Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:38 am

On way to LHR now to join BA295, with free upgrade from WTP to CW.

Checked WTP cabin seat map on BA site a week ago, and was showing full. So I was hopeful, but not expectant.

This good news is easing my hangover slightly, knowing I'll be horizontal for 8 hours instead of upright.

Thanks, BA!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Does picking your seat or checking in early affect your chances of upgrade at all?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
Missed my connection to EDI after a late arrival into FRA on LH. Got rebooked via London on BA in CE. So additional 80TPs and €250 too. OK, not an upgrade - but I had to tell someone as my wife didn't care.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tomparskate
Does picking your seat or checking in early affect your chances of upgrade at all?
The usual advice around here is that checking in early increases your chance of an opup as BA know you definitely intend to travel.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
WTP to CW

Got my first OP upgrade flying on BA226 (ATL-LHR) last night from WTP to CW. It was a nice surprise given that i was very close to missing the flight due to a late landing connection from DFW (didnt even pick it up until i saw that my original seat was taken in WTP!) Done quite a bit of flying this year in W and am only 150 TP's away from GCH. Hoping to 'need' another trip in W to the US in December to take me over the line but not certain yet. May end up needing to decide whether funding a 160TP flight is worth it to make gold for next year before my year ends in Dec. Hoping I don't need to have that conversation with OH.... lot of travel planned to US next year so probs worth it for GF and first check in.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Sorry, out of excitement I started a separate thread. New to BA Gold and was given a free J-to-F upgrade on BA 213 (744 LHR-BOS) today.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
Sorry, out of excitement I started a separate thread. New to BA Gold and was given a free J-to-F upgrade on BA 213 (744 LHR-BOS) today.
Well done. Long haul upgrades are always a nice surprise
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by KARFA
Well done. Long haul upgrades are always a nice surprise
The problem is that flying BA F reminds me how deficient their J product has become.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

The problem is that flying BA F reminds me how deficient their J product has become.
Disagreeing re: the bedding and storage at least, from 3A on a 747 to LAX that started out as 62A. Even yesterday there was a free seat next to me...

Dine on demand will really help my sleep patterns though.

(Edit: originally read that as ‘decent’ and not ‘deficient’ hence heavy editing).
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
I must say, I used to frequently get J to F upgrades but haven’t now for two years or so. I think they have got so good at selling these that free op ups are now far less frequent. No complaints: they are squeezing more ŁŁ out of flights than before. I do consciously use BA less for long haul now and use a variety of other OW carriers as the reasonable frequency of upgrades used to keep me loyal but in the absence of that incentive, I prefer to diversify
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Upgraded yesterday from ET to row 1 of CE on a completely full and noisy BA0988 (LHR-TXL), and it was underwhelming. Meagre tomato and mozzarella salad and the tiniest, runniest banoffee pie I have ever encountered. It reinforced my feeling that I am doing the right thing by flying this route in ET every week.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AB Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Got upgraded from CW to First on BA257.
It was an Iberia booking with Avios.

Im very happy
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Misco60
Upgraded yesterday from ET to row 1 of CE on a completely full and noisy BA0988 (LHR-TXL), and it was underwhelming. Meagre tomato and mozzarella salad and the tiniest, runniest banoffee pie I have ever encountered. It reinforced my feeling that I am doing the right thing by flying this route in ET every week.
zzzzzzzzzzz
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)

F is much better than J, anyone that says otherwise is dilusional. It’s miles better in all ways, whether you can justify a few extra quid is personal opinion.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
....although I note fare differrences between WT+/J/F for IAD-LHR-SIN-SYD (rtn) were all around $9k in April 2019 - F was perhaps $200 more than J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.