Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just got upgraded from Y to "J" on BA6274, WDH to JNB. No status on BA, but OWE. This is actually my first Op-Up, ever. I was in such a good mood that I paid it forward. While waiting to get into the lounge in Windhoek with my PP (that comes with +2 privileges), there was a party of four discussing paying the $29 pp to get in. I simply guested two of them in, and saved them 50%.
FEMW and TWCLAM like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Had an unusual Theoretical Seating-linked upgrade last week where I was very kindly moved from WT to WT+ 3 hours into a 13 hour flight. An unruly family decided to spread their numerous young children all over the cabin - first lying on the floor, then curled up across the seats, seemingly on the grounds that they didn't find the bassinets comfortable enough. A patient but increasingly frustrated cabin crew member did very well trying to manage the situation. After a couple of hours of this nonsense, one of the family members then decided to assertively plonk herself down in the middle seat next to me that was free, so that their baby could lie flat on her seat. The same crew member quietly observed to me that this seat should be kept free on the grounds of my status and that he would endeavour to find me a more comfortable seat elsewhere. A whole row to myself in WT+ as the lights went down was very much appreciated, but the back row of 3 seats on the A380 that bisects the toilets has little going for it otherwise.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire
Got upgraded from CW to F on BA182 JFK-LHR. When I checked in, there were 13 empty seats and the agent said Y wasn't over sold. Got the magic beep during the boarding process!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
How do you refuse the upgrade? I wanted an exit row so that’s what I booked. Instead the “upgrade” means less legroom in a worse seat. EDI-LGW operated by Titan
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by Sparky_
How do you refuse the upgrade? I wanted an exit row so that’s what I booked. Instead the “upgrade” means less legroom in a worse seat. EDI-LGW operated by Titan
Call BA and ask them to add a remark to your PNR. Unfortunately, they can't attach it to passengers' profiles, you have to to call every time you book.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
BA 080 MCT - LHR. Upgraded from Prem Y to CW. Presume due to equipment changed for 787-8 to -9. This was for myself +2
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:41 am

Pleasantly surprised to receive an op-up from J to 1K on BA6 (NRT-LHR) earlier this week. I'm BA Gold and it was my first op-up in about three years of fairly regular travel.

It's been a while since I've flown F on one of the 789s, and was surprised at the state of some of the furnishings. There was a lot of scuffing and in my suite, the little cupboard (between the suite and the window) was completely missing its door. I might have been a bit taken aback if I'd paid for F, but in the circumstances I was very happy to sit back and enjoy the LPGS for a 12 hour day flight...!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:48 am

I got an opup from WTP to Club on the BA57 on 9th September (the late flight LHR-JNB). The earlier BA55 was delayed until 1000 the next day which I am sure had a lot to do with it, although I am also BAEC Gold.

The service was a bit chaotic TBH e.g. nothing to drink before takeoff, but I expect there was a lot of stress behind the scenes. On approach to JNB neither my seat (21G) nor my neighbour's (21F) would return to the takeoff/landing position, stubbornly remaining flat despite the best efforts of crew. The two of us were placed on the crew jumpseats at the top of the stairs for landing, which was a new experience for me!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Sparky_
I've had a gate-UP to CE and politely asked if they could "find someone else" as, like you. I like my exit row ET and find it superior to CE.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
I got upgraded Y > J on yesterday's BA208 from Miami to Heathrow, I think the plane got changed from the low J to high J config. I checked in online at T-24 and was given a normal Y boarding pass with my pre reserved emergency exit seat, on the day of the flight I noticed in the app I 'd been moved to something like 52A so I went to the check-in desk at the airport to see if they could change my seat and they said I'd been upgraded to J
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:33 am

Exit row to Row 2 on a 319 from LGW to Seville SVQ earlier this week. New boarding pass printed at LGW checkin; nothing said and noticed on my way to the lounge.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
So got an upgrade tonight JFK to LHR CW to F which is not unusual given how busy the flights normally are. However what makes this unusual is this is the first flight I have ever ordered a special meal for and therefore presumed this took me out of the running for an upgrade. Is CW to F therefore not usually effected by the special meal request or have I just got lucky? Sixth upgrade this year so clearly CIV score does matter quite a lot for this being both GGL and GfL.

Although only sour note tonight is that I have been moved from 64A to 4E so doesn’t feel as much of an upgrade as it probably should!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by womble88
So got an upgrade tonight JFK to LHR CW to F which is not unusual given how busy the flights normally are. However what makes this unusual is this is the first flight I have ever ordered a special meal for and therefore presumed this took me out of the running for an upgrade. Is CW to F therefore not usually effected by the special meal request or have I just got lucky? Sixth upgrade this year so clearly CIV score does matter quite a lot for this being both GGL and GfL.

Although only sour note tonight is that I have been moved from 64A to 4E so doesn’t feel as much of an upgrade as it probably should!
Special meals no longer count agauaga you for upgrades.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
First time OPUP in about three years. Just got off BA57 LHR to JNB. Had the beep at the gate, and my pulse went up. Only the agent then said to me "you're in an emergency exit row, can you confirm you're capable?" (or something similar). Except I wasn't - I was in an centre aisle seat in WTP. Pulse deflated and continued to board. As I got on the plane and approached my seat, saw there was already someone sitting there. Politely saying that he may be in my seat as I showed my boarding pass, he pulled his which had the same seat number printed. Off we trot to enquire from the cabin crew to be told that I'd been upgraded to Club. Off I trot to my centre snug seat, and settle in. Take off and after three headsets and three reboots of the IFE we gave it up as a bad job. I then got "hot swapped" with someone else in CW - a member of staff apparently, who looked a bit peeved at being shifted to a seat with a faulty IFE. Another centre snug seat, but the last row of CW on the main deck of the 747, so bulkhead - nice privacy and no climbing over anyone to get to the aisle.

A full flight, but excellent service from the crew throughout.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Not sure if this counts as a "real" upgrade, but travelling back to EDI from LHR the other day, boarded the plane and noticed the registration on the tail: G-MEDJ. Why does that sound familiar to me? is that the one that's missing a window?

We're flying 1D/1F get on board and suddenly it's clear - it's a midhaul! Lovely. Lethal tray tables tho....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.