Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
I got my first CW->F opup last week LHR-ORD.
Checking in I asked if the flight was full. Agent said it was full "down the back", then asked if I was booked in Y+ as "there's a message". Bit odd, didn't think anything of it.

At the gate I got the magic beep. I thought the agent said "You've been upgraded?", and I was about to say that I had actually paid for J, but then I realised she had said "You've been upgraded!". 5K rather than 64K.

Honestly the flight was only ok. No CSM welcome, not called by name, food took forever (and was served stone cold soup that the crew were unable to reheat). I appreciated the upgrade, but only reinforced the point that BA F isn't worth the money, especially given the high standards on a lot of airlines in J. The LPGS was very welcome though
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by shefgab
I got my first CW->F opup last week LHR-ORD.
Checking in I asked if the flight was full. Agent said it was full "down the back", then asked if I was booked in Y+ as "there's a message". Bit odd, didn't think anything of it.

At the gate I got the magic beep. I thought the agent said "You've been upgraded?", and I was about to say that I had actually paid for J, but then I realised she had said "You've been upgraded!". 5K rather than 64K.

Honestly the flight was only ok. No CSM welcome, not called by name, food took forever (and was served stone cold soup that the crew were unable to reheat). I appreciated the upgrade, but only reinforced the point that BA F isn't worth the money, especially given the high standards on a lot of airlines in J. The LPGS was very welcome though

Strange how different experiences can be. Perhaps it depends on your expectations. I never expect an upgrade nor anything else but that the plane will get to where I want to get to. I however appreciate an upgrade.
On Monday evening, checked in at T5 for J flight to Hong Kong to be given 4A. Nothing said at check in about an upgrade and had been trying for a couple of days for a paid upgrade but nothing doing.
Flight was good, immediate CSM welcome and lively chat about Hong Kong, Peter the CC was excellent, attentive but not overbearing and got 6 hours sleep. I believe from a number of F flights that the BA product is still competitive - for examples look at posts on other forums. The grass is not always greener elsewhere
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:02 am

A much appreciated WTP to CW on the BA72 AUH to LHR last night.

104 pax got on in Abu Dhabi last night. I don't know how they are going to fill 2 separate flights to AUH and Muscat come November.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My friends, one blue and one Gold (same PNR) were upgraded recently from WT (not WTP) to CW on LHR-ORD.

I received a text from the Blue one saying he had been upgraded to "First Class". But when he sent a pic I could see it was 64A on the UD. In any case, very good upgrades.

On the way back they were both upgraded to Biz on AA operated CLT-LHR as well as their E75 operated domestic feeder. Gold was top of the upgrade list, Blue no 5.

ex-EU O class tickets .

EDIT: I forgot to mention. On the EU feeders he had Gold greetings both ways, Glenlivet fetched from CE and a Gold greeting on LHR-ORD with LPGS brought from F.

That is bloody good going.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
My friends, one blue and one Gold (same PNR) were upgraded recently from WT (not WTP) to CW on LHR-ORD.

I received a text from the Blue one saying he had been upgraded to "First Class". But when he sent a pic I could see it was 64A on the UD. In any case, very good upgrades.

On the way back they were both upgraded to Biz on AA operated CLT-LHR as well as their E75 operated domestic feeder. Gold was top of the upgrade list, Blue no 5.

ex-EU O class tickets .

EDIT: I forgot to mention. On the EU feeders he had Gold greetings both ways, Glenlivet fetched from CE and a Gold greeting on LHR-ORD with LPGS brought from F.

That is bloody good going.
Bizarrely I was also on the upgrade list and upgraded on a LGa-YYZ flight last week. Not sure why AA are putting emeralds on the upgrade list.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: BA, Hilton, IHG
Good start to the week

BA834 LHR to Dublin positioning flight for ex-eu US trip. Me and a colleague got bumped into cw. No more back of the plane for me this trip! ORD in UC VS next. ^
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Had a double upgrade yesterday LHR to IAD which was much appreciated. WT to WTP at online check in and then WTP to CW at the Lounge gate when I arrived (a thought not at the bag drop off and passport check curiously). Anyway, allowed for some catch up sleep which was great.

Buddman
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
Upgraded to CE on tonight's 376 LHR-TLS. I checked in online last night (HBO fare) and had been assigned a window seat (I prefer aisle), there wasn't much choice left so I treated myself to an exit row seat (12D)

Whilst waiting at the gate I glanced at my smartphone and noticed that the seat assignment had changed to 1D. They were still priority boarding only at that stage so I walked up to the desk and politely asked if I had been upgraded, whereupon the gate agent smiled, pushed a few buttons and handed me a new BP. Deep joy.

The flight was completely full, they were offering to check bags into the hold FOC at the gate.

By the time I get home at the end of the week, I will make Bronze (the long way, by number of flights)! This upgrade was the second one this year, so twice in 24 flights.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
I had an offer to move from Y to F on a domestic AA flight recently too - but while I was actually already seated on the plane. The CSD came back and said there was a spare seat "up front" if I wanted to move. I was with my girlfriend so declined, but had continuous booze & extra drinks delivered without answering instead.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Upgraded from WTP to CW on MAA to LHR on Sunday 14. Asked at check in for a price and was quoted £440 so I declined then got upgraded at the gate.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was upgraded (or rather downgraded from a nice exit row seat) to CE on BA820 (LHR-CPH) last Saturday.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:04 pm

Whole family WTP to CW, LGW to JFK

I have AA Plat (Sapphire). We had four seats in WTP.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:34 am

Upgraded from CW to F on BA198 (BOM-LHR) on Sunday.

I was approached by the CSD after boarding was complete and invited to move to F.

CW wasn't full, there were a few empty seats.

Food was so-so, service was very good to excellent (constant drink/coffee top ups, chips/crisps were conjured up when I requested them to accompany a pre lunch drink)

The flight was the outbound leg of a BOM-LHR-BOM booked in CW out / WT in.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Not only was I upgraded on the way out to BOM, but refreshed the app on the way to the BOM this morning to see I'd been moved forward from WTP into Club for the flight back to LHR (along with my colleague).

I'd been getting POUG all week in MMB for various prices from £300 to £450. Was tempted as well!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
I had an onboard upgrade today from the most charming CSD on a 380 return from IAD. I had a Y exit row (70A) seat that had a thin replacement seat cushion - you could feel all the metal seat frame quite obviously when sitting - uncomfortable for a long flight ( side note - not sure why they are putting such substandard replacement parts in their newest aircraft) . Plane was very full so I was moved downstairs after takeoff to a properly constructed seat. CSD came to my chair 5 minutes later with a "please follow me Mr Buddman" and she led me to CW. She said the airline "would not survive without loyal customers such as you". Normally you just get CSD robo-speak as directed by an iPad - in this instance she sounded genuinely sincere and I actually felt a bit special �� Ah shucks. Enjoyed the sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.