Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:03 am

After doors closed on BA4971, cabin crew handed me a boarding pass. I was confused what was going on and she could tell, so she pointed out it was complimentary.

I was still confused thinking it was a voucher for a free drink or something (AA service) so she explained it was a complimentary upgrade to business class. Passenger next to me laughed at the rather large smile which appeared on my face as I collected my luggage and moved up the plane
flyerkit likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Just boarded the (full) LHR - CDG flight, having previously booked into 10F (economy exit row) seeing as there was no UUA availability in CE.

Double beep at the gate and I’m now in CE. Whilst I do love a free upgrade, there was significantly more legroom in my emergency exit seat than there is in row 3 😀
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Tredders
Just boarded the (full) LHR - CDG flight, having previously booked into 10F (economy exit row) seeing as there was no UUA availability in CE.

Double beep at the gate and I’m now in CE. Whilst I do love a free upgrade, there was significantly more legroom in my emergency exit seat than there is in row 3 😀
You could have asked the gate agent to reassign you back to your original seat, and give the "upgrade" to some other unsuspecting passenger. I have done this a number of times, and only been denied twice I think to be moved back - I do normally try to do this in the lounge before getting to the gate, however, but not always possible.
Tredders likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
WT --> WTP on JFK to LHR for silver and blue traveling together.
Second op-up, first was domestic 18 months ago.
Really impressed with the comfy seat WTP on the super high J 747. The sales pitch might have worked...
Wasn't entirely unexpected as there was quite a lot of emails giving offers for upgrade at £220/pax. Errrrrr no.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
First operational upgrade ever on BA yesterday after seven or eight years of occasional flying (3-4 transatlantic round trips a year). Club World upper deck on the 744 to First on LHR-MIA. Beep at the gate. Wonderful crew with great service, good food, four glasses of LPGS. Priority luggage even came out first. Kudos to BA for a super job on their end of things. Unfortunately, AA then had their connection go tech after we had already boarded leading to a three hour delay to my final destination. Win some, loose some.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Upgraded SFO - LHR from WTP -> J.

First long haul upgrade in a long time (probably 3 years+) and the most welcome being a 10 hour over-nighter. Ended up in 21B (Aisle) which is my first time at the very rear of a refurb'd 747. Given that I always pick a window and would pick upper deck I can only say the seat is a bit open (by door 3) and exposed but at least no one comes down your way (except the crew). Anyway, was not complaining and would have been happy with a center seat. Had the salmon starter and the beef (both acceptable), watched Bros the movie (surprisingly OK given I couldn't stand the group in the 80's), 5 hours kip and a short while before landing! Definitely a thank you to BA!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
5 pax upgrade

Travelling GLA-SFO today, dropped baggage at GLA and asked counter attendant to print BPs for us as my home printer is out of use at the moment.

Didn't pay any attention to the BPs that were handed over until we were through security - then saw that all 5 of us (myself, Mrs TF and 3 kids) had been moved from WT to WTP

Never expected this in a month of Sundays, but I'll take it any day!!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
MIA-LHR J-F arrived at gate following tight connection (mechanical delay AA 767) with AA boarding pass. Got to my original seat (64K) someone already sat there. Helpful Cabin crew moved passenger already in my original to another seat. Sat for approx 10 mins happy that I made my connection before another cabin crew member told me I am being moved ‘downstairs ‘ - moved to 5A. I was told that they had been paging me at the gate - but I think I boarded too quickly for them. They mentioned upgrade due to service recovery - this is interesting as I have not made any complaints recently.
However I do wonder if I moved the ‘new occupier’ out of 64K - I was getting strange looks.
Good flight and over 7 hours sleep. I do like the new canapés and starters on the menu. No main course but desert was very nice.
Slept through breakfast and a nice shower at the AA Arrival lounge!
Also the plane had the Negus livery - that makes 2 out of three I have flown on - other being the BOAC - still to catch the Landor. Has anyone flown on all three 747 centennial liveries?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
ME! Just now on positioning flight to AMS! Would rather it J-F on tomorrows flight though
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Was in a bulkhead/bassinet in economy on 77W to JFK recently, in 28J. 28K was a mum and lap-infant about a year old. As boarding was underway one of the crew came to see about belts etc, and asked if we were travelling together. Seeing that 28EF were still unoccupied the cc asked if I'd mind moving to give mum a bit more space and I said that was no problem at all. As boarding still underway she quickly nipped off to check that 28F wasn't occupied. Once back she indicated it was a go so I started to get up and move and then instead she pointed at row 26, i.e.the rear row of WTP. So I ended up in 26G with F unoccupied, had the WTP service and a really rather good and unexpected flight. Does not happen often but that makes it all the nicer.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:46 am

Family upgraded to PE on AA codeshare

Arrived at the gate in T3 to find all 4 upgraded to PE (2 BA gold and 2 kids blue) but scattered through the cabin! Luckily gate agent managed to get 2 kids sat next to one of us ^ Great surprise but was a bit shocked by the fact they’d let kids (3 & 6) sit alone??

Also had one CE upgrade on domestic connection
flyerkit and DeathSlam like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
My travelling buddy and myself (OWS and OWE from AY+ respectively) were booked in to J on LHR-MIA few days ago. When we boarded, both our boarding passes beeped simultaneously for seat error. Some typing by the agent, and the most beautiful sentence in the world: "Sir, you've been upgraded to First!". So from 62JK to 5EF. Had a great flight with good crew and excellent meals and wines but extremely underwhelming IFE, with only 15 movies available and very limited selection sitcoms (type Curb Your Enthusiasm S1 and Absolutely Fabulous... ) on a grainy screen.
Tobias-UK and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:50 pm

Myself and Mrs endo look like having scored a J-F upgrade from PHX-LHR. Seats have changed on the app. Mrs Endo has a pre ordered VGML so that hasn’t counted against her. As we have a 4 hour connection at LHR this will mean not only our first first, but our first CCR visit when we land.
flyerkit and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by endoman; Jul 2, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
BA 2039 LGW-MCO on Monday July 1st, OWE on a WT ticket.

- June 25: BA sends me a text saying due to an aircraft swap (not sure what, it was a 777 and stayed one) they were offering me a change to the earlier departing BA 2037 or any LGW-MCO flight June 30 to July 2nd
- June 29: BA sends me a text saying now I can move to the earlier flight or a different day and be placed in WTP.
- ~25 hours before the flight: BA upgraded me to CW.

I wasn't expecting this as a non-BA elite but I'll take it!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
A long-shot, but is anyone able to say what the chances of an OPUP on BA63 (LHR-SEZ) this Saturday are looking like? I'm currently booked into W and am a Bronze.

Many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.