So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
Y to J on a LCY-ORY RFS last Saturday morning. I was more afraid of missing the flight than anything else, as I got stuck for ten minutes at Canning Town waiting for a Woolwich Arsenal train.

Arrived at City at T-20, and was still putting my belt back on at Gate 5 when I got the magic beep. Asked for Bucks Fizz and was given two orange juices and two mini champagnes... for a 45 min flight. No complaints!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:37 am

Unwnated downgrade from emergency exit row class to panini class on EDI-LHR yesterday
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold
J to F to Cape Town on Sunday 4th February. Loads were looking heavy, and my ticket was relatively last minute so quite expensive in J - Gold Card. Was refreshing app, and as I got to the gate, seat number changed to 2K. Very pleased
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
ET to CE on Monday 15th BA564: LHR - LIN occurred while sitting in the Lounge.

Left my exit row seat 10C for 2C. Did not really need the breakfast as I had eaten in the CCR but the free middle seat was good. Did miss the exit room in a way, like rossmacd above.

New boss remained in ET () but had at least he had enjoyed a CCR breakfast!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred Plus, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Four of us all booked in WTP on the 239 to Boston on separate tickets. All four of us got opups to Club. What are the chances?!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:09 am

BA263 LHR-RUH
WT+ to CW
QR Gold (OWS)
February 10th

Was very surprised to get the upgrade although it was most welcome. Switched into 20F on 86J 747 so honeymoon seat. Crew were excellent and a very pleasant flight.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by pondhopper79
Four of us all booked in WTP on the 239 to Boston on separate tickets. All four of us got opups to Club. What are the chances?!
I've had a couple of intriguing ones like this. Got upgraded last year to 1A and 1C from right down the back coming home from Bergen (RIP) with a colleague, having booked the two tickets entirely separately. I'm GGL and he's Blue. I concluded that they needed two seats for a couple, I was top of the algorithmic list for the upgrade, and he got swept up for the upgrade as well having checked into the seat next to me. Not sure if this is a pattern worthy of note, but it's happened twice now - both on short haul.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:01 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
Pleased to report a positive Amex241 OpUp from J-F, for both of us.

SEA-LHR. Amex 241 in CW. Travelling with Mrs J, both GCH. Checkin agents were pushing AUP's hard, at around $700pp IIRC. Lounge announcements also mentioning upgrade space available to purchase.

So we proceed to the gate to board. BEEP. Oh dear, I thought, having read reports of BA targeting 241 users for downgrades.

But, we were both upgraded J-F, and very well looked after by the crew, probably the best F experience to date in fact.

To think I nearly did a UUA a few weeks before but decided to save my Avios!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Myself and colleague flying CW from PHX to LHR on different PNRs. Whilst commenting about the fee to upgrade at checkin to F, the agent said that this had been reduced to $499. I thanked her, but declined. My colleague noticed an hour later that her BP in the app had changed to F. I looked and so had mine. Not sure if just coincidence
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Got the double-beep at the gate and thus the op-up from WTP to CW from LHR-SFO today. I'm an AA EXP/OWE. J cabin was fairly empty so they were moving people from awkward seat options (ie window/aisle pair and honeymoon seats) if they were traveling alone to other seats. Had the whole lower-floor 744 honeymoon seat pair to myself, which was wonderful - one seat for sleeping/napping and the other to take meals, a great big cocoon. WT was fairly open too; just WTP was oversold by 6-7 seats. Explains why the quoted AUP was so low at 405 pounds
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
sunday feb 18th, ba 872 lhr to krk, around 11am I noticed the blocked middle beside me had already become occupied so I knew it was a busy flight

shortly after check in closed I noticed on the app my seat had been changed from 10A to 3C(the last row in a small CE cabin)

got new boarding passes printed in the lounge and saw my boarding group had gone from group 2 to group 1 as part of the op up
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Master srbrenna has just been upgraded J -F on todays BA39 LHR-PEK. He is a Blue and it was on an Avios ticket.

He is is about to take off. His last text said Im still pinching myself. Rather puts some comments on here in perspective...
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Not really the finest upgrade as its an old 3 class 777 but just went to check in online and have been upgraded from Y to W tomorrow on BA 2273- LGW-JFK.

Seat map showing Y2. Im not really an expert with these things. Does that mean that BA can still sell 2 more seats in respects to the fact its already oversold the plane? Or is that the number of seats genuinely left on the aircraft to fill? Im assuming the former or I wouldnt have gotten my U/G
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Not really the finest upgrade as its an old 3 class 777 but just went to check in online and have been upgraded from Y to W tomorrow on BA 2273- LGW-JFK.

Seat map showing Y2. Im not really an expert with these things. Does that mean that BA can still sell 2 more seats in respects to the fact its already oversold the plane? Or is that the number of seats genuinely left on the aircraft to fill? Im assuming the former or I wouldnt have gotten my U/G
Seat map?

If you mean ExpertFlyer then Y2 means there are two tickets to be sold in economy as long as you pay full fare (ouch!).

Just because the cabin is oversold, it doesn't mean that the plane is. They may be willing to move people further forward again into business from premium economy (and indeed, a double op-up, while rare isn't completely out of the question). Alternatively, if all cabins are oversold then they may be counting on some people to be hung over/only really want a one way/get stuck in traffic/willing to pay a change fee and not be on the flight, or just take the view that 600 and a reroute from LHR for someone else is worth it to get that last full flex Y sale.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver
This is my question though as ExpertFlyer is saying all cabins are not oversold, Y2 as I mentioned and I think it was about W2, J4 off the top of my head. So why have I got bumped if theyve still got 2 to sell?

There are similar stories of people getting U/Gs on this thread and their class showing availability, which is particularly telling if youre in Y

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.