Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Upgraded LHR-BHD Y to J. Only a short flight but really great service by one of the FA, so good I gave her a Golden Ticket.
PaulJWoodgate likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:02 am

One guy got moved wt+ to cw yesterday just before take off (lhr-lax). Club was busy but think there was one seat available. Guess he asked and got!

meanwhile I asked for an upgrade quote for next week and it's £4,000 for two people into club. Insanity.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Savvysaz
One guy got moved wt+ to cw yesterday just before take off (lhr-lax). Club was busy but think there was one seat available. Guess he asked and got!

I have my doubts that it was as simple as that.

I wasn't there, so obviously don't know the specifics. But I suspect he was identified and singled out by the CSD on the basis of status.

Plus, there are many cases (can't say I've personally witnessed the scenario on any recent BA flights .... but I certainly have with other carriers in the past) of people being moved once onboard because they are well-known to /friends of CC (or even of flight deck crew). Yes, "against the rules", I'm well aware, and with all manner of potential consequences - but that of itself doesn't stop it happening.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:32 am

I wasn't there, so obviously don't know the specifics. But I suspect he was identified and singled out by the CSD on the basis of status
probably true plus he was travelling alone, so although I'm silver I was travelling in a pair.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Upgraded today from WTP to CW for BA213 (LHR-BOS) tomorrow. Noticed that my seat number had changed before I did OLCI this afternoon. Even had enough time to move myself to a better seat, although needless to say all of the top deck was already taken. The WTP cabin that I was booked in was certainly pretty packed - only two other seats showing as available.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
CX713, BKK-SIN, upgraded from Premium Economy to Business at check in - flying on the B787-900. Haven't slept yet as I was out all night so the flatbed is much appreciated!

This was a redemption ticket using BA Avios.
CX have 787s now? I thought they were all 777/330/350?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
CX713, BKK-SIN, upgraded from Premium Economy to Business at check in - flying on the B787-900. Haven't slept yet as I was out all night so the flatbed is much appreciated!

This was a redemption ticket using BA Avios.
Congrats on the upgrade, just one minor thing - not that it matters much when it comes to getting upgraded from PE to J: CX do not have any 787s in their fleet. You were almost certainly on the A359, which is, IMHO, one of the best planes in their fleet! I hope you enjoyed your flight!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:15 am

J-F on yesterday’s BA8 from Haneda.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Congrats on the upgrade, just one minor thing - not that it matters much when it comes to getting upgraded from PE to J: CX do not have any 787s in their fleet. You were almost certainly on the A359, which is, IMHO, one of the best planes in their fleet! I hope you enjoyed your flight!
I had an upgrade on the same route recently and it was indeed an A359, was particularly impressed with the huge screen on the IFE, especially after the same class on an older 777 with BA.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Savvysaz
probably true plus he was travelling alone, so although I'm silver I was travelling in a pair.

More likely, even having high status (Gold/GGL) didn't swing it - possibly staff on personal travel, friends & family of the crew or similar: upgrades on grounds of "status" (which BA doesn't really do...these are more likely op-ups due to seating requirements) are more likely to show up shortly before check-in, or between check-in and the gate. Pretty rare, I think, for status along to result in an upgrade on board when there is no operational need.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
By contrast, I travel plenty as a Gold and solo and have never had an upgrade "on-board" like this - even where I have seen groups of 2-3 people pulled forward by the CSD once on board...so either they had seriously high status but more likely staff/friends & family - clearly not op-ups as the cabins they came from in those instances had plenty of space left
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:32 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Smile

Originally Posted by ratypus
By contrast, I travel plenty as a Gold and solo and have never had an upgrade "on-board" like this - even where I have seen groups of 2-3 people pulled forward by the CSD once on board...so either they had seriously high status but more likely staff/friends & family - clearly not op-ups as the cabins they came from in those instances had plenty of space left
A bit like when in a hospital clinic waiting room, a member of staff or someone known to the consultant jumps the queue and gets seen first, whilst everyone else waits patiently.
PaulJWoodgate likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL
GOT-LHR earlier this week, immediately after LHR-GOT, when doing a back to back to commence an ex-EU TATL. Crew were very surprised to see me again mere minutes after wishing me a nice stay in Sweden. One taps me on the shoulder as I turn down the aisle back to 12A, “Would you prefer to sit in row 1?” Was very happy to receive full CE service too.

No such luck on LHR-LAX the next day, though, despite J0.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
DXB-LHR BA108 WTP-CW earlier this week. Both Y and prem v full - turned down £600 each to upgrade at checkin desk - day flight, after all - but ticket pinged at gate with new upgraded boarding passes.... Mrs 13A recently dropped from Gold to Silver, if that makes a difference, and we noted our WTP seats were taken.... At any rate, many thanks BA....
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
ET to CE on CDG-LHR. A bit of shame it was on this short flight (no delays coming into Heathrow so extremely short flight) but can't complain. Great staff and service, even as an upgraded pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.