Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yesterday on the delayed 179- 18.05, LHR-JFK.

Was checking the app a lot to watch updates to the delay as it started showing ‘delayed’ T-24 out and was continuously changing, sometimes it would get worse, sometimes better. In the midst of this I went from 26H to 22J. I’m a pretty regular Y traveller and have to say, that newer WTP seat does make a big difference for me. I’m 6ft 3 and I really appreciated the extra space. Was in paid WTP a few weeks before on the same route and it was the older one, which frankly pales in comparison I find.

On the subject, a good friend of mine, very high status, GGL etc was flying from LHR-NYC (not sure if Newark or JFK) about a month and a half ago. Amazingly his kids (12 and 14) got upgraded but him, his wife and his eldest daughter (23) didn’t! From WTP-CW. Apparently WTP not even full. A curious one that

Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Upgraded on BA 69. LHR-PHL 789 yesterday 20th July. Great service crew were very and food quite good especially desert. First time I have been in F on the 789 I thought the seat is a good improvement on 747/777. More space and storage and a nice big screen. Not travelled much in last two years but LTG but this is my 8 trip this year and my second J to F upgrade so pleasant surprise why I was selected. Interestingly 1A was blocked not sure this route requires a flight crew seat.
overall a very nice flight and 789 is my preferred F - not been F on the A380 - that comes next month .
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
BA429 AMS-LHR yesterday morning ET to CE, my first proper automatic upgrade, I'm pretty sure due to a very full flight. I was on a back to back, checking to see if seat next to me was blocked on Expert Flyer noticed both ET and CE were full. Then went to the BA app and see the seat change from 12K to 3A. Beep at the gate and new boarding pass, no one said anything about no catering but I declined food anyway as had just eaten breakfast on the way over in CE. I'm glad it put me in an aisle seat in the middle so I had no-one next to me (767).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:27 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
LHR-AUH CW-F yesterday for both my wife and myself. We had booked WTP and UUA to CW, so the upgrade to F was unexpected and most appreciated. Notably, we were on separate booking references.
F originally had just 1 passenger booked but the oversales from lower cabins meant F suddenly filled to 8/8 on the 789 around 1 hr before departure and we noted our seat changes. Got new BPs from the front desk in GF and nipped into the CCR for a quick glass of LPGS to celebrate before boarding.
Our first ever upgrade on BA^
BerksFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jed
LHR-AUH CW-F yesterday for both my wife and myself. We had booked WTP and UUA to CW, so the upgrade to F was unexpected and most appreciated. Notably, we were on separate booking references.
F originally had just 1 passenger booked but the oversales from lower cabins meant F suddenly filled to 8/8 on the 789 around 1 hr before departure and we noted our seat changes. Got new BPs from the front desk in GF and nipped into the CCR for a quick glass of LPGS to celebrate before boarding.
Our first ever upgrade on BA^
Thats awesome! Surely a computer didn't pull you and your wife on when you're both on separate bookings. Great result.

I would love this to happen to me and my wife in October when we fly to and from Jberg.

We have both achieved silver this year for the first time and we're flying in CW for the second time in 6 months. They might want to give us a taste for the F seat. I hope so lol.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:25 pm

JFK - LHR last night, upgraded from WTP to CW. Much appreciated as I was travelling back due to a family illness, and was dreading trying to sleep in a WTP seat. WTP wasn’t close to being full, so it’s nice to know BA value my loyalty at least somewhat!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:25 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by eugegall
Thats awesome! Surely a computer didn't pull you and your wife on when you're both on separate bookings. Great result.

I would love this to happen to me and my wife in October when we fly to and from Jberg.

We have both achieved silver this year for the first time and we're flying in CW for the second time in 6 months. They might want to give us a taste for the F seat. I hope so lol.

Best of luck!
It restored our faith that BA does occasionally prioritise by status (we both have gold). Saw a few gold tags on bags of the 5 other upgraded passengers too so on that particular flight, it all worked in our favour.
We weren't with the children this time. I think an infant in the booking pretty much zeroes the chance of an op up. Luckily ours will be two soon!
eugegall likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:55 am

WTP to CW on the 167 last night into TLV. WTP cabin was completely full at departure, likely explaining the upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
LHR to GLA on the 21:35 - Flight was rammed and at least 4/5 others were also upgraded
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold Member
LHR-CPT this evening. Myself and partner moved from our favourite row 62 seats and moved to row 5. Initially I thought they'd simply moved us downstairs to accommodate another request, but thankfully the lovely agent in the lounge printed out our new BPs. First time I've ever had an op-up! Maybe having reached gold this year has made a difference? Looking forward to the LPGS!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
PRG-ZRH Sichuan Airlines on their new fifth freedom flight. What a nice flight but very short and the business class is not worth it
(thanks to staff at the gate from the Sichuan Airlines)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:13 am

BA081 LHR-ACC tomorrow, opened the app for a quick check, full fare Y to CW and put in 64K.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
subsea.

Some times I look at these threads in astonishment. That upgrade and seat selection is just NOT fair! Pure jealousy on my part.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
On a 2 for 1 Avios redemption on the BA31 LHR to HKG - upgrade from WTP to CW showed when checking in online. Especially happy as I had wanted to get CW / F seats because I’m flying with a family member for a special occasion, but there wasn’t any redemption availability when I booked.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:59 pm

Ah, upgrades, but alas, just a fading memory now... . I seem to recall some hazy warm feeling of being valued, if not 'special', but no more... .

(10 months, 100k+ miles, 43 sectors, nothing...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.