Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel the three op ups and out policy is just as much correct as no E/L/K/W op-ups on LH...i.e. its not my experience.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
I'd be interested to know if any BAEC Golds have been upgraded on AA or US flights, or do they always fill their premium seats with their own status passengers?
I have received one, from J to F on the premium transcon A321, LAX-JFK, last July.

Consider myself very lucky as AA elites get the lion's share of upgrades....
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Blue; Marriott Rewards Silver
I had booked a one-way JFK-LHR WT+ using Avios to be on the 747. I couldn't OLCI and was told to check-in at the airport. Arrived at JFK and my seat number wasn't assigned. I was asked if London was my final destination, which it was and was offered to travel to LCY instead on the A318 Baby Bus, which I gladly accepted! This was my first time on this route and what a way to travel!

I was a solo traveller and a lowly Blue! Travel date was July 1st 2015.

Last edited by SunnyM6; Jul 7, 2015 at 5:57 am Reason: Added travel date
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
I had a BP for BA002, and approached the desk last night to see if there were any seat pairs free so I could fly on my own. Was told the flight was full, in fact oversold, and would I consider travelling to LHR on the BA112 in F. Yes please, thanks very much.

Whilst not free, I managed to pay for an upgrade from J to F on the LAX-JFK flight yesterday, and also managed to get the flight changed to an earlier one at the LAX Flagship lounge.

All in all, a good flying day and a fantastic finale to my Hawaii trip.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:30 am

I got op-uped from W to J again on my return to JFK (the 183 on 4th July) which makes both my l/h legs on that trip being op-uped. This was on an Avios redemption booking too.

One data point to add: the new pre-ordered meal option did not stop me getting the upgrade, and indeed the CC checked to see if I still wanted my pre-selection. Obviously the main course for WTP is from the CW menu which presumably mitigates any negative impact on upgrade chances the pre-order might have at least between those two cabins.

A question for those more than experienced with such things: when my changed seat assignment came through on the app, not long before the gate opened, my boarding pass was still showing as WTP but with a CW seat assignment. If I'd had more time, would that have given me lounge access or does the class on the boarding pass take precedence over the class of assigned seat?

Last edited by rpjs; Jul 7, 2015 at 6:38 am
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rpjs
I got op-uped from W to J again on my return to JFK (the 183 on 4th July) which makes both my l/h legs on that trip being op-uped. This was on an Avios redemption booking too.

One data point to add: the new pre-ordered meal option did not stop me getting the upgrade, and indeed the CC checked to see if I still wanted my pre-selection. Obviously the main course for WTP is from the CW menu which presumably mitigates any negative impact on upgrade chances the pre-order might have at least between those two cabins.

A question for those more than experienced with such things: when my changed seat assignment came through on the app, not long before the gate opened, my boarding pass was still showing as WTP but with a CW seat assignment. If I'd had more time, would that have given me lounge access or does the class on the boarding pass take precedence over the class of assigned seat?
The lounge guardian is unlikely to have known what seats are in what cabin.

However, if you could get the boarding pass re-printed or refreshed it should have shown your new cabin class and gained you access to the appropriate lounge.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
These guys got a free upgrade...

N.B: Think there were some earlier threads on self-upgrading... May work on BA? Don't try it with the Chinese...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ght-delay.html
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by roarss
I've been bumped up from WT+ to J twice in the past month(!); both to Canada (Vancouver & Montreal) - for both my return flights were already processed as avios upgrades to J. Check in was usually 24hrs on the dot along with mobile boarding pass.

I noticed on the last, to Montreal, looking at the app 2hrs before departure I was bouncing around on a new seat the CW cabin (I already had my mobile boarding pass for WT+ - so made a quick screen grabs to prove if later downgraded). Vancouver, the UG was already applied when I went to check-in.

I'm silver. Last time I was UG was 7yrs ago while silver and flying BA to Auckland (Via QF via LAX) on the QF flight from W to J.
Thats awesome, well done
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'd be interested to know if any BAEC Golds have been upgraded on AA or US flights, or do they always fill their premium seats with their own status passengers?
I've received several domestic upgrades when using an AA SWU on an AA TATL flight. I believe that's the process: upgrade domestic segments as well (if the TATL segment cleared).

I've also received a limited number of operational upgrades albeit mostly due to aircraft changes. I've seen everything from old 767s with TATL C and 777 with (old) international F being deployed esp. to/from MIA (domestic routes). In two cases I noticed (thanks AA app and EF) that my seat was gone (e.g. no more Main Cabin Extra due to equipment change) and approached the gate agents to get a new seat. Both times they upgraded me right away.

I try to get on 738s with AA since all planes >=N935NN have the new interior and are just fine with me in MCE.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
I was bumped from ET to CE on the DUS - LCY flight last Sunday (Silver status, completely full flight.

on the Saab 2000 operated by Eastern Airways there was no free seat next to me. Furthermore, the aircraft is usually catered from LCY but as it nightstops at DUS for more than 24 hours from Saturday to Sunday, it was 'emergency catered' from DUS. The cabin crew told us that the catering wouldn't be what we would usually expect - how right she was!

I sincerely hope that this doesn't count towards my 3 op-ups and you are out! If it does I'd have rather not have had it.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
opup LHR to JFK sunday evening from WT to WT+ which was weird.

removed from my exit row WT seat upon OLCI and seated farther back in WT. en route to LHR i saw i was moved to a middle WT+ seat (not preferred over aisle WT) and finally rejected at fast trak so had to get a new boarding card for an aisle WT+

gold, avios redemption. strange i was moved around so much in a few hours.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Op-Up on the US743 to PHL from BCN. 7H to 3H in J class. Was very nice indeed! It came as a welcome surprise. US are making a habit of upgrading me (my 3rd op-up in 3 journeys) and I've never been upgraded on BA for 2 years.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by bullroot
Upgraded at gate last night from 64A to 1A DXB-LHR.

Am well past the rumoured 3 per year now, thankfully.
Another upgrade DXB-LHR, again from upper deck to 1A; that's 4 upgrades out of flying this route 5 times since January. Pretty good strike rate out of Dubai it seems.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, BA Blue, Thai Silver
Sydney - London?

Sorry to ask here (but it seems vaguely appropriate). Am booked WT+ Sydney to LHR (and on to Zurich if that matters) on 15 July. Can anyone with the appropriate tools please check the loads on the BA16?

Am not really expecting any upgrade (and annoyingly can't POUG on this flight), but interested to know if at all possible.

Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by shorttd
Sorry to ask here (but it seems vaguely appropriate). Am booked WT+ Sydney to LHR (and on to Zurich if that matters) on 15 July. Can anyone with the appropriate tools please check the loads on the BA16?

Am not really expecting any upgrade (and annoyingly can't POUG on this flight), but interested to know if at all possible.
BA16 SYD-LHR on 15/Jul/15

UK POS: F5 A5 J8 C1 DC RC IC W5 E2 TC Y2 B2 H2 K1 M1 L1 V1 SC NC QC OC G0
US POS: F5 A5 J7 C7 D6 R5 I5 W4 E4 T3 Y2 B2 H2 K1 M1 L1 V1 S1 Q1 G0

Based on the above WT may be oversold but WTP possibly not.

Also in future the correct thread for this sort of request is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ght-loads.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.