Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
LGW-UVF on an I class club world ticket upgraded to F on a family holiday so that me and my brother can join the rest of our family.

Great job BA!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:26 am

Another ET-CE upgrade negotiated back to an ET exit seat. LHR-ZRH BA718.

BA - stop 'upgrading' me on shorthaul to an inferior seat!

However I was sitting in the gate area waiting for the priority boarders to clear out, and I was paged to the podium to receive my new BP and was allowed to pre-board much to the protestations of the Group 1 queue. Would that be classified as Group 0? I got a few dirty looks from the Goldies when they boarded.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Flying on the early LHR-MAD last week, I was approached in 7K (second row of ET on a curtain-less 767) by the CSD after takeoff and invited to move forward to 3K.

The CSD had noticed I was sitting amongst a school party in a completely full ET cabin and had wanted me 'to enjoy a more comfortable journey'. I got the full CE service.

A really nice gesture, and a perfect opportunity to dispense this year's Golden Ticket.
dcmike, Great_circle and TWCLAM like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:02 pm

On BA285 (LHR-SFO), I was in 42D, an aisle towards the front of the WT cabin on the 86J 744. Before departure I was approached by a flight attendant asking me to move "a few rows back" so that two young ladies could sit together. I moved back to 52D and didn't complain, but I was not happy.

After takeoff, the same flight attendant came back and asked me if I'd like to move to 40E, a bulkhead seat but a middle, which I declined. Then the pax in 52C complained his seat wouldn't recline. The flight attendant then offered to move me to 33B in WTP, and have the gent in 52C move to my seat. I happily accepted.

I received the full WTP service but had the last selection on meals, which I thought was fair.

Overall, quite well handled by BA.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Genius1
Flying on the early LHR-MAD last week, I was approached in 7K (second row of ET on a curtain-less 767) by the CSD after takeoff and invited to move forward to 3K.

The CSD had noticed I was sitting amongst a school party in a completely full ET cabin and had wanted me 'to enjoy a more comfortable journey'. I got the full CE service.

A really nice gesture, and a perfect opportunity to dispense this year's Golden Ticket.
This is a good piece of customer service . I once had the same (slightly different reasons) but basically a CSD took pity on me, and even used the same words! I wonder if it was the same staff member. She got a golden ticket from me I think as well.
haroon145 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver
Last night on on the flight back to LHR from Berlin I was upgraded from ET to CE at the gate just prior to boarding. What was interesting is that I am a bronze and my travelling companion was a gold (no complaints from him as he had the exit row seats which he prefers). I was not complaining, but I do wonder how the computer algorithm would select a bronze member over a gold (we were on the same booking).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by dgreen678
Last night on on the flight back to LHR from Berlin I was upgraded from ET to CE at the gate just prior to boarding. What was interesting is that I am a bronze and my travelling companion was a gold (no complaints from him as he had the exit row seats which he prefers). I was not complaining, but I do wonder how the computer algorithm would select a bronze member over a gold (we were on the same booking).
Haven't you answered your own question.

Companion is Gold, you are Bronze, BA wants you to be Gold by being loyal so delivers a nice OP UP
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Upgraded again on the 2158 returning from UVF to LGW from Club to First. What was interesting was both myself and my brother on one booking (Silver and Blue on an I class ticket) and my mother and my sister on a separate booking (on a rewards ticket) received the upgrade. Superb service by the crew and very thankful to BA again!
haroon145 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
W->J on the BA285 on Saturday - not surprised as SFO flights at this time of the year are usually rammed, especially at the weekend. My colleague on the later BA287 that day was moved J->F.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:14 am

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Originally Posted by flyer200
Haven't you answered your own question.

Companion is Gold, you are Bronze, BA wants you to be Gold by being loyal so delivers a nice OP UP

Thats an interesting thought. What's worth more? A Gold who has shown high mileage and loyalty (and therefore likely to also be worth loyalty) or a Bronze who may/may not ever take more than enough flights for Bronze...

I think I'd aim to treat the Gold as well as possible, to make the Bronze think "man, I'd like to be Gold" rather than reward a potential non-starter and leave the high-mileage customer watching others being upgraded before him. I know most airlines keep their big flyers happy first, rather than speculate over "potential" new flyers - BA maybe trying a different approach...
annihilation likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer
BA maybe trying a different approach...
Exactly, and there's commercial sense in it: How much is in it for BA to stroke the ego of the passenger who will be a frequent flyer whether or not they get an upgrade?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer
Thats an interesting thought. What's worth more? A Gold who has shown high mileage and loyalty (and therefore likely to also be worth loyalty) or a Bronze who may/may not ever take more than enough flights for Bronze...

I think I'd aim to treat the Gold as well as possible, to make the Bronze think "man, I'd like to be Gold" rather than reward a potential non-starter and leave the high-mileage customer watching others being upgraded before him. I know most airlines keep their big flyers happy first, rather than speculate over "potential" new flyers - BA maybe trying a different approach...
BA are not really expecting an upgraded bronze to shoot for gold status due to free upgrade, but rather BA show a bronze the higher class (whether WTP/J/F upgrade) in the hope the bronze will enjoy the experience and thus buy the higher class sometimes in future.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Club to First on LHR >EWR on Sunday. Happens to first flight after crossing over 15000 life time tier points. Thanks BA and the service on the flight was superb!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver
Originally Posted by scubaccr
BA are not really expecting an upgraded bronze to shoot for gold status due to free upgrade, but rather BA show a bronze the higher class (whether WTP/J/F upgrade) in the hope the bronze will enjoy the experience and thus buy the higher class sometimes in future.
Some interesting opinions. Whilst I am well on the way to silver I am doing it the hard way (30 BA flights in the first 6 months of the Exec Club year) as all my travel is European in ET, so I suppose there is some logic in showing me what I am missing out on!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: British Airways
YVR-LHR, upgraded to First from CW.
ttama likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.