way Avios redemption! Fabulous crew - sorry I couldn't report on the new W amenities and food as promised in that thread.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver
Upgraded today WT to WT+ on the BA179 from LHR to JFK. Noticed it on the app after arriving from ABZ. Also got the premium transfer car to the gate as the Aberdeen flight was 2 hour late leaving s tight connection.
YacozA and alex67500 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:43 am

Flub'd on LHR-BWI today (4-class 777 rather than usual 788), with Mrs CKBA - actually took a lot of proactivenrss to get CW-Flub, but worthwhile. :-).
(odd mix of F and CW bits...)
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Emirates, Etihad
Got a J-F upgrade on BA 105 LHR-DXB on 17/7. First time sent to the front on an opup. Very pleased indeed.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:08 pm

Long time lurker (even longer than my join date would suggest!) with a happy upgrade story here.

Upgraded from WT to WTP on BA 207 on Wednesday despite being a lowly bronze, booked on an AA ticket (flight booked as AA6160) through Expedia!

Didn’t OLCI (after this ‘tactic’ resulted in getting me an upgrade from Y to J on a QR DOH-DPS flight earlier this year) and noticed my mobile BP change as I was sitting in departures. More than made up for being on the old Negus 52J 747!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
What's the tactic? Check in as late as possible at the airport?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:55 am

Upgraded on BA225 from WT to WT+ just prior to boarding. I checked in to lounge about 45 mins before departure time and no upgrade at that point, then I checked in app just before I left for gate and noticed I had been upgraded

A welcome upgrade on a 9 hour flight!
CMK10 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:37 am

Wasn’t some rapper upgraded the other day to F?
Mordac likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:50 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sr0175
Didn’t OLCI (after this ‘tactic’ resulted in getting me an upgrade from Y to J on a QR DOH-DPS flight earlier this year)
Always happy to see more posters

There is an oft quoted saying that "correlation doesn't imply causation". That way lies cargo cults.

I'm not sure that not using OLCI increases your chance of an upgrade.
I am sure that it increases your chance of getting a middle seat
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by watersign
What's the tactic? Check in as late as possible at the airport?
I don't think there's any one strategy. I got one this year and it was given to me at T-24 when check in for the flight opened.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just refreshed app to see WT+ turn to CW on today’s BA213 LHR-BOS! Lower Deck but shouldn’t grumble.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
Well it wasn't this week, but was two weeks ago.

Flying to PIT on the BA171, booked in WT+ but was upgraded to CW in 2B about 30mins before boarding.

After takeoff the noticed the gentleman in 1b was struggling with his seat. I already knew he had a bad back after recent surgery. from overhearing his converstations with fellow passengers during board.
The seat couldn't be moved electrically and the crew offered to put in bed position. I moved out of the way from 2b to give them more access to the mechanics behind the foot stool
After lots of struggling it was obvious the seat was stuck and wouldn't move. A quick scan of the cabin revealed CW was 100% full with no seats for him to move to.

Noticing how he was struggling with his back, I offered my seat to him via the crew, for which both the crew and Mr 1B were very grateful.
I was happy enough as I was only in club after a last-minute opup. Even in the takeoff position with the footrest it was still better than my original wt+ seat.

Later in the flight the cabin director thanked me again and arranged for 10000 Avios. It wasn't the reason I offered my seat but I was thankful for the gesture.
Jed, CMK10, geo1005 and 13 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by PantsFlyer
Well it wasn't this week, but was two weeks ago.

Flying to PIT on the BA171, booked in WT+ but was upgraded to CW in 2B about 30mins before boarding.

After takeoff the noticed the gentleman in 1b was struggling with his seat. I already knew he had a bad back after recent surgery. from overhearing his converstations with fellow passengers during board.
The seat couldn't be moved electrically and the crew offered to put in bed position. I moved out of the way from 2b to give them more access to the mechanics behind the foot stool
After lots of struggling it was obvious the seat was stuck and wouldn't move. A quick scan of the cabin revealed CW was 100% full with no seats for him to move to.

Noticing how he was struggling with his back, I offered my seat to him via the crew, for which both the crew and Mr 1B were very grateful.
I was happy enough as I was only in club after a last-minute opup. Even in the takeoff position with the footrest it was still better than my original wt+ seat.

Later in the flight the cabin director thanked me again and arranged for 10000 Avios. It wasn't the reason I offered my seat but I was thankful for the gesture.
I would have done exactly the same so well done mate!
geo1005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.