Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:02 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by annihilation
I am on flight 200+ (>50% in premium cabins and long haul) with BA and have had 1 upgrade in 5 years. Even was on a flight the other day which was full and the person in front who was blue got an upgrade and a few golds were still in economy. Must be some method in this madness.
Yes I too must have over 200 BA flights where I have not been booked in the highest available cabin and not been upgraded. Most of these flights have been as silver, gold, AA emerald or sapphire. I have not had a single BA upgrade and do take this into consideration when there is a choice of Oneworld airline on the route I am flying. On the other hand, I've had around 10 complimentary long haul op-upgrades with AA (2 J-F), 8 with CX (including 5 J-F) and even 1 J-F with QF. So my conclusion is that BA probably doesn't value my business, hence I generally only use them for flights to Europe and Abu Dhabi (QR embargo means I can't fly them). It then becomes somewhat of a mutual disrespect for each other's strategies
My experience is that you can be quietly confident of an op-up on AA or CX with OWE, but with BA, they will upgrade blues ahead of gold quite regularly. I am aware this works for them in apparently tempting those upgraded to buy the higher cabin next time. However, as a gold, it is frustrating and ultimately, is a factor in deciding my choice of airline.

Last edited by Jed; Mar 25, 2018 at 2:12 am
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:43 pm

The good doctor and I were op-upped at the gate from WT+ to CW on today’s BA 217 (LHR-IAD). The last-minute fully flex W fare was definitely a factor, as well as both of us recently retaining silver.

Last edited by edcaya; Mar 26, 2018 at 6:19 am Reason: typing while jetlagged
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by edcaya
The good doctor and I were op-upped at the gate from CW to WT on today’s BA 217 (LHR-IAD).

isn’t that more of an op-down??
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Got my first op-up from CW to F on LHR-TLV the other day. Based on the seat map, I think about 10 people got upgraded, since first went from only 2 seats taken to full in a couple of hours (and CW and WT+ were also full at the end).
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
isn’t that more of an op-down??
Right you are; edited to fix the prepositional phrase.
mike&co and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
It seems strange that they'd Op-Up an Avios award ticket in WT, when surely there were OWE's who paid for WTP.
Of course, we don't know how many people holding WT+ tickets were still sitting in WT+ seats when WT passengers began to be upgraded.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:32 am

Twice last week!
ET to CE on the first domestic leg of a 7 leg trip - no big deal.
Better still was a W -> J ex-BOS on the way home on Friday morning (BA238). My neighbour's seat had a defective screen and the CSD/M opted to move the neighbour to my seat and subsequently moved me upstairs into 64A :-)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by GeeMac
Twice last week!
ET to CE on the first domestic leg of a 7 leg trip - no big deal.
Better still was a W -> J ex-BOS on the way home on Friday morning (BA238). My neighbour's seat had a defective screen and the CSD/M opted to move the neighbour to my seat and subsequently moved me upstairs into 64A :-)
Out of curiosity, did your neighbour try to push for the upgrade, and CSD gave it to you instead? How did that conversation go about? “Sorry, can you move so that he can have a working Screen?” :-)
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:56 am

When I boarded, an engineer was trying to release the screen from the seat (12C, bulkhead row in WT+, 52J B744), but it wouldn't budge. I jokingly asked him not to try too hard, as it would mean the seat would likely remain empty! It looked like the WT+ cabin was full, although I couldn't be 100% sure.

A few minutes later (quite possibly near to the end of boarding) the passenger for 12C appeared, almost immediately followed by the CSD/M, who asked me in full earshot of Ms 12C, if I had "settled in". I kind of knew right away where this was headed and I replied, that I was comfortable enough. He said that he had a better seat for me and if I wouldn't mind, would I collect my things and move to the rear of the cabin and he would show me to my new seat.

As I collected my stuff from the O/H locker, he proceeded to explain to Ms 12C that her screen was not working and asked that she kindly move to 12A, which she agreed to (although she wasn't given any other choice, but I'd be sure she would have been pleased to have worked out that she would have an empty seat next to her).

When I got to the rear of the WT+ cabin, I cheekily asked the CSD/M if his next question was going to be "upstairs or downstairs", to which he replied, "your choice". 60A or 64A were the best choice available and upstairs I trotted to 64A.

Excellent service by the 2 upstairs crew, who needlessly apologised for the WT+ seat not working.

I guess it was easy for the CSD/M to switch Ms 12C to 12A and move me instead.
LondonCanuck and armouredant like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jed

Yes I too must have over 200 BA flights where I have not been booked in the highest available cabin and not been upgraded. Most of these flights have been as silver, gold, AA emerald or sapphire. I have not had a single BA upgrade and do take this into consideration when there is a choice of Oneworld airline on the route I am flying. On the other hand, I've had around 10 complimentary long haul op-upgrades with AA (2 J-F), 8 with CX (including 5 J-F) and even 1 J-F with QF. So my conclusion is that BA probably doesn't value my business, hence I generally only use them for flights to Europe and Abu Dhabi (QR embargo means I can't fly them). It then becomes somewhat of a mutual disrespect for each other's strategies
My experience is that you can be quietly confident of an op-up on AA or CX with OWE, but with BA, they will upgrade blues ahead of gold quite regularly. I am aware this works for them in apparently tempting those upgraded to buy the higher cabin next time. However, as a gold, it is frustrating and ultimately, is a factor in deciding my choice of airline.
They do indeed seem to upgrade those who may seem more vulnerable to temptation in preference to their best customers! I was very grateful for 2 long-haul upgrades WTP-CW within a couple of months shortly after attaining Silver but then nothing in 2 years since. Unfortunately the sneaky BA strategy worked perfectly on me and I am now certainly spending more on premium cabins than I would otherwise have done.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by fruitcage
They do indeed seem to upgrade those who may seem more vulnerable to temptation in preference to their best customers! I was very grateful for 2 long-haul upgrades WTP-CW within a couple of months shortly after attaining Silver but then nothing in 2 years since. Unfortunately the sneaky BA strategy worked perfectly on me and I am now certainly spending more on premium cabins than I would otherwise have done.
I agree, and the sweet spot for upgrades seems to be Silvers booked in WTP. Silvers, so that they can dream that Gold will provide even better benefits, such as upgrades more often (haha), and WTP because that cabin often fills right up on long hauls. Since I became Gold I haven't had any upgrades no matter what cabin I've booked long haul, whereas as a Silver, I had two in a single year, out of about 15 long-haul flights total.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
A nice op-up to F from J on the LHR-DEL route (which was booked as WTP and GUF’d). Didn’t show until I hit the B gate lounge, had timed departure from Flounge pretty well so was going to reach gate 10 minutes befor closing but late delay meant I diverted to lounge. I’ll take that trade-off (almost) always
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton HHonnors Gold, Accor Gold
I was upgraded last Saturday on a flight from LHR to ORD, I was in economy and was double upgraded to CW upstairs on the 747, very nice.
Having not flown much with BA the last couple of years I am currently only on Bronze....but I was Gold for 5 years before my travel dropped.
Maybe I was just lucky or BA are dangling the carrot? Either way it was a nice surprise when I checked in.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Not really an upgrade per se but my LHR-BRU flight had a last minute equipment swap to the mid haul A321. Lie flat seat on my 45min flight to Brussels!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
So, a bit of an interesting one here. Flight SAN to LHR and booked in CW. Got to the gate and when boarding commences I breeze through, no beeps whatsoever. Halfway to the aircraft I hear my name paged so after some consideration walk back and then receive the message I have been upgraded to F. Never had this before but highly appreciated nonetheless. 😊

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.