Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Has anyone ever received - and then refused an upgrade from ET to CE?
I'm just asking because I know I would. I always nab an exit row early when I book and if I was "upgraded" to a seat with less legroom I would be none too impressed. I guess maybe they don't upgrade ET exit row PAX for that reason?
Yesterday I was upgraded from ET to CE. I was originally in 11B which was an exit row on the new A320. I didn't refused it for two reason. The upgrade happened at the boarding (interestingly not at checking phase, I checked in a bag. Btw the flight was J0Y0 couple of days before flight) plus the flight was totally full so I was a bit happier to sit in an isle seat and middle seat blocked. So yes Ba can move you out from exit row and upgrade you.
Also just for reference the ticket was a gold double avios ticket.

Last edited by Krisz; May 29, 2018 at 5:22 am
Old May 29, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
J -> F today on BA 117. Was F5 A0 J4 C0 W5 Y0 T-48hrs.

It's my 3rd J->F in a row on BA metal westbound trans-atlantic flights. Caveat: I tend to book reasonably popular business flights (midweek 293, 117 on the first working day of the week)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
62A has become 4A on LHR-JFK this morning - CCR here I come...
our_kid and Calum like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
My flight from LGW-GLA was cancelled on Thursday and I was put on a flight from LCY, with an upgrade to Club. This meant loss of lounge access and the same seat whether in Club or Economy. Seats were available on the new flight so I am not sure why i was upgraded. This second flight was then cancelled and I got onto an earlier flight from LCY, still in Club. Three pax in two rows of CLub so at least the seat next to me was empty.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:39 am

J - F at boarding for NRT-LHR yesterday. Lost a window seat but small price to pay for excellent flight (and first time in F on the 789.) Flight had looked like it was overbooked in J (and W) at T-24 with only a couple of seats taken in F so had been optimistic of my chances! First J-F in 2.5 years (as a GCH)
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ All the AMEX Plat things
Pleasant surprise on this mornings flight. BA798 HEL>LHR, ET >CE. Had magic bleep at the gate. Y was completely full. (Start of Finland schools 10 week summer Holidays?)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Y to J on ZAG flight. Rejected it as travelling with someone. First upgrade in like 18 months - CIV 90+ for what its worth.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Not massively recent experience, but thought I'd share my fortunate experiences.

I had a flurry of flights in 2016 with AF, KL and latterly BA. No upgrades from KLM or AF but I've been really lucky with BA.

Booked two return trips NCL-LHR-GIG in W (last return leg via MAD in Y). First outbound was my first ever W and enjoyed it. On checking in at Rio, I was handed a CW boarding pass (lowly BA Blue at this point). I was promptly despatched to the Plaza Premium lounge where I took advantage of the caipirinhas on tap, before crashing out on the plane for 10 hours. As someone who finds it very difficult to sleep on planes it was somewhat disorientating to wake after a full night's sleep.

Largely believing it was a one off, I was bumped to J again on the outbound of my next trip to Rio. Sadly the return was with Iberia who don't offer a W equivalent so no chance there.

Last year myself and the wife did NCL-LHR-JFK in W, with one leg originally booked in Y and UUA. I was Bronze and the wife Blue. Astonishingly, we were both free upgraded to J in both directions. Done at check in desk in NCL and after check in at JFK (noticed seat number change in the app).

So in summary, I've flown 5 long haul BA segments in W and been upgraded 4 times. Might as well give up flying now as I think I must have used up my entitlement now!
armouredant likes this.

Last edited by bigwalrus; Jun 3, 2018 at 3:09 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
LHR-FRA 04/06 EF was showing only 2 seats available in ET 1 hour before flight. At gate ... 3 people ahead of me in Group 1 got upgraded to CE. My turn and BP beeped ... upgraded to 1A. :-) And they had catering for all in CE.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Baec
Got upgraded from a WT seat all the way up to a first seat on BA010 from Bangkok on Monday. Not sure if this counts as a triple upgrade as there was no first class service so Flub class really.
Someone definitely wanted me in that cabin though. The day before travelling I'd noticed that I'd been moved from WT to a CW window seat and was of course very happy.
Before setting off to the airport I noticed I was now in 2F and thought that this was in the middle of a 4 so moved myself back to the window seat. When I got to the airport I'd been moved again to 2A.
Very nice seat.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
Got upgraded from a WT seat all the way up to a first seat on BA010 from Bangkok on Monday. Not sure if this counts as a triple upgrade as there was no first class service so Flub class really.
Someone definitely wanted me in that cabin though. The day before travelling I'd noticed that I'd been moved from WT to a CW window seat and was of course very happy.
Before setting off to the airport I noticed I was now in 2F and thought that this was in the middle of a 4 so moved myself back to the window seat. When I got to the airport I'd been moved again to 2A.
Very nice seat.
Wow I hope you enjoyed?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Great to see so many people get upgrades.

Can I ask how BA decide who and when people get them?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by eugegall
Great to see so many people get upgrades. Can I ask how BA decide who and when people get them?
its an anathema wrapped in a riddle.. No one really knows but a blend of an computer algorithm based on your spend/status mixed with luck and timing. Some flying on busy routes in small cabins get regular upgrades whilst other more deserving passengers ( like me ) get overlooked time and again.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
its an anathema wrapped in a riddle.. No one really knows but a blend of an computer algorithm based on your spend/status mixed with luck and timing. Some flying on busy routes in small cabins get regular upgrades whilst other more deserving passengers ( like me ) get overlooked time and again.
Fair enough.

I couldn't work out how but I guess its a big secret. I'm sure there are lots of hand chose, operational upgrades based in loads but like you say, most will be computer generated.

Here is me hoping for an upgrade to our first F in Oct when we fly to JNB. Fat chance as I believe its a pretty regular busy route.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Travelling back from DXB-LHR yesterday, and went to bag drop with a colleague who is bronze EC. I drop my bag off and I’m offered a paid upgrade from WT+ to Club for Ł460. I decline. Colleague checks in straight after and gets told he has been given the same upgrade, but for free. Same thing happened last month on the way back from SAN with my boss (silver EC)...

Walking through the airport and I start grumbling, how can they give people who fly less a free upgrade when I get nothing, how I’m going to start looking at other carriers, moan moan, and we get to the BA lounge. The girl takes my boarding pass to scan me into the lounge and I get the double beep from the machine. “Here got go, Mr Tredders, you’ve just been given a complimentary upgrade to Club”.

Of course, BA was instantly the best thing since sliced bread again 😀
SLGO and eugegall like this.

Last edited by Tredders; Jun 7, 2018 at 10:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.